Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Where in the H... do you think it is okay with me. I have gotten rid of feral cats that have attacked my cats. I have tried to trap this new feral, but he broke out of the trap. my cats will not take being just indoor cats. I have to get rid of this feral and have no way to it. the pound said it doesn't know what I can do. the human society can't help either.

I guess I should not have posted this at all because all you want to do is judge. I take very good care of my cats, but as to judging, I think it is wrong to make cats live indoors.

I'm sure you love them....I apologize if I seemed upset, cats being attacked and bitten is just the worst....

The animal shelter's job is to take in ferals if you call...why aren't they working on trapping him? You could hire a wildlife guy who traps wild animals such as raccoons...maybe he'd have more luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
I could only leave one cat in because the other cat freaks out when you lock the cat door. she was a feral. if I leave one cat in she could get out, when the sitter comes over, and then she will be in trouble.
If the one cat freaks out from being locked in the house, she will certainly freak out in a kennel. Probably the house is better because at least that's familiar to her.

I think the only solution is to have someone stay at your house and loosely stick to the routine the cats are accustomed to.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
I see this in a different way. If your cat is feral, that would mean she is not seeking or wanting human attention, can survive on her own and desire to live outdoors where her quality of life (from her eyes) are much better than the possibility of being locked indoors, why is she not left alone as a feral living outdoors 100% (I'm assuming your cats are fixed). I know it may sound cruel because the outside world is a dangerous one for cats. Being locked inside a home, or attacked by incoming ferals inside your home where escape is limited to 4 walls and 1 small exit instead of open space, some cats just do better if left outside completely. You can feed her when she comes home and build her an outdoor shelter but leave her outside instead.

About your other cat, that one sounds semi feral as well? I'm a little unsure.

Trapping and removing ferals will only invite more ferals into the territory. That won't work long term. The cat door needs to be closed completely and TNR the feral cats, especially the toms, help eliminate litters and less territorial aggression. But the door must remain close, either you remove, neuter or do nothing to that feral cat.

I know you love your cats. I think your heart is in the right place. Not many people would have the patience or love for a cat who won't reciprocate the same feelings or as much to their owners. Ferals are especially a difficult group to love for many.

Keep in mind also that there are diseases that are spread through contact. If I recall correctly, feline AIDS is one. There is no cure for it. Cats with questionable background who share food dishes or even transmit through fighting (ie bites) can spread many of possible types of fatal diseases. I would have your cats tested for FIV after they were bitten.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
IMHO, pet cats should NEVER be let outside. I know they all want to be outside roaming, etc., but there are too many dangers for them. One of my cats, who has always lived inside, tries to sneak out. If he manages to do it, he has no idea what to do and ends up crying in the window to get back in.

If your cats are well fed, played with, and healthy, there is no reason for them to go outside. I see lots of cats wandering around our rural neighborhood, and we have coyotes, foxes, owls, etc. No matter how "street smart" a cat may be, it won't be able to defend itself against a coyote or a vehicle speeding down the road.

If you love your kitties, which it sounds like you do, please keep them inside where they are safe.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
The first thing I would do is install a cat door with a sensor/magnet so ONLY your cats can use the door and feral cats can't come in.

IMO having a pet sitter come would be better than sending a cat to the kennel. Get some Feliway plugged in before you leave to help calm the cats.
Thank you. We will have to look into the pen sensor.

I believe I will lock out shy cat inside, and the other one who stays outside most of the time because she prefers it I can put outside, and the pet sitter can let her in, and if she wants to stay in let her. she is seldom in the house anyway. comes in to eat, get petted and leaves. She was a feral cat when saw her years ago, and I just tamed her and got her somewhat used to the house.

then if the other cat gets out the sitter would have to open the cat door so she could come back inside, and while she is wise to that new feral cat, I think she would have to be on her own until we return. I just wish that there were a better solution. I will look for that sensor.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Thank you. We will have to look into the pen sensor.

I believe I will lock out shy cat inside, and the other one who stays outside most of the time because she prefers it I can put outside, and the pet sitter can let her in, and if she wants to stay in let her. she is seldom in the house anyway. comes in to eat, get petted and leaves. She was a feral cat when saw her years ago, and I just tamed her and got her somewhat used to the house.

then if the other cat gets out the sitter would have to open the cat door so she could come back inside, and while she is wise to that new feral cat, I think she would have to be on her own until we return. I just wish that there were a better solution. I will look for that sensor.
FYI you will have to install both a new door and get sensors for the cats' collars. The door will "read" the tags and let the cats in.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'm sure you love them....I apologize if I seemed upset, cats being attacked and bitten is just the worst....

The animal shelter's job is to take in ferals if you call...why aren't they working on trapping him? You could hire a wildlife guy who traps wild animals such as raccoons...maybe he'd have more luck.
They would only set out a live trap as we have, and since they ignored the trap, then they tell me that there is nothing else they can do.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I see this in a different way. If your cat is feral, that would mean she is not seeking or wanting human attention, can survive on her own and desire to live outdoors where her quality of life (from her eyes) are much better than the possibility of being locked indoors, why is she not left alone as a feral living outdoors 100% (I'm assuming your cats are fixed). I know it may sound cruel because the outside world is a dangerous one for cats. Being locked inside a home, or attacked by incoming ferals inside your home where escape is limited to 4 walls and 1 small exit instead of open space, some cats just do better if left outside completely. You can feed her when she comes home and build her an outdoor shelter but leave her outside instead.

About your other cat, that one sounds semi feral as well? I'm a little unsure.

Trapping and removing ferals will only invite more ferals into the territory. That won't work long term. The cat door needs to be closed completely and TNR the feral cats, especially the toms, help eliminate litters and less territorial aggression. But the door must remain close, either you remove, neuter or do nothing to that feral cat.

I know you love your cats. I think your heart is in the right place. Not many people would have the patience or love for a cat who won't reciprocate the same feelings or as much to their owners. Ferals are especially a difficult group to love for many.

Keep in mind also that there are diseases that are spread through contact. If I recall correctly, feline AIDS is one. There is no cure for it. Cats with questionable background who share food dishes or even transmit through fighting (ie bites) can spread many of possible types of fatal diseases. I would have your cats tested for FIV after they were bitten.
The shy cat was found when she was a kitten. She is not a feral but is afraid of new people. The other cat came around and was trapped and taken to the vet to be spayed, as is my shy cat. They have their shots. The so-called feral cat began following me around the garden, so I tamed her. she is a lovely cat. She wants to be in the house at times, but most of the time she loves the outdoor. So does the other cat.

I believe you are right about getting rid of an aggressive feral cat just to have it be replaced. I think this feral cat keeps others from coming around. We have 4 other feral cats that have been fixed, and they remain outside, and this mean feral cat leaves them alone. Those 4 feral cats came as kittens and were fixed by live trapping. I had volunteered at the humane society at the time, and they wished me to keep them since we have too many feral cats here.

P.S. Neither are ferals that I own anymore. The one cat that prefers outside is socialized. She gets on my lap, wants attention. She goes over to a neighbor and wants petted. She has come along way. She just doesn't want to be locked inside.

The shy one has been my baby for years as well. She sleeps with us. She is just afraid of other people. I worry about her most because she has been distressed when we have left, and the cat sitter stresses her. A car driving into our driveway stresses her. I just don't want to come home and find that she got out of the locked house, has been bitten and is thin and sick. I just fear that it could be hard to keep her inside.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Mattie, can you purchase two of the larger sized crates (they sell various sizes at Chewy) and have both cats placed in them separately while you are away? They are inexpensive and you can get them in a size that will also house a small
litter tray. That way both cats would have security while you are gone, and the cat sitter could easily fill their food and water trays (those are sold separately, and clip to the inside of the bars) while keeping the cats safe.

You could place the two cages in a quiet bedroom, and loosely throw a sheet over each to calm them down. The only time the sitter would have to open the doors to crates would be to clean the litter tray. If she/he closes the bedroom door first, it would be easy enough to catch said cat should it 'escape' during litter cleaning.

I like the Feliway diffuser idea too. A radio playing soft music or the TV turned on to a music channel would also help calm them while you're gone. What ever happens, I wish you the best of luck.

*The crates are collapsible, so easy to store under a bed or in a closet until the next time you use it.
*The cost of the cages and cat bowls would be considerably less than boarding them at the vet for two weeks.

Wish I could help you with catching the feral. If you make sure he can't get to food a week or so, and then feed him
something very rich in the live trap, he may go in again due to desperation.

*One last thing. Of course I don't know your housing situation, (HOA ,rental) but if you own perhaps you could consider a catio to allow your kitties to go outside? This would protect them from Mr. Nasty.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.E88LqWKRa5w

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-04-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 PM

Thank you Rene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats