Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My Electra can tell time.

The morning routine is that Hubby & I read the paper first. When I done with the paper, Electra starts in with "Ma-roo? Ma-roo?" That is when they get their first can (they have dried food all the time). I feed Electra & Elvira in the pantry (which is like a hallway) and I go into the library with Josette so she can eat in peace without the others stealing her food. Whatever she doesn't eat, I bring in the "clean-up crew" to take care of it.

A few months ago, I started feeding Electra a little extra because she had been way underweight. I usually give her a half of can about 2:30-3:00. This time it is Electra in the library so she can have it all to herself. And whatever she doesn't eat (which isn't much), again, I bring in the "clean-up crew" to take care of it. If she takes too long, the "clean-up crew" will reach her paw under the door and start whining. It didn't take Electra long-just a few days, to start asking for it. Sure enough, almost every day about 2:30 or so, "Ma-roo? Ma-roo?"

Cat
I have been asking him what he will do when we turn the clocks back this fall. Will he start grumping around 4:00 (the old 3:00), or will he adjust and grump around the new 3:00? He just blinks at me when I ask him this. "Silly human", he is probably thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Mine know its time when every time I get up for coffee, they head toward the kitchen, and stare at the food. Then the dogs join in and start barking. I feed them in the late afternoon/early evening. If I get food delivered or move a stashed box out of hiding, doesn't matter the time, they are SURE its time. If its close I just feed them early since they don't give up. Under no circumstances should I think I can prepare a meal for the non feline/canine in the house without feeding them first. Picture eating your nutella and peanut butter sandwitch with at least a couple of cats staring at you while drooling and the dogs waiting to distract you so they might grab a hunk or even a drip.

Trying to type this with my little black one, large kitten size though he's five, having climbed inside my jacket and now purring away, bigger brother approaching.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM

28 posts, read 23,849 times
He eats when he wants to. Which means my cat eats 500 calories of a homemade (imitation of optimal as best as i can manage) cat diet. (He's a 5 pound cat.)

Because he eats for two cats his size, he then drinks loads of water and urinates a lot. Then i worry he might be diabetic and rush him to the vet, (he wasn't losing weight but he wasn't gaining significant amounts either) who determines he's a perfectly healthy, non diabetic cat and as long as he isn't gaining excess weight i can keep feeding him as much as he wants.

My boy simply starts mowing and chirping when hungry until fed, other than that he's a well behaved cat. Certainly better behaved than many older "neutered" animals we meet or hear about. (He's both an intact male, yes this makes him "the infamous" tom, and very young. Only ten months of age)

Last edited by Evey_; 10-05-2017 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Realized she has me trained just right to offer her my left over milk in my cereal bowl. As soon as she realizes I'm having a bowl of cereal she comes over and stares, meows and even paws at my leg to remind me to leave enough milk for her. She prefers plain flavors, honey nut cheerios, honey bunches of oats, maybe even raisin bran. No special K with strawberries or captain crunch. I used to finish off any left over milk myself but made the mistake of offering her some leftover from my bowl.

I am now trained to leave just enough milk in my cereal bowl to satisfy her needs.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Years ago we had a Persian who is what they could call "mentally challenged". Her name was Gracie and we had a hard time litter training her so my husband started going into the bathroom and scratching around in the litter with the litter scoop. She would wait patiently, jump in and do her business and Bob would scoop.

It evolved to the point she would go to the bathroom, cry extremely loudly for Bob to come scratch in the litter for her. She never once dug her own potty spot. Bob is such an easy man to train!

One night we had guests and Gracie started hollering: "I gotta go pee NOW". Bob got up to excuse himself and politely said: "The cat needs me". I whispered to our guests what was happening and they peeked around the corner to watch this strange ritual. They could not believe it!

Maybe Gracie wasn't so "mentally challenged after all!

Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
No kudzo
Sounds like she wasn't so mentally challenged just had a good training technique for her human who was so easily manipulated. Your guests must have had a good laugh about that situation.

I had a cat who hated the cat box. She used it without fail but she couldn't get into and out of fast enough. Never dug or buried anything. She would get out and shake her paws like yuk, gross, I hate that stuff. I probably tried a dozen different kinds of litter, two to three boxes at the same time, didn't matter.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Realized she has me trained just right to offer her my left over milk in my cereal bowl. As soon as she realizes I'm having a bowl of cereal she comes over and stares, meows and even paws at my leg to remind me to leave enough milk for her. She prefers plain flavors, honey nut cheerios, honey bunches of oats, maybe even raisin bran. No special K with strawberries or captain crunch. I used to finish off any left over milk myself but made the mistake of offering her some leftover from my bowl.

I am now trained to leave just enough milk in my cereal bowl to satisfy her needs.
The H does this too. She just sits on the table and stares so he can't forget. She likes to lick my yogurt container, too. I found both of these things odd since I know cats are lactose intolerant, but she seems not to have a problem. Once I was having some ice cream and she got up and came over and stuck her face into mine and I "guessed" that she wanted me to save her the bowl to lick. Never before, never since, but that day she wanted ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats