Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times

Advertisements

My new kitty Luna cracks me up-- among other things one thing she loves to do is what I call "getting her zen on"--- at certain times such as after eating, or after rubbing up on me with her head and marking me she will start this very deep purring, then comes the kneading where she likes to stand on top of a pillow while she closes her eyes, purring and kneading... she's in her own zen world and will do this for a while, just purring and marching , aka kneading the pillow. Sometimes she will look at me with her eyes half open like some wise yogi master or to be blunt she looks like she smoked some good sativa!

Funny how dogs don't seem to have this need or behavior or getting all zen like that lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Our Benny will start kneading and he'll go into that same zen mode. He becomes "distant" yet relaxed. We humans could learn a lot from cats. :-)

Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 AM

I had a couple other cats in the past- the first one was a feral kitten I raised from about 8 weeks and she was never zen- she was from the start a stress case actually. I kept her because I felt bad for her and had bottle fed her from apr age 8 weeks when a coworker found her out in the grass by the parking lot and no one else wanted her. She never liked to cuddle or really be even petted much- honestly she wasn't a very nice cat but she may have been like hat can she was according to the vet a feral cat. My second cat was a calico very sweet and also could zen out- but Luna is by far he most zen cat I ever had... she cracks me up when she goes into that mode- starts with deep purring and then she gets this look on her face and hat means she's going into a meditative trance haha

Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I wonder if it's about digestion, since after being fed, or even getting a treat, Gypsy will pick a person and knead them and purr and then settle in for a nap in a warm place.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Or they could be communicating with their Mother Ship on the other side of the Moon.

But seriously, most cats that are comfortable and secure in their environment will do it. They are experts at relaxation for sure. Sometimes just watching them makes me want to take a nap.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
There's a particular way they lounge that looks like they melted into it. I'm so envious of the way that looks. Zen, liquid, cat - no matter the word, I wish I could feel the way it looks.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
They unfortunately have no respect for Zen "Meditation Gardens" and will likely use the raked sand area as a litter box and sharpen their claws on the bark of the Bonsai tree...

I often wonder what one would name an extremely "Zen" like cat...

"China Cat Sunflower" for any Grateful Dead fans...

"Marilyn Whirlwind" for a female cat owned by a "Northern Exposure" fan...

Or a "Native American" name usually assigned by the chief of the tribe that can reflect behavior patterns observed by said chief...

"One Who Sleeps"
"Thief Of Fish"
"Digs In Garden"

Cats also provide (many times unsolicited) massage and acupuncture services...

Old 11-03-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
They unfortunately have no respect for Zen "Meditation Gardens" and will likely use the raked sand area as a litter box and sharpen their claws on the bark of the Bonsai tree...

I often wonder what one would name an extremely "Zen" like cat...

"China Cat Sunflower" for any Grateful Dead fans...

"Marilyn Whirlwind" for a female cat owned by a "Northern Exposure" fan...

Or a "Native American" name usually assigned by the chief of the tribe that can reflect behavior patterns observed by said chief...

"One Who Sleeps"
"Thief Of Fish"
"Digs In Garden"

Cats also provide (many times unsolicited) massage and acupuncture services...
Yep- I sometimes am apparently viewed as a cat tree and from behind she will help herself and climb on my back onto my shoulder and if she's in the mood knead a bit. I have also at times awakened to find her perched like a hen comfortably as if my chest was her personal arm chair, perched on my chest purring and staring at me.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:11 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
One of mine likes to knead my butt. This is not zen for ME; the two I have now are crazy.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 AM

165 posts, read 122,394 times
My cat is not much of a zen cat like is described here. Zen to her is hiding and jumping out at me, booping my leg and running off to do it again. She's super playful. Heck, even at the shelter, they put me in a room to be with her. They brought her in and I wiggled a cat dancer toy and she went to town. That is her zen, playing and exploring. Her downtime is spent following me and watching me and knocking my dental floss in the sink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats