Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,260,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I remember one time I was sitting at the kitchen table eating lunch, and Shelly was lying on the table. I wasn't touching her, or even speaking to or looking at her. All of a sudden, she grabbed my left arm around the wrist with both front paws and started bunny-kicking me, leaving several scratches down my forearm.

Never could figure out what set that off, and she never has done it again.
Well, to her it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Seriously though, I've had similar things happen with my cats over the years. I just figured that I unknowingly violated some feline etiquette/boundary rule at the wrong time. I suppose we could commission a scientific study on the issue, but it probably wouldn't do much good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM

6,037 posts, read 4,400,108 times
I was once on the phone and idly playing with my cat when I first had her. There was a paper on the table and I put my hand underneath and poked fingers up for her to jump at and like I say, I was paying not much attention, gabbing away and just playing a game. When I forgot completely and moved my hand, she was one it like a flash, all four feet worth of claws and teeth - she grabbed, sunk in, then ran off. Something in that game bothered her, or she had to win it, or something I can't even guess at, and that was the last time she ever bit (she broke no skin with either claws or teeth, but I felt it nonetheless (ouch!)).

She has clawed me badly in passing if I pick her up (knowing she dislikes it); she just uses me for a launching pad to jump away and if I haven't done her back claws in a bit, I get scratches, sometimes quite dramatic ones. The mistake is holding her for the one second too long.

Understanding that there's no malice behind it and she's not a vicious cat gone rabid or anything helps. I just think I was dumb and let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats