Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,779,971 times

Advertisements

Bears visited us last night.

They were well behaved and didn't knock the trashcan over.

The only reason we knew they came was that the guy across the street just seeded his lawn and they left footprints all over it.

The cats are in the woods hunting for them.

I don't know what they plan to do if they find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,518,000 times
Cats are the most ferocious mammal ever to live, next to us. What kind of cat are you speaking of? Puma I will suppose.

Although mostly solitary in hunting, they are wicked smart at attack. A hungry Mountain lion (and perhaps his mate) is a worthy opponent.

A man has been known to bring down a bear with an arrow or two...

Cunning is the keyword, and cats certainly are.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-07-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Cats are the most ferocious mammal ever to live, next to us. What kind of cat are you speaking of? Puma I will suppose.
We don't have any Pumas.

There are Cougars here, but I haven't seen one for years.

The ferocious mammals I'm talking about are Orange Tabbys, and Tortoiseshells.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM

343 posts, read 227,144 times
What kind of bear do you have there? In NJ we just have black bears and the most they do is turn over garbage bins and poop in the lawn. The poop is the worst part. Does a bear do it's business in the woods- no, they toilet on lawns surrounded by tea roses!

I can't see a cat facing a bear but then again I'm picturing domestic moggie cats. Mine would stay away anyway- well at least 3 out of the 4 would.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,518,000 times
Your original post did not state that. I can't imagine a house cat stalking a bear, hence my post thinking you meant a large cat.

House cats are as smart as their counterparts (big cats) intelligent, and just the smell would tell them a hundred different things, like animal, ferocity, size, "I'm too big for you to take on"...

No house cat would ever stalk a bear. Smell the paw print? Yes, Follow the trail up to the creature? No.

*Cougars are: Mountain lions. Pumas. Florida Panthers. Texas Panthers. Mexican Panthers coming into San Diego area. All the same animal, with a few subspecies genetics thrown in....

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-07-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 02:21 PM

The cats are back.

I don't know if they found any bears.

But when they got back, one of the Mama Coons brought her three babies over to introduce them.

This was the first time the babies had seen cats or humans.

There are two other Mamas with babies, but they haven't brought them out yet.

Last year we had about a dozen babies.

They always want to play with the cats, but they play too rough so the cats won't play with them.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,256,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The cats are back.

I don't know if they found any bears.

But when they got back, one of the Mama Coons brought her three babies over to introduce them.

This was the first time the babies had seen cats or humans.

There are two other Mamas with babies, but they haven't brought them out yet.

Last year we had about a dozen babies.

They always want to play with the cats, but they play too rough so the cats won't play with them.
I really envy you, my friend.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,884,376 times
The house cats could just be curious and want to watch the bear, not attack them.

We had a cat that caught ducks, even in flight but knew enough to let the larger geese alone.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I really envy you, my friend.
I'm going to try to get some pictures or videos this year but those little coons are hard to keep up with. I can't open the door when they are out there because they try to run in the house. One did that least year and it was quite a commotion.

He ran in and didn't know where he was and panicked. He peed on the floor and hid under a chair. But there was already a cat under there and several more just sitting around watching what was going on. Mama Coon was outside getting very anxious but she wouldn't come in to get him. If we left, she would probably would have.

I didn't have any gloves handy so I threw a towel over him and picked him up. He was safely wrapped in the towel so I took him back out and gave him to his mother.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Another Mama Coon just brought her two babies.
The one in the picture just saw his first human, me.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunting Bear-img_0331.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats