Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 AM

28 posts, read 23,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Okay, fine. Castrated, and the females get a hysterectomy.

If you want to argue about this, let's take it to another thread.

I asked because I was asking about all of the cat's medical history.
I don't want to argue at all. I just wish people wouldn't assume overly aggressive behavior and being intact is correlated. All my animals (four) have been intact none were aggressive or attacked anyone ever. Two were toms. All had a less than ideal start in life too, so there were some behavioural issues they grew out of with love and tenderness. My Zhuta sometimes sleeps on my neck. He puts his head on my neck and we nap that way. He's the most gentle creature ever. He's a tom with all his claws, i wouldn't dream of cutting them. I'm not here to argue or attack anyone, I simply am standing up for intact animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 07:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There are some cats who simply get over-stimulated by lots of petting. You can show such a cat affection, but it needs to be in smaller doses, and you must watch the cat's body language. Did your cat seem agitated in any way before this happened? If he did not, and has never done anything like this before, I agree, you should have a vet look at him, even if his last checkup was good.

Last of all, and I apologize for even asking...is your cat neutered?

Here is some more information.

Petting-related Aggression in Cats

Petting aggression in cats: biting the hand they love

For more, Google "petting aggression cats."
Thanks for these; I'm reading these and others.

I'm elderly and had cats my whole life, and never experienced this before. I'm just glad I had my glasses on. It could have been much, much worse.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_ View Post
I don't want to argue at all. I just wish people wouldn't assume overly aggressive behavior and being intact is correlated. All my animals (four) have been intact none were aggressive or attacked anyone ever. Two were toms. All had a less than ideal start in life too, so there were some behavioural issues they grew out of with love and tenderness. My Zhuta sometimes sleeps on my neck. He puts his head on my neck and we nap that way. He's the most gentle creature ever. He's a tom with all his claws, i wouldn't dream of cutting them. I'm not here to argue or attack anyone, I simply am standing up for intact animals.
Start. Another. Thread.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I can imagine how upsetting this was for you! I have had many cats in my life and if a previously healthy, affectionate cat suddenly attacked me (and it sounds like he slashed you in multiple places, so it wasn't just a single swat that said, "Stop that"), I would definitely take him to the vet. Yes, it is possible he was simply overstimulated, but something is not right. I hope the vet won't blow it off, but if s/he does, find another vet. The kitty needs a thorough exam. Others have pointed out some of the things it could be; I was thinking it might also be hyperthyroidism (which makes them anxious and hyper). Good luck to you and your boy.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Start. Another. Thread.
Please don't tell me what to do. I find that quite passive aggressive and I don't appreciate it. I did not go off-topic, but merely responded to what another contributor said.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Please don't tell me what to do. I find that quite passive aggressive and I don't appreciate it. I did not go off-topic, but merely responded to what another contributor said.
I wish you two would stop (hijacking my thread)? I have found after decades of interactions online, and learned the hard way, that when someone posts something confrontational, the best thing you can do is ignore it. Comment, if you must, but don't engage in a long exchange of oppositional posts. It's a waste of time and bandwidth and only serves to embed the persons in their various positions.

CD is very well moderated, so I try to let the mods do their job and don't engage. It's easier on everyone. And when you ignore it, you may soon feel the confrontation was not important.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wish you two would stop (hijacking my thread)? I have found after decades of interactions online, and learned the hard way, that when someone posts something confrontational, the best thing you can do is ignore it. Comment, if you must, but don't engage in a long exchange of oppositional posts. It's a waste of time and bandwidth and only serves to embed the persons in their various positions.

CD is very well moderated, so I try to let the mods do their job and don't engage. It's easier on everyone. And when you ignore it, you may soon feel the confrontation was not important.
I do not accept I hijacked your thread in any way. I was contributing to your thread to the best of my knowledge, something I now regret. I will not make that mistake again.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I do not accept I hijacked your thread at all. I was contributing to your thread to the best of my knowledge, something I now regret. I will not make that mistake again.
Do you think that sounds a little childish? Taking myself too seriously is one of my failings.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
OP, a vsit to the Vet may be a good place to start so any underlying medical issues can be taken off the table.
Otherwise kitty may have been startled by something you did not/could not see.
I hope you both feel better soon.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Our girls weigh in around 17 pounds. ShadowCat has all her claws and knows how to use them. She does get overstimulated when we brush too long and will lash out. Actually she is an ornery biddy with a temper. Over time we learned to read the signs and stop before she crosses the line between feeling great and loved and throwing a fit.

Has anything been different? Brush, perfume/lotion, matted hair, noise TV/outside, simply a bad day, changes in eating/drinking/litter box, ...?

I am very glad that you had glasses on and did not punish him. When was his last vet visit? Can you make an appointment to make sure there are no medical issues? Have you had medical attention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats