Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a cat have a fear of thunderstorms? Our indoor 7 y/o cats started this about 3 years ago. We've had him since he was 2 months old. He was a stray kitten. He'll make a desperate attempt to get into our bedroom to hide under the bed when we're having a thunderstorm. Most recently he has even tried to crunch down and lay tightly next to us or even next to our dog in an attempt to hide from the storm. I've heard of this with dogs, but never a cat. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM

41 posts, read 159,188 times
yea i have had 3 of my cats do it too.. the funnest part about it.. is that they were all "big strong" males.. you know not scared of anything... but as soon as the first crash of thunder was heard they went running for the bed..

Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
GirlKitty doesn't like thunderstorms, either. She runs into the basement and hides in the closet or under the shelves. Occasionally she'll hop into my lap and tuck her head under my arm when she hears a loud noise, but if it's persistent like during a big thunderstorm, she hides.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! That was so funny reading both of your posts. I can relate to both. Renzi (our 7 y/o old cat) is the biggest bad butt in the house even to our dogs but yet the thunderstorms scare him to death. Lucky for all these babies...they have parents like us who love them dearly.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
When the 3 cats and I rode out hurricane Rita in a travel trailer, (don't try this at home), you couldn't have slipped a piece of paper between the four of us.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Why did a vivid imagine appear after I read the last post (lol)?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
My current one (I'm 58) is afraid of the loud banging and roaring trash truck outside. He takes off to wherever he goes. And actually _all_ the cats I have had since I was 4 yo have done the same thing.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
When the 3 cats and I rode out hurricane Rita in a travel trailer, (don't try this at home), you couldn't have slipped a piece of paper between the four of us.
Oh, dear! Were you slashed to ribbons?!?! Poor kitties! Poor Drouzin!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default thunderstorms

my two were never concerned during thunderstorms, the vacuum cleaner makes them run and hide. That was until 2-1/2 years ago, when a tree in the wooded area in front of my apartment was struck by lightning. The tree fell crossways in front of my building but scared the pee out of Bubba....literally. he tinkled on the floor, poor guy. don't know if it was the strike, crack of wood or crash of the tree. I jumped as high as they did, felt the static tingle the hairs on my arms and boom down came the tree. Now if the wind picks up, they are under the bed and no amount of treats will get them out. We've had a couple of bad storms in the last few days and when the wind starts, get out of the path to the bedroom.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
All of my four cats look up, wake up, come to semi-attention at the sound of thunder. But one of them, the little girl, runs under the king-size bed, waaaay back under the head against the wall. She doesn't shake or crouch; she just plays it safe and counts herself the smartest cat in the house.

But give that girl a vacuum cleaner? Years ago, she ran from it. Then she spent time perched high up, watching its behavior. Then she tried running past it, about two feet away. Now Miss Magic Courage will walk into the room in which it's making all its nasty noise, and -L E A P- flying high over the beast out the door! Then she'll turn and look at me, for my acknowledgement of her magnificence. :-) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats