Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:25 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

My dad, years ago, named my little black kitten this:

Rat Cat Shorty Dog.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
I got a cat (inherited through leasing an apartment) years ago. It was named ‘Marilyn’ (after MM), apparently due to its glamorous charms. But it was a male, so I renamed it ‘Merlyn’. It truly was a magical cat. Everyone in the immediate neighborhood loved it. They fed it, let it in their homes and one neighbor didn’t even mind it clawing the furniture! Seriously, and thy had a beautiful home. I moved away, but nearby and that cat literally raised my cocker spaniel. I never had a dog that loved a cat so much. I went on vacation and had a friend set up to feed/care for Merlyn, but when I returned, Merlyn was gone and never returned. Looked everywhere for the longest time. The neighbors in my old apartment neighborhood had not seen him. They were as distraught as I and asked not to be informed if I found that somehow it had met with some unfortunate end. For years after, whenever I saw a cat and I’d have my dog with me, I’d say “There’s Merlyn!” and she would go crazy trying to get to the cat. Haven’t had/wanted a cat since.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I got a cat (inherited through leasing an apartment) years ago. It was named ‘Marilyn’ (after MM), apparently due to its glamorous charms. But it was a male, so I renamed it ‘Merlyn’. It truly was a magical cat. Everyone in the immediate neighborhood loved it. They fed it, let it in their homes and one neighbor didn’t even mind it clawing the furniture! Seriously, and thy had a beautiful home. I moved away, but nearby and that cat literally raised my cocker spaniel. I never had a dog that loved a cat so much. I went on vacation and had a friend set up to feed/care for Merlyn, but when I returned, Merlyn was gone and never returned. Looked everywhere for the longest time. The neighbors in my old apartment neighborhood had not seen him. They were as distraught as I and asked not to be informed if I found that somehow it had met with some unfortunate end. For years after, whenever I saw a cat and I’d have my dog with me, I’d say “There’s Merlyn!” and she would go crazy trying to get to the cat. Haven’t had/wanted a cat since.
Merlyn was a great name for a special kitty

...so sorry he disappeared. Both you and the dog were sad, I know....

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Way back in the 80's a very nice lady, who would become my wife, started feeding a rough looking Orange stray that kept showing up on her porch. He was a friendly little guy, but did have a few battle scars here & there. His body was average size, but he a had a big head & a wide face that was a little out of proportion with the rest of him. My wife eventually named him Funny Face, because you couldn't look at him without smiling. He remained an outdoor cat & roamed the area around our property for several years. One day he just didn't come home from safari, and we never knew what happened to him for sure. Every time I see a cat with a wide face, I think of him. He still puts a smile on my face.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Way back in the 80's a very nice lady, who would become my wife, started feeding a rough looking Orange stray that kept showing up on her porch. He was a friendly little guy, but did have a few battle scars here & there. His body was average size, but he a had a big head & a wide face that was a little out of proportion with the rest of him. My wife eventually named him Funny Face, because you couldn't look at him without smiling. He remained an outdoor cat & roamed the area around our property for several years. One day he just didn't come home from safari, and we never knew what happened to him for sure. Every time I see a cat with a wide face, I think of him. He still puts a smile on my face.

Aww...Funny Face, sweet. Sorry he disappeared, that's happened to me as well.

Their appearance can certainly affect the name. My Marlie has tiny ears for the size of his head....so he gets a lot of little ear nicknames...

Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I had a big old orange cat, who I should have named "Garfield", but I named him "Tikva" (Russian for pumpkin). He was a great cat, he's gone over the bridge some time ago. He was so big, but would run and jump like he weighed nothing (but his weight did show up in his landing).

Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Pronounced "see AAA tee"

Spelled c-A-t.

Our Devon is named Stella Luna because she looks just like Stella Luna from the children's book. Her nickname is Looney. Which, if you have ever known a Devon, you will understand.

We had a really bold Orange tabby cat move in under our house. We gave him to our in-laws. After they neutered him, he got really fat. He was named Pumpkin.

Another long hair cat was thrown into our pool in the middle of the night one night. We pulled her out. She was pregnant. After she had her kittens and they found homes and she was neutered she also went to in-laws (my wife and one son are allergic to cats - hence the Devon) She was an unusual misty grey/tannish color. She was also extremely skittish. Once she arrived at in-laws MIL was the only person who ever saw her again. She would just be a flicker in the corner as she dashed form hiding spot to hiding spot. She was "Shadow Cat"

All of our other cats over the years had boring names.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pronounced "see AAA tee"

Spelled c-A-t.

Our Devon is named Stella Luna because she looks just like Stella Luna from the children's book. Her nickname is Looney. Which, if you have ever known a Devon, you will understand.

We had a really bold Orange tabby cat move in under our house. We gave him to our in-laws. After they neutered him, he got really fat. He was named Pumpkin.

Another long hair cat was thrown into our pool in the middle of the night one night. We pulled her out. She was pregnant. After she had her kittens and they found homes and she was neutered she also went to in-laws (my wife and one son are allergic to cats - hence the Devon) She was an unusual misty grey/tannish color. She was also extremely skittish. Once she arrived at in-laws MIL was the only person who ever saw her again. She would just be a flicker in the corner as she dashed form hiding spot to hiding spot. She was "Shadow Cat"

All of our other cats over the years had boring names.

Love Stella Luna....

Old 06-16-2018, 09:41 PM

98 posts, read 198,124 times
I had a runt female Calico I named Twig. She was so slight and small. When I found out she was pregnant I didn't think she'd survive giving birth....but she did. One kitten.

I had two cats I named Dude. A gray long hair with big feet and my mini Maine Coon. The Maine Coon was such a diva.

One of my new cats is part Devon Rex, skinny and rambunctious that we called Alaska.

The love of my life though was Cheerio. He was called that because he was the color of the cereal of the same name.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pronounced "see AAA tee"

Spelled c-A-t.

I love this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats