Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
He isn't being "bad" or "doing the wrong thing". It's his house, his territory, he sees no reason why he shouldn't be allowed the same places you are.

Spraying a cat, he has no idea why you are doing it, all it does is create stress and probably make him afraid of you. Same for the yelling. These actions do not teach a cat anything.

Stress will make a cat sick eventually, then you will have vet bills.

The OP doesn't want to keep him off the counter, s/he wants to keep him out of the kitchen all together. A studio apartment, which means the cat has one room and the kitchen, however big it may be.

Pointless exercise really, because a cat will go where he wants when you aren't around.
Right. I tried this with a cat many years ago. Ha on me! It's not a big deal. She mainly wanted the counter that was up high. I could have built her something up high to compensate, but I really didn't have the room. So that was hers. Just clean it, no biggy. I find cats everywhere they are not supposed to be. The more forbidden it is, the more they want to go there.

In fact I think I can re-claim my nightstand. Since I gave up and took everything off it for them, they don't use it as their route anymore. Cats are the boss. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,042 times
My fur baby loves going in my living room and kitchen where I don't want her. For the kitchen, she likes to climb atop the microwave. There is a window nearby. I put comet cleanser on top of the microwave and she doesn't go up there now. She very well might go on my counter tops, but I just live with it.

Under no circumstances is she allowed on my living room furniture. I trained her to forget those chairs. I purchased those shock mats to keep her off because otherwise, she would tear my furniture to shreds. The mats are strategically placed and she's not interested in going in the living room now. I have it on the lowest setting and it just startled her and made her say, never mind.

There are other chairs she can lay on though. She has beds all over the house (even mine), but no digging of my furniture for her. LOL.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
My fur baby loves going in my living room and kitchen where I don't want her. For the kitchen, she likes to climb atop the microwave. There is a window nearby. I put comet cleanser on top of the microwave and she doesn't go up there now. She very well might go on my counter tops, but I just live with it.

Under no circumstances is she allowed on my living room furniture. I trained her to forget those chairs. I purchased those shock mats to keep her off because otherwise, she would tear my furniture to shreds. The mats are strategically placed and she's not interested in going in the living room now. I have it on the lowest setting and it just startled her and made her say, never mind.

There are other chairs she can lay on though. She has beds all over the house (even mine), but no digging of my furniture for her. LOL.
Why don't you just provide your cat with cat-furniture she can scratch? There are thousands of choices of scratchers.

Why isn't she allowed to look out the window? You put comet on this surface, which would poison her if she gets it on her paws (because she would lick it off)? What the heck is wrong with you?

Why do you even have a cat if she's not allowed to be anywhere you actually spend time awake?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why don't you just provide your cat with cat-furniture she can scratch? There are thousands of choices of scratchers.

Why isn't she allowed to look out the window? You put comet on this surface, which would poison her if she gets it on her paws (because she would lick it off)? What the heck is wrong with you?

Why do you even have a cat if she's not allowed to be anywhere you actually spend time awake?

I just said that she has beds and such. She does have a scratching post. She had one when she scratched up all the wood on our doors at the bottom and on the bannister. Who are you to tell me how to tend to my cat?

Don't ever......please.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 PM

She won't go up on the microwave, cause you can SMELL comet. It's been up there for years now. I add more as time goes by and all she needed was a couple of times going up there to keep her off. Her hair gets everywhere, so I don't want her up there.

My house, my rules.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
That's a lot to expect from a cat. A dog would work but a cat is a cat.
You can use scat mats to keep your cat off counters.
I understand the hair issue but if you have A/C and fans or even open windows, the air circulates in your place and the hair gets airborne and taken everywhere. I know this. I have permanently closed bedrooms from the pets and there is always a pile of cat hair blown in under the beds.

Mouse traps set on the counter with newspaper covering them. I never used this but it sounds like it'd work. Hope your cat has quick reflexes.

And make sure his areas are full of high places, fun, nothing to worry about and you spend more time with him there than you do in the kitchen away from him. My three stay off the counters most of the time but I also have lots of stuff on mine to detour them from waltzing around. One loves to snuggle up under my computer chair which is in the kitchen area. Another likes to sunbathe in the window behind my computer. Your cat wants to be near you so yeah don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen and you'll be golden.

Last edited by Sollaces; 08-12-2017 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
I just said that she has beds and such. She does have a scratching post. She had one when she scratched up all the wood on our doors at the bottom and on the bannister. Who are you to tell me how to tend to my cat?

Don't ever......please.
You take a very abusive stance on cat care. Shock mats, poisonous cleansers on surfaces... maybe you shouldn't have a cat at all.

My cat goes wherever she wants to except for the stove (which she isn't interested in) and she's much happier and content for it. She wants to sit on the arm of the sofa and look out the front windows, that's fine with me. I have a vacuum with a pet hair attachment. I use white vinegar and water (the only cleanser that is safe for cats) for when she jumps on the counter on her way up onto the kitchen cabinets, which is the highest perch in the house. She gets to pick her own spots where she wants to hang out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces
Mouse traps set on the counter with newspaper covering them. I never used this but it sounds like it'd work. Hope your cat has quick reflexes.
And how are you going to explain the injuries to the vet if the cat isn't quick enough??

There's a few folks posting here who have no business having or being around cats. They don't respond well to punitive training methods.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You take a very abusive stance on cat care. Shock mats, poisonous cleansers on surfaces... maybe you shouldn't have a cat at all.

My cat goes wherever she wants to except for the stove (which she isn't interested in) and she's much happier and content for it. She wants to sit on the arm of the sofa and look out the front windows, that's fine with me. I have a vacuum with a pet hair attachment. I use white vinegar and water (the only cleanser that is safe for cats) for when she jumps on the counter on her way up onto the kitchen cabinets, which is the highest perch in the house. She gets to pick her own spots where she wants to hang out.

And how are you going to explain the injuries to the vet if the cat isn't quick enough??

There's a few folks posting here who have no business having or being around cats. They don't respond well to punitive training methods.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Don't ever......please.
Who am I? Someone who actually cares about the well being of my cats, and other cats too. Someone who understands the needs of a cat, and the causes of various behaviors. Your place sounds like a real house of horrors for a cat.

If you'd provided her adequate scratching surfaces and trained her to use them (you know, spend time and attention on her?) your precious doors and banister would have remained intact.

So I offered you some advice, so the cat could have a nicer, less stressful life. She didn't ask to live with you.

Shock mats, poison, and only one place to scratch. Awful.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:

Don't ever......please.
Well, you did come on this cat forum and offer your solutions to the posted question. You should expect that not everyone is going to agree with you. We all love our cats very much, and some of us can be quite vocal about our opinions. Don't forget that many, many people read these threads, and opposing views about proper care of cats are always going to surface. That's what makes this forum a good source of information, especially for first-time cat guardians. Post your opinions and views all you want, just try not to be offended if someone disagrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats