Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have moved our litter boxes around many times over the years, and the cats always find them. I would put it in a room, with them in there with me, fill it with new litter, and leave them locked in that room for a while to start realizing it is going to be there.

We have even had our litter box out on the lanai, and the cats had to go out there through the pet door, and they never had a problem. You should be fine.......cats are pretty smart.

One night, Mama Cat at the shop, got out of the office and into the shop. We couldn't find her, so she spent the night in there. The next day we found her, and also a tub of sand that we use for sandblasting, she had found it and used it as her litter box !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes I understand that part. I wondered why you bothered to ask since you'd already done it.
Well they could still poop where the box has been for 3 and a half years if people thought it would be an issue

Old 06-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
We have a house shaped like a rectangle. We have litter boxes at each end on the first floor. And on the second floor, one end and the middle. The other end is our bedroom so we don't have one in there but do have the door open since some like to cuddle with us at night or hide under the comforter during the day.

There's usually one aging or one little one not so agile so IN ADDITION there are two shallow ones. If you can find a truly shallow hard plastic great. We also use bankers box lids with one of those thick black plastic bags doubled, placed in the box and held with those enormous rubber bands for things like trash cans.

We have one that likes to #1 in the deeper litter box and #2 in the shallow box next to it and has done so for years.

We put largish carpeting under the boxes and that seems to help cut down on tracking litter around. I have a small vacuum easy to carry to vacuum the carpets. I should get another one, one for each floor. Every little bit like that cuts down on time.
If we let the buggers in our bedroom they would sit on our heads and wake us up 😂

Old 06-24-2018, 03:42 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
Quote:
To keep down on the litter getting stuck in their feet and then getting all over the furniture and wood floors on the first floor?!
If you want a litter that clumps VERY well, has low to no dust, doesn't track much, and no white dusty paw prints left on your wood floors... try Dr Elseys Premium Clumping litter.

The litter is larger pieces... not "sandy" like so many other brands. If any litter should stick to your cats' paws, it falls off pretty quickly, as the cat exits the litter box.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elseys-Pre...ous+cat+litter

I also use these mats. The litter falls "inside" the mats.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-R...rds=litter+mat

With the above combo, you will never see dusty paw prints leaving the litter box, and you won't have to vacuum stray litter again.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:50 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Well they could still poop where the box has been for 3 and a half years if people thought it would be an issue

Yes, they could. I hope, since there was already one there they were used to using, it won't take too much adjustment for them to get out of the habit of the old place.

That's the purpose behind moving them gradually, by the way, for cats who have trouble with change, especially. You would know best whether you cats can cope with change or not, of course.

I live on the second floor but have a small entry/utility room downstairs where the litter boxes are. My precious red boy, he was only 12, when he developed cancer, and he was swollen up like a balloon from fluid, he couldn't get up and down the stairs any more. I put a litter box in my bathroom on the living floor, for him.

He would not use it, he just couldn't adjust, so I simply carried him up and down the stairs several times a day, so he could use his litter boxes as always.

On the other hand, long before he got sick, an elderly girl , when her arthritis got bad, I put a box for her in the bathroom and she knew it was for her and took right to it. My red boy was younger then, and never used that one either, or even paid any attention to it. So you just never know how a cat will react.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-24-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 04:57 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
Quote:
If we let the buggers in our bedroom they would sit on our heads and wake us up 😂
Aw. I have a middle age one who is little and loves to fall asleep on my upper arm. She does a little night indoor exploring later. In the morning I will often turn over and there she is on her "spot", a washcloth she loves right by my head.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, they could. I hope, since there was already one there they were used to using, it won't take too much adjustment for them to get out of the habit of the old place.

That's the purpose behind moving them gradually, by the way, for cats who have trouble with change, especially. You would know best whether you cats can cope with change or not, of course.

I live on the second floor but have a small entry/utility room downstairs where the litter boxes are. My precious red boy, he was only 12, when he developed cancer, and he was swollen up like a balloon from fluid, he couldn't get up and down the stairs any more. I put a litter box in my bathroom on the living floor, for him.

He would not use it, he just couldn't adjust, so I simply carried him up and down the stairs several times a day, so he could use his litter boxes as always.

On the other hand, long before he got sick, an elderly girl , when her arthritis got bad, I put a box for her in the bathroom and she knew it was for her and took right to it. My red boy was younger then, and never used that one either, or even paid any attention to it. So you just never know how a cat will react.
Good points thanks

Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Aw. I have a middle age one who is little and loves to fall asleep on my upper arm. She does a little night indoor exploring later. In the morning I will often turn over and there she is on her "spot", a washcloth she loves right by my head.
That's adorable. Be sure to tell that story the next time someone asks why you love your cat so much.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Yep on the couch they always have to be laying on our chests right under our neck

Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Yep on the couch they always have to be laying on our chests right under our neck

I have one like that too. I have to read with my book straight armed above my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats