Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:39 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually got a few of those (at the recommendation of someone here) while shopping at Pet Club - but it soaked through after the first use, even with a liner! Maybe because of his kidney disease, he pees more than healthy cats? So it seemed like a hassle to be replacing that daily, and I decided to go with the potty pads instead. Bought a large bag for like $10, and I'm just now running out after probably 3-4 weeks.

I'll consider trying the boxes again, at least while the kittens are here, since I don't love the idea of using potty pads in my carpeted bedroom.
Can you place the potty pads inside the box, so the kittens get the idea that they need to go in the box, and not outside around it.

Oh, and more cute kitty photos are in order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Can you place the potty pads inside the box, so the kittens get the idea that they need to go in the box, and not outside around it.
Sorry if that was confusing, but I was talking about my old guy Cyrus - the kittens are doing great with the pan, and haven’t had any accidents yet! Cyrus is the one who goes on potty pads now, since he’s so old he can’t easily get into a litter pan.

Quote:
Oh, and more cute kitty photos are in order
Did you see the ones from last night? I’ll post more later!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Honestly, they seem pretty comfortable in there! I opened the door for a while last night, and they'd occasionally peek their little heads out, then scramble back inside when they saw/heard something "scary." So it's definitely become their safe space, at least until they gain more confidence. And I have been slowly working on that, btw... in addition to cracking open the door, I've been taking them out for periods of supervised time on the couch and bed. They were having a BLAST on my bed last night, playing with each other and me for almost an hour. Eventually I was starting to feel like a pincushion, though, so I've been gradually (one paw at a time) trimming their needle nails too. LOL

Since it might be hard to tell from the photos, I don't think you realize how TINY these dudes are! They only weighed 0.7lbs when I got them, and are now up to a whopping 1.2lbs - so even my smallish home is a bit overwhelming for them, and kinda risky in terms of keeping them safe and secure. Regardless, I do appreciate your comments and will be slowly giving them more space/freedom. Also need to get Oswald to the vet asap, if I could ever catch him during their open hours. I swear, they instinctively know when it's vet time.

P.S. The bathroom they're in is a decent size with a window; plus I added a small fan, nightlight, and the cat tower mine never use. They LOVE that tower now, and spend most of their time snuggled on it. Maybe I'll gift it to my friend who's (likely) taking Harpo?
Yeah, they're fine then, and you're doing a good job with them. Loved the new photos you posted.

Btw- you need to convince your friend to take them both, and double-up on the fun & cute.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yeah, they're fine then, and you're doing a good job with them. Loved the new photos you posted.

Btw- you need to convince your friend to take them both, and double-up on the fun & cute.
I agree they’d make a great pair! But my sister might take the other one, or possibly both - and I’m not sure if my friend can take more than one, due to her apartment restrictions. She’s actually coming over now to meet them, and then my sister will be meeting them on Sunday. So we’ll see what happens! They’re both pretty independent for kittens, though, and should be fine either way (being adopted together or separately). Just had them out on the couch, and Harpo was exploring while Groucho just wanted to snuggle on me.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Soooo, it turns out that "Groucho and Harpo" are actually girls! I wasn't 100% sure, since it's hard to tell at this age... but then I registered for their foster management app, and it listed them both as females. Whoops! Guess I should call them Grouchette and Harpette now?

Oh, and my friend came (along with her 6.5 year-old son) to visit them last night, and decided she wants BOTH. Told her my sister still has first dibs, but if she doesn't want them, I'd love to have my friend take the pair. Would be nice if they can stay together, huh? And her son was great with them too, asking me to teach him how to hold them properly, and showing real concern for their well-being. He's a very sweet and bright little boy, so I don't worry about him at all.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Soooo, it turns out that "Groucho and Harpo" are actually girls! I wasn't 100% sure, since it's hard to tell at this age... but then I registered for their foster management app, and it listed them both as females. Whoops! Guess I should call them Grouchette and Harpette now?

Oh, and my friend came (along with her 6.5 year-old son) to visit them last night, and decided she wants BOTH. Told her my sister still has first dibs, but if she doesn't want them, I'd love to have my friend take the pair. Would be nice if they can stay together, huh? And her son was great with them too, asking me to teach him how to hold them properly, and showing real concern for their well-being. He's a very sweet and bright little boy, so I don't worry about him at all.
Your friend has done a good job of teaching her son to respect animals, and it's always a wonderful thing to see. Hope things work out for them to have these two kittens (with condolences to your sister, of course). Either way, looks like they will be in a good home. Can't ask for better than that.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Your friend has done a good job of teaching her son to respect animals, and it's always a wonderful thing to see. Hope things work out for them to have these two kittens (with condolences to your sister, of course). Either way, looks like they will be in a good home. Can't ask for better than that.
Exactly! My sister is planning to meet them tonight, so we'll see what happens. She lost a 4 year-old cat to kidney disease last year, and her kids (aged 10 & 8) have been asking for another kitty... they're an extremely busy family, so ideally they'd take both to give them a built-in playmate. Knowing they are females, however, makes me less concerned about them going together (as females tend to be more independent). Regardless, I don't think they'll be going back to the shelter.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Every morning, I click on this thread just to get another look at those two cute little faces. Makes me smile and starts my day off right !

Old 06-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Every morning, I click on this thread just to get another look at those two cute little faces. Makes me smile and starts my day off right !
Pretty tempting, aren't they.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
They certainly brighten my day! I’ll post a few more pics later (can’t do it from my phone) - they have grown quite a bit in just the last week, and personalities are blossoming too.

Btw, my sister decided to wait on getting another cat, so my friend is now planning to take both... I’ll miss them, but happy they’re going together! And I insisted on visitation + first right of refusal (to take them back) if she can’t keep them for any reason in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats