Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 01:57 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

The screeching hordes of self proclaimed experts have arrived so I’ll move on. It’s still my opinion that a cat is better off staying in a home than to be abandoned at a shelter. Many vets agree with me. Again, my cats are not and will never be declawed but I can see where it might be better for the cats regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 01:58 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I am curious why Bissell thinks they have the right to determine what a business that is not their own can or cannot do.
Personally we will not be supporting Bissell.
In our home we are the only one's who have the right to determine what happens in our home and we don't have to ask permission from anyone else...

Old 12-02-2017, 02:14 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am curious why Bissell thinks they have the right to determine what a business that is not their own can or cannot do.
Personally we will not be supporting Bissell.
In our home we are the only one's who have the right to determine what happens in our home and we don't have to ask permission from anyone else...
The Bissell Foundation has a right to determine where it puts its animal welfare funds. It's Bissell's money to support any rescue or shelter they choose.

Since their Pet Foundation is anti-declaw, they have a right to refuse to donate funds to a so called "rescue" who appears more eager to declaw cats than anything else.

In addition they have decided to add a clause in their application procedure about it, so going forward, any rescue or shelter who supports declawing, will no longer benefit from these funds.

PS Lake Haven not a "business". It is a not for profit 510(c)3 rescue.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
The screeching hordes of self proclaimed experts have arrived so I’ll move on. It’s still my opinion that a cat is better off staying in a home than to be abandoned at a shelter. Many vets agree with me. Again, my cats are not and will never be declawed but I can see where it might be better for the cats regardless.
It has already be proven that declawing does not keep cats in homes. The vets who "agree with you" make huge profits from amputating cat toes. Of course they agree with you. They don't care that the cat will likely be dumped in a year or two. They just like the money.

How you can equate life long pain with "better for the cat" is beyond me.

As for your cute little comment about self proclaimed experts, you might want to know that I have been working actively on educating against declawing for many years. I do know what I am talking about.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Good for Bissell. It will hopefully help get the word out on declawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That's ridiculous. There are laws about all sorts of things that you can and cannot do in your home. And lots of companies support various social issues - people can agree or disagree, support them or not. They aren't giving/refusing permission by supporting a cause.

Quote:
The screeching hordes
You keep saying this. All I've read is rational discussion. Just not saying what you want them to say.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Many people aren't aware that a whole new veterinary specialty has had to be invented to repair declawed cats' paws. Paw Repair Surgery is highly specialized. Vets who join The Paw Project are trained how.

If you have the stomach for it, you can learn about these cats here:

https://www.facebook.com/NewLeaseVets/

Old 12-02-2017, 05:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Even if the cat will likely be euthanized if it’s given up?
Cats have claws. If you cannot deal with this, don't get a cat in the first place.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Even if the cat will likely be euthanized if it’s given up?
I missed that before. The cat is far more likely to be "euthanized" AFTER being declawed, because, even though the shelters, generally speaking, have quite a few "declawed" (ie amputee) cats, the majority of declawed cats never get a second chance. Either they die out in the woods (or trash cans, etc) where they were abandoned, or they are "euthanized" as not adoptable, because of their behavior problems, that were caused by chronic pain.

Anyone who would ask that a cat be killed if they couldn't have the cat's toes cut off should not have the cat, it's that simple.

"Scratching behavior" is not even on the top ten list of "reasons why people dump cats at shelters".

Aside from a medical reason (the CAT'S medical/health I am referring to) there is, not ever, any reason to amputate the toe ends of a cat. No reason.

A lifetime of pain and disability is not a 'small price to pay' (Cheryl McCloud of Lake Haven's words) for a "good home". A home that would cripple a cat for human convenience is not a good home.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-02-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 06:23 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Save your breath Catsmom. Some people don't want to be educated. Declawing is the eazy/lazy way out, and a big money maker for vets.

Also, some argue just for the sake of arguing...to get a thread locked.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats