Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM

430 posts, read 335,300 times

Advertisements

Maybe its specific to where I live, but theres a good 20+ dog boarding places out here and ONE cat place. Hell, theres a bird boarding place with better hours. Granted, the cat place is great and all but I really wish there were more cat friendly boarding places. Cat owners need to board their pets too and its annoying with the extremely limited number of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Most cat owners I know use pet sitting services in their own home. Cats are very territorial, and moving to a new space is extremely stressful for them. I used to work at a kennel where we had a cat room. Most of the cats spent their time there hiding from us. And were often freaked out even when their owners came to get them. Some are unfazed, but they were the minority.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Most cat owners I know use pet sitting services in their own home. Cats are very territorial, and moving to a new space is extremely stressful for them. I used to work at a kennel where we had a cat room. Most of the cats spent their time there hiding from us. And were often freaked out even when their owners came to get them. Some are unfazed, but they were the minority.
Yep, and that translates into less demand for that service. Cats are a bit different than most pets, and do better when left in their own familiar surroundings. I know that can be a problem for some folks if decent cat-sitters aren't available in a particular area. Perhaps that will change as time goes on.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yep, and that translates into less demand for that service. Cats are a bit different than most pets, and do better when left in their own familiar surroundings. I know that can be a problem for some folks if decent cat-sitters aren't available in a particular area. Perhaps that will change as time goes on.
Im one of those where its problematic and thats why Im annoyed. I dont know anyone I can leave him with and my new job requires travel. But even then, there should be more options than at home pet sitters. People own cats too.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
If you're moving into a building, you can put a note up. I used to live in a big high rise and ended up minding more cats than dogs because you're right, people own cats and need to travel. Or you could join a site like NextDoor.com and ask for recommendations. You can also ask at a vet; they sometimes board or can make a recommendation. Sometimes the vet techs will cat mind if you would feel better about someone like that coming to your home.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
My daughter uses Rover. She has been very happy with her experiences. This is the link to the cat version:
https://www.rover.com/cat-sitting/

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 PM

I'll ask about techs if rover doesn't work out. I just don't know my neighbors enough to trust them to feed him, give him some love, check the litter box, and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats