Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

Oh, poor Momo. But a short illness is better than a lot of suffering. I bet it's a shock. Sending you a hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
aww, Poor kitty.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times
Hugs to you on Momo's passing.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 610 times
Hugs...... you had a few days to say how much you loved him before he had to go. That is a blessing.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I noticed toward the end of last week that he wasn't drinking and eating as much as normal (hardly anything, to be honest) and had signs of nausea. But, he was for the most part acting pretty normal. Then it dawned on me that maybe he's having another pancreatitis flare and I got concerned enough to take him to the ER vet. He got some sub-q fluids, a Cervenia shot and instructions to follow-up with our regular vet.

So, we go today, I'm thinking his pancreas was going to be inflamed again or his kidney numbers were gonna come back bad. The vet runs the blood work and everything is just fine, but she said something was throwing off his immunity markers. She takes an x-ray.

She walks in and says they found something. At least four tumors in his lung (we only looked at one side of x-rays, I didn't need to see more).

He's 16 and I won't put him through chemo and surgery is not an option. She gave him an appetite stimulant and a steroid shot.

I will keep him comfortable as long as I can.

I can't remember the last time I cried this hard.

Oh, God, all of us who have been in this position know how you are feeling. I too have cried like a baby when something not good happens to one of mine.

There really are no words we can say that will help, wish we had some magic words to offer. Just know that we share your pain and know that you have always given him all the love and a wonderful home for these past 16 years.

I have tears in my eyes, typing this, because I really do understand. Please stay strong and take comfort in the fact you have always given him so much and have taken such good care of him.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
All I can do is repeat what others have said so beautifully ... OP, we are with you in spirit at this sad, sad, sad time.

If you are up to it, could you maybe post some photos of Momo? When I lost my baby-guy Einstein just over a year ago (also totally unexpectedly), I posted a bunch of pictures of him and people were so incredibly sweet. The loss was devastating, but having so many C-D'ers there to help me cope was really helpful.

Big hugs to you. RIP Momo.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Momo took an unexpected turn for the worse today and is no longer with me. I am heartbroken, in shock and lost right now. I am also thankful that he did not have to suffer for weeks on end until he was no longer my Momo. I will love him forever and since today is my birthday, I will always remember him on this day. Hopefully future birthdays won't be as painful as today.
just saw this so so sorry. I had prayed Momo wouldn't suffer so maybe prayers answered? I know your heart is broken.............. Huge Hugs

Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
I noticed toward the end of last week that he wasn't drinking and eating as much as normal (hardly anything, to be honest) and had signs of nausea. But, he was for the most part acting pretty normal. Then it dawned on me that maybe he's having another pancreatitis flare and I got concerned enough to take him to the ER vet. He got some sub-q fluids, a Cervenia shot and instructions to follow-up with our regular vet.

So, we go today, I'm thinking his pancreas was going to be inflamed again or his kidney numbers were gonna come back bad. The vet runs the blood work and everything is just fine, but she said something was throwing off his immunity markers. She takes an x-ray.

She walks in and says they found something. At least four tumors in his lung (we only looked at one side of x-rays, I didn't need to see more).

He's 16 and I won't put him through chemo and surgery is not an option. She gave him an appetite stimulant and a steroid shot.

I will keep him comfortable as long as I can.

I can't remember the last time I cried this hard.

Oh my dear, I am so very sorry about this sad news. Our fur babies are our families. I know your heart is broken. Hugs to you and Momo.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM

457 posts, read 496,313 times
Thank you all for your kind words. It's wierd how it really does help. Who knew??

Luckily, I have three other cats in the house and while they cannot take the pain away, they can distract me from it.

I went to the vet's office today to retrieve Momo's carrier and give them the three pens of transdermal methimazole that I had. Hopefully they can give those to other patients that can't take the pills. They are just too expensive to throw away.I did not want Momo's ashes but I did have them make a mold of his paw prints - I picked that up as well.

I have made a shadow box of his paw prints and his favorite toy (I have no idea where it came from, but he carried that "Thing" everywhere) to remember him by. Hopefully sometime soon I can look at it and smile instead of tear up.

His real name is Smokey, but we called him Momo.

At Karen_in_nh_2012's request, I've posted some pictures. (I never need an excuse to do that by the way)
Attached Thumbnails
Momo has cancer.........I'm devastated.-img_2015.jpg   Momo has cancer.........I'm devastated.-img_9179.jpg   Momo has cancer.........I'm devastated.-img_1924.jpg   Momo has cancer.........I'm devastated.-img_2683.jpg  

Old 09-22-2017, 12:07 PM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
Awww, I am so sorry,OP. I truly believe that losing one of our beloved critters is one of the hardest things in life. They give us so much yet ask for so little. I am still reeling from the loss of one of my kitties a few week ago, and sometimes I still break down and cry because I miss him so much.

OP, don't let anyone tell you not to grieve because Momo was "just a cat." He was so much more than that. It's okay to cry, okay to grieve, and when the time might be right, to give some of your love to another kitty that deserves the good life you will provide.

I have always thought it unfair that they don't live as long as we do, and how much it hurts to lose them and still have to live on without them. Even knowing this, how can you not let these glorious creatures into your home and your heart? Being loved by a kitty is one of the best things life can give you IMO.

We share your heartache, OP, and know there are folks here to help you through your loss. Please take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats