U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,575,319 times

Advertisements

I have 4 cats. Three are 6 mth old kittens and Mama Cat. Mama apparently got out while my floors were being re-done and made me a grandma too soon. They are all gorgeous but I haven't got a clue how many breeds are in them. But there is one that will not, under any circumstances, eat cat food. Canned or dry. I've tried forcing him, I've tried "enticing" him, I've chopped, mixed, but he wins.
Butterscotch likes chocolate, milk, ham spread, bread and butter, cereal, my dogs' PIG EARS, plastic, shoe strings. The vet tells me to just let him starve for a couple of days. I can't do it. He sits there by me when I'm in the kitchen and just looks up, with his paws perfectly lined up in front of him. How can I not feed him HIS preferences? BTW, I do shove vitamins down his throat in a dropper just in case. He's growing and developing just as well as his pushy brothers and sisters!
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,463,825 times
I don't know what kind of food you have tried, but if they came from the grocery store they are not good choices. Have you tried any of the premium foods? Natural Balance and Wellness both make excellent feline formulas.

I have 2 cats. One is 5 and will eat anything. She eats the dog's food & treats, she eats whatever we are eating. She also knows that if she is hungry there is food in her bowl. My other cat is 19 and is the pickiest thing I have ever come across in my life. He eats 1/2 can of Fancy Feast Elegant medley in the morning, and other than that he can eat the Venison & Green Pea dry food that is in the bowl.

Cats will NOT starve themselves. You kitten is training you.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com

Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I have 4 cats. Three are 6 mth old kittens and Mama Cat. Mama apparently got out while my floors were being re-done and made me a grandma too soon. They are all gorgeous but I haven't got a clue how many breeds are in them. But there is one that will not, under any circumstances, eat cat food. Canned or dry. I've tried forcing him, I've tried "enticing" him, I've chopped, mixed, but he wins.
Butterscotch likes chocolate, milk, ham spread, bread and butter, cereal, my dogs' PIG EARS, plastic, shoe strings. The vet tells me to just let him starve for a couple of days. I can't do it. He sits there by me when I'm in the kitchen and just looks up, with his paws perfectly lined up in front of him. How can I not feed him HIS preferences? BTW, I do shove vitamins down his throat in a dropper just in case. He's growing and developing just as well as his pushy brothers and sisters!
Any suggestions?
Yep...I'd do what your Vet suggests. I had mine get picky for a bit and reject their normal food after I'd run out and used canned for a bit. I put the regular back in their bowls, they refused it. I didn't change it, they followed me around the house meowing and complaining...I ignored them..two days later..they ate their normal stuff. The only cat food I stopped giving them because it was clear they truly hated it was Science Diet's Hairball remedy. My cats HATE it and will not eat it, even if they're hungry. So, I threw that bag out and went back to normal regular Science Diet, and I alternate that with the light version too as my cats are older and one has middle age flaps.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I don't know what kind of food you have tried, but if they came from the grocery store they are not good choices. Have you tried any of the premium foods? Natural Balance and Wellness both make excellent feline formulas.

I have 2 cats. One is 5 and will eat anything. She eats the dog's food & treats, she eats whatever we are eating. She also knows that if she is hungry there is food in her bowl. My other cat is 19 and is the pickiest thing I have ever come across in my life. He eats 1/2 can of Fancy Feast Elegant medley in the morning, and other than that he can eat the Venison & Green Pea dry food that is in the bowl.

Cats will NOT starve themselves. You kitten is training you.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com
My other cats eat Fancy Feast canned, Proplan dry, and Friskies dry. I've tried about 4 different brands on the picky one but he won't budge. There's always a bowl with dry food for them, which I have to keep up on the counter or the dogs will make it disappear real fast. The other cats will also go for the dog food when I feed them.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Yep...I'd do what your Vet suggests. I had mine get picky for a bit and reject their normal food after I'd run out and used canned for a bit. I put the regular back in their bowls, they refused it. I didn't change it, they followed me around the house meowing and complaining...I ignored them..two days later..they ate their normal stuff. The only cat food I stopped giving them because it was clear they truly hated it was Science Diet's Hairball remedy. My cats HATE it and will not eat it, even if they're hungry. So, I threw that bag out and went back to normal regular Science Diet, and I alternate that with the light version too as my cats are older and one has middle age flaps.
Neither my dogs nor my cats will eat Science Diet. I tried the Science Diet for kittens at first but just had to throw it all out.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

613 posts, read 736,806 times
my chi won't eat anything but Science Diet adult small bites. He does like the Purina Kitten Chow I feed my new kitten. I had to take him to the vet on Monday for what I thought was a virus. He said it was probably the Blue Bell my husband shared with him on Friday, or the kitten chow lol.....anyway my vet said that dogs can tolerate cat food, but it's not good for cats to eat dog food, that there is not enough protein in dog foods for cats, that they require more.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTexas85 View Post
it's not good for cats to eat dog food, that there is not enough protein in dog foods for cats, that they require more.
I had a vet tell me that also that's why I give my picky cat some vitamins because if dog food is not good for them, I don't know what plastic and shoelaces and chocolate will do for his nutrition

Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 AM

613 posts, read 736,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I had a vet tell me that also that's why I give my picky cat some vitamins because if dog food is not good for them, I don't know what plastic and shoelaces and chocolate will do for his nutrition

lol...you're too funny!

Mine likes the electical cord that goes from my hubby's recliner into the wall, and the iron cord....one of these days I'm gonna look up and he's gonna be one fried cat!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM

892 posts, read 2,172,006 times
Mine love Nutro canned and Chicken soup for cats soul in dry.
Look at the ingredients on your dryfood. Just like humans, if you can't pronounce it, it is probably bad for them. Most stuff that they sell at grocery stores, target, walmart are crap. You don't want any "by-products" in it, which means fake chicken,beef,etc..
You can try making it's food. google cat food recipes. My mom has done this with one of her cats. Too much work for me to do.
When I got my new little dog, she obvisously was only fed canned food because that is all she would eat. I fed her canned for the first few days then cut her off. she went at least one day without eating before she finaly ate the dry. now she loves it.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
Mine love Nutro canned and Chicken soup for cats soul in dry.
Look at the ingredients on your dryfood. Just like humans, if you can't pronounce it, it is probably bad for them. Most stuff that they sell at grocery stores, target, walmart are crap. You don't want any "by-products" in it, which means fake chicken,beef,etc..
You can try making it's food. google cat food recipes. My mom has done this with one of her cats. Too much work for me to do.
When I got my new little dog, she obvisously was only fed canned food because that is all she would eat. I fed her canned for the first few days then cut her off. she went at least one day without eating before she finaly ate the dry. now she loves it.
Thanks for the ideas. Like you, I can't deal with making any special food for the pets, unless it was medically necessary. Heck, I can't make even regular food for humans! Secret- shhhhh- I'm a disaster in the kitchen. Some of my friends say I can't even boil water. They're not far from the truth. Luckily, there is a cook in my house and I get to do all the clean up Maybe I'll try cooking lessons and he can clean up. Thank goodness for McD's, pizza and hot dogs when I was raising my son, and my grandmother who would sometimes make us a care package of home made meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or