Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:18 AM

110 posts, read 491,133 times

Advertisements

So thanks to a misread text, I adopted out a kitten today that my kids wanted to keep!

We have been fostering five kittens since late June and they are ready to be placed. We strongly
bonded with one and were torn by which two should remain with her...because I only want two cats for our family. We agonized over the decision for a week and crunch time came when a great family showed up yesterday to adopt two. My kids happened to be camping with friends and reception is terrible..but texting works. I told my kids about the interested family and that we needed to make a decision about which kitten to keep—Bo or Luna? The night before we had seemingly settled on Luna but when I asked them to confirm tis, they agreed to adopt out Bo..but they thought I said adopt Bo—as in WE would adopt him and overlooked the word “out”! So the opposite happened. In other words, I placed a kitten my kids wanted to keep!

My daughter has been in tears all day and it’s devastating for us all. The family has signed paperwork but have not paid the adoption fee yet. We feel sick as we suddenly realize the kitten going is the right one for us.

It’s probably too late now but wanted to find out your thoughts on this. I considered asking the family to consider choosing a different kitten but I would feel like a total flake doing so. We had a huge loss a few years ago when we had to put our cats in a temporary home during a move and they both got out and were never seen again. So this is hitting us hard.

Anyone have any encouraging thoughts?

Signed,

Mom who screwed up royally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 08:01 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Oh sorry...but just a mix up, you didn't screw up royally!

Normally I'd say don't go back on the adoption, as they did make their choice....but I know you want to please your children.

You could politely ask, without drama or too much explanation, if they'd consider a different kitten. But then follow up on what they say...if they say no problem, good for you. If they are hesitant and state they really want the preferred kitten, you should allow the adoption. Your family will get over it in time.

That's your job, right, to foster until adoption?

Old 07-28-2018, 02:34 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh sorry...but just a mix up, you didn't screw up royally!

Normally I'd say don't go back on the adoption, as they did make their choice....but I know you want to please your children.

You could politely ask, without drama or too much explanation, if they'd consider a different kitten. But then follow up on what they say...if they say no problem, good for you. If they are hesitant and state they really want the preferred kitten, you should allow the adoption. Your family will get over it in time.

That's your job, right, to foster until adoption?
Yep, my advice as well. Wouldn't hurt to ask, just be prepared if they say no. And do it before another day goes by.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Wow, what a tough dilemma. I'd recommend what greatblueheron suggested.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Well, I think your family should have figured out which ones you definitely wanted BEFORE you offered any to someone else. What caused this mess was your family being indecisive, even after the adoption started.

Yeah, I would ask the people if they could reconsider, but if they balk, you have to see their side of the story. They did nothing wrong, and they have their heart set on their pick.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Ok, some people are not going to like this but do the cat a favor and allow him to be adopted by the family that wants him. You in turn and your family should keep the kitten that is least likely to be adopted. He will probably turn out to be just as wonderful and loving as any of the others. Do a selfless thing and adopt the kitten which other people don't want, not the kitten that is the popular one.
Explain to your daughter that even kittens and puppies that are not as out going and don't have pretty markings need homes just as much as the others. You'll be giving that kitten a great home and teaching your daughter a valuable lesson. That would be my plan.

Last edited by marino760; 07-29-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 03:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Ok, some people are not going to like this but do the cat a favor and allow him to be adopted by the family that wants him. You in turn and your family should keep the kitten that is least likely to be adopted. He will probably turn out to be just as wonderful and loving as any of the others. Do a selfless thing and adopt the kitten which other people don't want, not the kitten that is the popular one.
Explain to your daughter that even kittens and puppies that are not as out going and don't have pretty markings need homes just as much as the others. You'll be giving that kitten a great home and teaching your daughter a valuable lesson. That would be my plan.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

You said it much better than I ever could have. I agree 100%.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:15 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
You are far more important as a foster parent to other unwanted kitties. Please explain this to your children. Get another foster kitten.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Looking at it from the adopter's side, I would be heartbroken if a shelter or rescue asked me to return a kitten or cat I'd chosen! It would make me question the organization.

As hard as it is, I would NOT contact the adopter(s). They were not aware of the situation and it's unfair to ask them to return the animal. Let the kitten go to his/her new family and choose another kitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats