Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

Awesome! I think lots of folks can benefit by this experience re shipping, safely, a cat across US.

PS - Just saw it was my 3000th post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Awesome! I think lots of folks can benefit by this experience re shipping, safely, a cat across US.

PS - Just saw it was my 3000th post!

I agree, it is a good option, that I had never heard of before, & Congrats on your post count.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
So sorry about your sister.

In the future, I would look at doing United Petsafe if you can.

They load the kennels in Air conditioned vans, and they sit in the running van and are the last thing loaded. Not cheap, but I looked very closely at it and they really seem to know what they're doing.

For dogs, if you look in hunting and field trialing circles, lots of folks carting dogs all over the country.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:20 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I had to search this breed, as I'm not familiar with it. Wow, they are gorgeous! Can't wait to see pics when she arrives.

What's her name?
Kassumi. She'll be my second Tonk. Funny enough, I had my first Tonk as a companion to my first Russian Blue. Now I also have my second Russian Blue, but this one is a female too, so she will not be as fond of the new arrival as the first one was.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 PM

I thought I'd update on getting my sister's cat, Kassumi, long-distance from Idaho. The ground transportation people were amazing! They texted pics of the cat sleeping on them (alternately, as the other person drove), playing with her toys, and sitting on the front armrest. It took them a little over two and a half days to get from Idaho to Virginia, but Kassumi was seemingly pretty relaxed when she arrived. She spent the first couple of days behind the settee in "her" room (the spare, or only other bedroom), but within 3 days she was coming out and getting on my lap and giving face rubs.

Kassumi still spends a fair amount of time in her room, but it's mostly because of my Russian Blue cat, Sweet Pea. My old cat Muffin will touch noses with Kassumi (which shocked me, as Muffin is a grump). Princess the Heifer will hiss at her, but otherwise ignore her. Scooter the boy likes to go into Kassumi's room and admire her, but he doesn't go after her. However, Sweet Pea hates Kassumi. Flat out. She'll ambush her in her litter box when she gets the chance, which scares the heck out of Kassumi, so I still close her bedroom door at night and feed her in that room in the morning, apart from the others. If Kassumi ventures out of the room and Sweet Pea sees her, she'll chase her around the house and back into her room. Sweet Pea HAS to be the dominant cat - she also chases Scooter at times as well.

Otherwise, Kassumi is beautiful, playful, affectionate, and SO soft! She likes to crawl across my chest and hang out on my shoulder when I'm on my laptop or reading, which she did with my sister as well. She plays by herself and has a whole bunch of toys in her room as well as her own cat tree to watch outdoors.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:16 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
The other day, I was thinking of you and wondered how how things were going. I'm glad she is adjusting pretty well. There's something about certain female cats--our Sadie (calico) hates Lucy and it's been about 14 months now. Lucy has gotten bolder and will go up to Sadie now and bat at her, because Lucy knows it gets Sadie's goat. Sigh.

Kassumi sounds like a real chill girl, despite what she's been through.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 AM

436 posts, read 579,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I thought I'd update on getting my sister's cat, Kassumi, long-distance from Idaho. The ground transportation people were amazing! They texted pics of the cat sleeping on them (alternately, as the other person drove), playing with her toys, and sitting on the front armrest. It took them a little over two and a half days to get from Idaho to Virginia, but Kassumi was seemingly pretty relaxed when she arrived. She spent the first couple of days behind the settee in "her" room (the spare, or only other bedroom), but within 3 days she was coming out and getting on my lap and giving face rubs.

Kassumi still spends a fair amount of time in her room, but it's mostly because of my Russian Blue cat, Sweet Pea. My old cat Muffin will touch noses with Kassumi (which shocked me, as Muffin is a grump). Princess the Heifer will hiss at her, but otherwise ignore her. Scooter the boy likes to go into Kassumi's room and admire her, but he doesn't go after her. However, Sweet Pea hates Kassumi. Flat out. She'll ambush her in her litter box when she gets the chance, which scares the heck out of Kassumi, so I still close her bedroom door at night and feed her in that room in the morning, apart from the others. If Kassumi ventures out of the room and Sweet Pea sees her, she'll chase her around the house and back into her room. Sweet Pea HAS to be the dominant cat - she also chases Scooter at times as well.

Otherwise, Kassumi is beautiful, playful, affectionate, and SO soft! She likes to crawl across my chest and hang out on my shoulder when I'm on my laptop or reading, which she did with my sister as well. She plays by herself and has a whole bunch of toys in her room as well as her own cat tree to watch outdoors.
Good news, that the transport went well. It sounds like the introductions are going as well as possible. I look forward to future updates!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,734 times
Yes - a friend of mine vetted a dozen transporters and choose the best one but the dog died in route. I'd never, ever do it.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
OP, have you contacted any rescue groups in her area? Many of them have transports of pets from high kill shelters to other states. Maybe you can find one who might be willing to take the cat on their next convoy? Its usually multiple drivers who are experienced with transporting animals. You could offer a donation for their help. Its worth looking into.

Oh, saw your update. Good news!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
OP, have you contacted any rescue groups in her area? Many of them have transports of pets from high kill shelters to other states. Maybe you can find one who might be willing to take the cat on their next convoy? Its usually multiple drivers who are experienced with transporting animals. You could offer a donation for their help. Its worth looking into.

Oh, saw your update. Good news!
I tell you what, with the sad tale of the dog that died on the United Airlines flight this week and then United's subsequent mixup that sent a dog to Japan instead of Kansas, I'm so glad I picked the company I did to transport Kassumi. They're not cheap but they are top of the line in care and professionalism! I would do so again in a heartbeat although I hope I never have to. They only transport one pet at a time and don't do any overnight stops at all; they drive straight through from home to home. From the pictures they they texted during the trip, Kassumi actually enjoyed it, unlike an airplane flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats