Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Something I'm trying today is mixing some of the "old" can with some dried food. That seems to be forcing him to get at least some of the older canned food in his mouth while he's trying to eat the new/fresh dried food I mixed in with it.

Just a tip that might help a little...?
Have you tried just adding water to the bowl of canned that was left uneaten? I haven't wasted a single bit since starting that.

Some will like extra water to drink (yummy flavored water), others will want only enough to keep the food part nice and fresh and moist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 17,941 times
he eats much more now that I put his food on a plate.
Doesn't want to eat from his bowl--don't know why!

Old 03-03-2018, 10:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM View Post
he eats much more now that I put his food on a plate.
Doesn't want to eat from his bowl--don't know why!
Some cats do not like bowls. It may bother them if their whiskers brush against the inside of the bowl, or maybe they just like a clear view of the room as they eat. Either way, I'm glad the plate is working.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:41 AM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times
I find that shallow bowls are OK (in fact, ideal) for my cat. She definitely doesn't like the deeper bowls, and when I put them on a plate (or plate-type thing) she usually manages to spill stuff over the edge.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:48 PM

298 posts, read 303,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I find that shallow bowls are OK (in fact, ideal) for my cat. She definitely doesn't like the deeper bowls, and when I put them on a plate (or plate-type thing) she usually manages to spill stuff over the edge.
My cat usually just drinks the broth and leaves most of the meat. I started purchasing the fancy feast broth pouches. She really likes those. I wish they made just cat gravy for the cats that just like the gravy/juice and not the meat or just a tiny bit of meat. I agree cats can be so very picky. Mine is on a Fancy Feast roll right now. Before it was Friskies but then she just stopped eating it.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
My cat usually just drinks the broth and leaves most of the meat. I started purchasing the fancy feast broth pouches. She really likes those. I wish they made just cat gravy for the cats that just like the gravy/juice and not the meat or just a tiny bit of meat. I agree cats can be so very picky. Mine is on a Fancy Feast roll right now. Before it was Friskies but then she just stopped eating it.
All my cats did the same thing several years ago, and still wont eat it. They did something to the Friskies for sure. Hope it doesn't happen with Fancy Feast.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Give the cat half and feed the rest later. It will keep if you put it in a sealed sandwich baggie and put in fridge. I have two cats. One will not touch canned food at all!. The other will eat a half of can as well and I just give her the rest at another time. It will keep for a few days while opened if put in a sealed bag in the fridge. Don't worry, if you seal the bag your fridge will NOT smell like cat food!

Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
I live with my elderly father - he is on one floor with his 20 year old cat, and I have my own floor with my stray (I think he's around 8 yo??).

Now after he feeds his senior, I will take whatever is left over out of that can and give it to my guy, and I will not give him any dry food at all until he man's up and finishes the wet stuff.

The problem (waste) has been much improved.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
All my cats did the same thing several years ago, and still wont eat it. They did something to the Friskies for sure. Hope it doesn't happen with Fancy Feast.
A long time ago my vet suggested some salt-free chicken broth and mix a small amount in with the kitty food. It worked for my previous kitty, she would actually sit at the dish while I/slave was 'preparing her meal'.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
My cats all like plates. They don't like the paper plates, even better thicker ones, that have a dark design around the edge and part of the plate. I smelled it up close and peeww. Ink or whatever in the design smelled. So the end result is lots of small china type white plates from Goodwill, easy to use, easy to wash. The cats love when the white circles come out.

I have read that in the wild the big cats ate and then left some for later. Mine appeared to do that. So I save the leftover along with the rest of the small can food and use a lid so it stays fresh.

I feed my cats often throughout the day which adds up to the appropriate amount by the last feeding.

If there is some left that is not enough for a meal, it is still interesting to them if I put just a little of another can in with it.

About the bowls. My cats won't really eat from bowls...who knows what predator could attack over the rim. (They don't really have predators at home and all do eat indoors now...some used to eat on the screened porch and the alpha outdoors at times but he is waiting at Rainbow Bridge now) But it guess it can be a protective instinct to have a good view of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats