Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,122 times

Advertisements

George is about 4.5 months old. He REALLY likes any t-shirt that I may leave on the floor. The other night I hear him purring at the base of my dresser. I sit up and see him basically humping the shirt. It cracked me up.

He stops, and just stares at me. Like, "uh-oh", I just got caught.

Is this common???

Does this mean it's getting time to neuter him? He was at the vet 1 month ago, and she mentioned neutering around 8 months. I'd rather not wait that long, as I want to avoid any spraying in the house.

When's the best time to neuter? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:21 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
You're gonna have to get used to cats doing weird things. For example, my cat LOVES the smell of my sandals when they're all stinky. She lies over them, inhaling the fumes.

Beware of bleach and detergent smells, too.

Don't know about neutering but my cat was I think 7 months or so when she got spayed.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 10-10-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I know they can do it earlier than 8 months and 4-6 is pretty common. Supposedly they keep more of their kittenish qualities and you mentioned how aggressive George can be, so you might want to bring it up again and see if you can schedule it sooner.

It won't stop weird cat stuff, but it can head off other problems.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Omg..... James Bond

My cat had a totally crazy catnip like reaction to bleach. I occasionally use very very diluted bleach, like a cap full in a spray bottle filled with water. She walked in the bathroom right after I finished cleaning and a few moments later she was acting crazy rolling around on bathroom floor acting high as a kite. I didn't dawn on me til and hour or so later it might have been the bleach.

dfour
, I am pretty sure four months would be fine. I think vets like to have their body mass be at maximum so anesthesia is easy to control on "larger" but if he is showing signs of maturity you may want to talk to vet. I had to wait until a male was around 2 years, for medical reasons, and he ended up with a bad case of stag tail (google if you want to) that never went away after being fixed. Sooner the better on male cats.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I think the requirement is body weight, not age. They won't do cats under 2 pounds, is that it? They used to have trouble with anesthesia on younger animals, but have come a long way with that. I knew someone who went to Cornell and used to talk to the veterinary students, so I know for sure they do it much younger than they used to.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times
3lbs at my vet.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Omg..... James Bond

My cat had a totally crazy catnip like reaction to bleach. I occasionally use very very diluted bleach, like a cap full in a spray bottle filled with water. She walked in the bathroom right after I finished cleaning and a few moments later she was acting crazy rolling around on bathroom floor acting high as a kite. I didn't dawn on me til and hour or so later it might have been the bleach.

dfour
, I am pretty sure four months would be fine. I think vets like to have their body mass be at maximum so anesthesia is easy to control on "larger" but if he is showing signs of maturity you may want to talk to vet. I had to wait until a male was around 2 years, for medical reasons, and he ended up with a bad case of stag tail (google if you want to) that never went away after being fixed. Sooner the better on male cats.
We always had it done between 5 and 6 months of age, but four months is fine also. Most vets will do it as long as they're over 2 lbs, but prefer them a little older if possible. just makes the surgery easier.

And I also have a Clorox-scent junkie, and that's why I don't ever use full strength bleach anywhere in the house. I know bleach fumes are very bad for us, so I can imagine they're even worse for a cat.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
My vet says to bring them in for neuter when the adult main canine teeth come in. I had cats as a kid and watched many kittens grow up, but did not pay attention to this, anyway cats have "milk" teeth that fall out and are replaced by "adult" teeth just like people.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You're gonna have to get used to cats doing weird things. For example, my cat LOVES the smell of my sandals when they're all stinky. She lies over them, inhaling the fumes.

Beware of bleach and detergent smells, too.

Don't know about neutering but my cat was I think 7 months or so when she got spayed.
I tell my cat she is carrying her love for me a bit too far when she does that. She even plopped herself down on a brand new pair of shoes I hadn't even worn yet! I told her to at least wait until they smelled like me.

My cat was 3 months old when she was spayed. When I adopted her the shelter was able to provide both her birth date (6/3/2010) and her spay date, which was on her 3-month birthday. If she hadn't been spayed already, they would have done it before adopting her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats