Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times

Advertisements

Well you may all remember I was trying to teach my older cat to walk on a harness. I purchased a velcro harness. I thought I was safety proof.

However, today, going down the stairs my cat slipped and somehow the harness came up and was strangling my cat in the mouth, my cat was screaming and literally jumping, making it all the worse. I had to get in there and pull the velcro but in doing so my cat bit me HARD on both hands. I got it off and my cat went running. He appears ok.

I am not so much. I had to go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Now my hands have swollen and are hard to move.

I am FURIOUS with the harness. It was sold to me as the safest but the way my cat slipped sent the whole thing tightly forward on her mouth -- I swear the only way possible to do this. I am grateful that it was easy to get off but bitter as I think the velcro made it easier to slide up than a traditional one.

Forget that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Cat + harness or leash = disaster.

That said, somebody else brought this topic up not long ago and somehow they managed to get the cat to be OK with it. How they did that, I will never know.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
I really believe that a cat needs to be introduced to a leash or a harness at a young age, like, very young. I used to date a guy who had a huge orange cat that he walked on a 30 ft. leash. Sometimes, if they were coming around the corner of a building, you would see the cat well before you would see the man - it was very comical. The cat was calm and seemed to enjoy his outdoor strolls quite a lot.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
I'm sorry this happened.

Please keep an eye on those bites and make sure they don't get infected! Cat bites can be very dangerous.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM

779 posts, read 471,384 times
My cat was introduced at 6 months. She knows when I get it out, it means outside time!

The way I was able to introduce it to her was first we put a normal collar on her with ID info. Then, she was used to that, we put just the harness on without the leash on. We let her wear that during the day when we were home for hours at a time. No big deal. Next, we introduced the leash. Easy (relatively). While she isn't a show dog walking around, she does not mind the leash one bit.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks all. On another board someone mentioned that some cats just don't like new things and freak out badly over it. He was very nervous with the harness on period but I was trying to help him learn to love it by getting him to associate getting to visit the basement when it was on. Weirdly even after what happened yesterday he wants to head down there but I will never allow it again unless I get some rug for the stairs.

I had taught him to tolerate an asthma inhaler at an older age. So I figured it could be the same thing. But I don't know now if I should even bother. If we had a freak out like that outside... he would be dead. He is just a freak out first ask questions later type of cat.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:03 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I hope the bites have healed, & honestly, with an older cat I wouldn't bother with trying to leash train them, I sometimes think, it is our desire, for the cat be to outside, not the cats. Has your cat being attempting to get out of the house?

Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I hope the bites have healed, & honestly, with an older cat I wouldn't bother with trying to leash train them, I sometimes think, it is our desire, for the cat be to outside, not the cats. Has your cat being attempting to get out of the house?
My cat is a terror at the vet and seems terrified of leaving the house at all. So I hoped by letting him explore on his own terms he might lighten up about going to the vet. He would discover that going places outside the house would not cause him to explode.

The plan was
- let him explore the basement -- which he did pretty well with.
- let him explore the back yard.
- let him explore the front stoop
- let him explore the front yard
- let him explore going for a ride in the car in the harness
- let him explore the vet's office when he wasn't having a visit.

But that I think isn't going to happen.

I think I am going to explore an at home vet though I have had that before and it didn't go well.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I hope you can find a nice at home vet.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
I actually jokingly asked my vet on my last visit if she did house calls. She actually said she did, which surprised me, though there's an extra charge for it of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats