Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:44 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,622,417 times

Advertisements

We have to look at the facts here!! Yes, cat haters/abusers are to blame for deliberate injury - or worse - to the cats. And it is NEVER right to harm an animal, ever. But we cannot control horrible people who want to harm our cats. And we also can't control cars, poison, cat-hating dogs, etc. We can, however, control whether our cats go outside or not. And we are responsible for their well-being. So letting them roam away from our property and encounter potential harm is NOT taking care of them. And it's also not fair to birds and other wildlife. There are lots of ways to let cats go outside and remain safe. Cat-proof fences, cat enclosures, walking your cat, supervising your cat. But if those are not an option, keeping them indoors and providing cat trees, cat grass, toys and playtime is the responsible and safe thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Out of the 7 cats I've had, only one was hell-bent on going outside. It' didn't matter how hard you tried to keep her in, occasionally, she would get past you. We rehomed her and another cat, Jack, to my step-daughter's house. Unfortunately, she was very happy there. Then a year or so ago, she got out and never came back.
did you mean she wasn't very happy there?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:22 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
you would kill a cat rather than it go outside where it might get killed. ?
Yes, I would. I would take my cat and be there while they put it down if after I seek professional help and did everything I can to keep him inside.

It is not about you and your cat. What about your neighbors, who may have to deal with any urine markings and feces your cat leaves in their yard? Or the number of song birds being killed?

If it was a dog behaving in such a manner, it would be rehomed or put down. Same applies to cats. That is how I see it. There are numerous homeless cats waiting for a home, many who do not mind staying indoors. They die everyday waiting for a home.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Yes, I would. I would take my cat and be there while they put it down if after I seek professional help and did everything I can to keep him inside.

It is not about you and your cat. What about your neighbors, who may have to deal with any urine markings and feces your cat leaves in their yard? Or the number of song birds being killed?

If it was a dog behaving in such a manner, it would be rehomed or put down. Same applies to cats. That is how I see it.
My cats don't kill birds. Urine? There are a million dogs walking around urinating. Also squirrels and possums. My dog roles in that sometimes and the smell is horrid, but I'm not killing those creatures. I wouldn't kill a cat to save birds or prevent urine anyway. What a weird post.

Quote:
There are numerous homeless cats waiting for a home, many who do not mind staying indoors. They die everyday waiting for a home.
So I should take the one I got from the shelter to die for no reason, and get another who is hopefully the kind that will stay in, kill it if it doesn't, and keep killing until I find the right one? Madness.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 PM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Quote:
I'm going to send my cat over to you and I want to see you on video trying to keep him in. It's not happening.

I agree it's the ideal. After losing one I wanted a kitten I could raise to never know what outside even is. But I didn't get to do that.

A homeless adult came along and said I am hungry, wet, and cold. I want in, human, but do not try to control me, mkay?
I've taken in three cats. All were outdoor strays. All of them became accustomed to staying inside. I don't let my cats roam to get run over, eaten, or get mauled by other cats, or dogs. You feel differently, and that's OK, you did a great thing. My point is that most cats will get used to staying indoors.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I've taken in three cats. All were outdoor strays. All of them became accustomed to staying inside. I don't let my cats roam to get run over, eaten, or get mauled by other cats, or dogs. You feel differently, and that's OK, you did a great thing. My point is that most cats will get used to staying indoors.
I agree with that. I am unlucky with these two in that way. My girl that was a pill about it, at least she stayed right here. When I had her and adopted a kitten and she even walked towards the door I called her back. Oh HELL no, I am not dealing with the anxiety over you too! Nope. She was content. Outside had not been good to her to begin with. I found her out there hungry and tired and scared to death. I guess she thought with safety under her belt, she could explore. No. And once, my grown girl herded her in when I failed to notice she had followed her out! Even she knew the little one needed to stay in. Man, I miss them.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 PM

351 posts, read 281,239 times
I think cats by nature love the outdoors, but as many have mentioned it is a brutal world for them. We built an outdoor enclosure for ours which isn't a perfect solution, but it helps a cat experience the outside world without roaming.Pets are getting diabetes at a alarming rate and no or little exercise and overeating is getting most of the blame. I wish everyone had the room or means to make a safe outdoor area for their pets.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 PM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
I think cats by nature love the outdoors, but as many have mentioned it is a brutal world for them. We built an outdoor enclosure for ours which isn't a perfect solution, but it helps a cat experience the outside world without roaming.Pets are getting diabetes at a alarming rate and no or little exercise and overeating is getting most of the blame. I wish everyone had the room or means to make a safe outdoor area for their pets.
I am fortunate that I have a large outdoor deck that is elevated to the point that the cats are afraid to jump off. It is pretty high up, so the end up out there a lot, chase birds, run around, etc. So they get some fresh air, sunshine, and exercise without the risks associated with being outside. I understand not everyone has this luxury, and yes I agree, cats LIKE to roam outside.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM

514 posts, read 759,998 times
To be fair, cats can wreak havoc on a yard and it is an incredible nuisance to deal with neighborhood cats running all over your property. I don't even know why it is legal to have an "outdoor" cat.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,717,551 times
Quote:
My cats don't kill birds.
Jen, how could know that as fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats