Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
We will have to disagree. Not to mention the fact that the only way my vet will take blood is by putting my cat out. Which I think clearly will do him harm unless there are long breaks in-between. So if there was no harm to it, fine. But there is. I have literally tried everything... my cat does not respond to rescue remedy or feilway. Last time we had a terrible situation where the drug gave me a drug gabatain (sp) to put him out and it didn't work and then we couldn't sedate him.

Urine is easy for me to get and it does give me some ideas as to what might be going on with him.
Then get rid of the dry food completely. It may be too late, the damage to the kidneys from a dry diet is cumulative,, as I said before. But you can help slow the progression of any damage already done, and prevent further damage, by getting rid of all dry, now.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-01-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 PM

7,200 posts, read 4,464,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Then get rid of the dry food completely. It may be too late, the damage to the kidneys from a dry diet is cumulative,, as I said before. But you can help slow the progression of any damage already done, and prevent further damage, by getting rid of all dry, now.
Can you provide me with some evidence of this? Maybe you would convince me.

As I have said before, now several times, my cat has a wet diet. He gets 2 cans of earthborn wet with added water and approximately a handful of dry KD or three other foods as a "snack / treat" Far from a "dry diet". If I were to guess I would say he gets 10 to 15 pieces of kibble.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
As I mentioned before, one thing which worked to reverse approaching kidney disease in my cat besides his raw diet (he was 16 at the time) were kidney glandulars. I have the blood test results before and after to prove it and one of these days I will have to post about it on YouTube..
Would you have a product to recommend?

Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Just as I thought. There is nothing in there that says "dry food as a snack" when you feed your cat sufficient water is dangerous. I am well aware that my cat needs water and as I mentioned I give him water plenty of it. I can state without concern that he gets a lot of water. And I can be sure of that as I give him his water in his food. So I know he consumes it.

All of those links talk about an exclusively dry diet. Agreed that an exclusively dry diet is the cause of kidney failure. Dry food per se is not. Unless you have a link that ANY dry food... eaten, even in a situation where the cat gets plenty of water, will cause or contribute to kidney failure.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Just as I thought. There is nothing in there that says "dry food as a snack" when you feed your cat sufficient water is dangerous. I am well aware that my cat needs water and as I mentioned I give him water plenty of it. I can state without concern that he gets a lot of water. And I can be sure of that as I give him his water in his food. So I know he consumes it.

All of those links talk about an exclusively dry diet. Agreed that an exclusively dry diet is the cause of kidney failure. Dry food per se is not. Unless you have a link that ANY dry food... eaten, even in a situation where the cat gets plenty of water, will cause or contribute to kidney failure.
Granted, an all dry diet is going to be much worse than a partial dry diet. But it's not just the lack of moisture that is wrong with dry pet feed.

You are forgetting about the other problems with kibble. The high carb triple processed junk food is bad for his digestion, bad for his teeth, bad for his urinary tract, bad for his blood sugar, bad for his motility, bad for his bowels..

Why are you so addicted to feeding kibble to your cat, when you know how bad it is for him? There are plenty of other, better for him, "snacks" that you could give. Freeze dried pure proteins such as made by PureBites or Whole Life for instance. There are a number of brands to choose from. Pure proteins that are nothing but the meat named. None of that other bad-for-the-cat junk in them.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-02-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Why are you so addicted to feeding kibble to your cat, when you know how bad it is for him? There are plenty of other, better for him, "snacks" that you could give. Freeze dried pure proteins such as made by PureBites or Whole Life for instance. There are a number of brands to choose from. Pure proteins that are nothing but the meat named. None of that other bad-for-the-cat junk in them.
Why are you so obsessed with making people life like you want? So bad that you will openly lie and state your view as if it is fact. It isn't. I will stick with what I think it is best for my cat.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with making people life like you want? So bad that you will openly lie and state your view as if it is fact. It isn't. I will stick with what I think it is best for my cat.
My obsession stems from hating the idea of cats suffering from being fed kibble, when they could have a much higher quality of life without it.

What lie is that? That kibble is bad for cats? That's not a lie. It's fact. Cats are strict obligate carnivores. This means they are meant to eat a diet high in meat, fat from meat sources and moisture. Not corn and fillers and carbohydrates. That isn't opinion, it is fact.

But you go right ahead and allow yourself to believe all the marketing and the uneducated clueless vets. You won't be the first. I, too, once felt that way. Fortunately, for my cats, once the 2007 melamine poisoning happened, I started learning about feline nutrition and the disgraceful lack of ethics and accountability in pet food manufacturing (talk about lying. Yeah. Do some reading you want to read about lying).

I'm still learning. (I need to add that I already knew that cats need a wet diet. In 1985 I had a male cat who blocked. This was before those crap "prescription diets" were pushed on people so much. Perhaps vets actually learned about nutrition then, instead of being "taught" by pet food companies. The vet I saw then was years ahead of his time when he told me I must never ever feed a cat dry food. They need a wet diet to thrive. It didn't take long after I switched to find out he was right.)

Someday, if you spend some time actually reading the information I provided, and even venture out to researching more on your own (Truth About Pet Food might be a good place for you to visit, Pet Fooled might be a good documentary for you to watch), you might learn too. Then perhaps you will understand my passion.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
My obsession stems from hating the idea of cats suffering from being fed kibble, when they could have a much higher quality of life without it.
Something I didn't think in time to add to this sentence. As well as wanting all cats to have a better quality of life by having better diets, I would like to see the end of these pet food manufacturers making vast profits at the expense of our pets' health and well being. So much suffering is happening because of these garbage so called "foods".

So there is the complete answer to your "why".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats