Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times

Advertisements

I think my baby has pica. He wants to eat tape, all kinds of tape:scotch tape, duct tape, electrical tape, it doesn't matter. He also tries to eat string and yarn and paper.
He was not fed properly by his former humans. I have taken sterling care of him for two and a half years, and he does not want for anything. However, he has not overcome this weird yearning for weird stuff. Can animals have pica also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:47 AM

681 posts, read 2,359,516 times
I think it's more that he enjoys the chewing and texture of plastics and tape. Most of my cats are entertained (to a degree) by chewing. Current kitty, JinxyBean, loves to chew on plastic shopping bags because she loves the sound it makes.

Have you given him any small cat toys for chewing? He might like crinkle balls, those metallic little pom poms. Also any small plush toy that gives a crinkle sound.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
He got a tapeworm ?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
I had a cat that was gaga over tape. I found this out when using double stick tape on furniture to keep her from scratching on it. She was two years old or so when I got her and not trained to use scratching post. Most cats hate any kind of tape in any form. She would pull the tape off furniture and chew on it. Also went after packages that had shipping tape, wide cellophane tape.it was the only really strange thing she was attracted to. Plus, she was just weird.

She did like to play with yarn and string too, like most cats. But I found out that skinny string is very dangerous for cats. One day she got a hold of a piece of yarn about one yard long. I heard her gagging and had about a foot of yarn hanging out of her mouth. She was probably chewing and playing with it, it got stuck on her rough tongue and swallowed and kept swallowing. I gently pulled it out, about one foot or more had been swallowed. She might have ended up at vets with a serious problem if she had swallowed it all. The only string I would allow for play was the heavy duty work boot shoe string. Never had a problem with that stuff getting stuck on tongue.

Cats are attracted to strange and sometimes dangerous things. It's up to us to keep certain things away from them.

If it's just tape your cat is attracted to I don't see it as a serious issue. Just keep it away. I would imagine the adhesive is not good for them.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times
Max is at it again tonight. He was playing with a drawstring, the kind you close your sweatpants up with. He walked it in his mouth across the living room, and plunked it down in his food dish, right across his Chicken Hearts Fancy Feast. Like what does he think it is String Sauce? Does he want me to puree it in the blender, maybe dice it up and mix it with his Grilled Chicken Feast?
He's so crazy, I love him so much, he's my little weirdo.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
I think it's more that he enjoys the chewing and texture of plastics and tape. Most of my cats are entertained (to a degree) by chewing. Current kitty, JinxyBean, loves to chew on plastic shopping bags because she loves the sound it makes.

Have you given him any small cat toys for chewing? He might like crinkle balls, those metallic little pom poms. Also any small plush toy that gives a crinkle sound.
I agree with this. I used to have a cat (Tasha) who absolutely loved chewing on plastic grocery bags after I'd come back from getting food. It got to the point where I had to make sure there was never a grocery bag left out, otherwise she'd chew and ingest hunks of plastic. I suspect it was simply the texture that appealed to her.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Our one cat, Chewy, LOVES to chew on plastic of any kind. Bags, tape, etc. We have to keep all of it away from him, and if we cut off a piece of plastic, he finds it and we will find him there chewing away. Not sure what his fascination is with it, but he has always been this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats