Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

My cat Flea Taxi had a large lump (fluid) on his neck and after a vet visit I learned it was not cancer. The Vet suggested we just leave it be due to the cats age. He didn't think sedating the cat to remove it was worth the risk.

Yesterday the lump ruptured and is no just a small bump. I am wondering if I should take FT back to the vet for anti-biotics or if I should wait to see if it becomes infected or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 06:28 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Sure, bring him to the vet to check. Better than leaving an open wound. If it's the same thing, one of ours had this two times. Always in January for some reason. It was an abscess from an outside fight. He would go off his food before it grew. His vet would say, sounds like an abscess waiting to happen. Shortly, it did. I would bring him in and a vet would drain it. He'd leave an opening so it could be drained at home. I'd drain it further the following days. I understand there can be a complication sometimes regarding draining but we didn't have a problem fortunately. Forget what the med was but not a big deal. He was a good strong boy.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Absolutely take him in....antibiotics likely needed. He'll feel better too. Poor Flea Taxi.

Do you use topical flea treatment every month?

The problem can occur when the area grows back together before draining out all infection, fluid. Occasionally they will place a rubber tube in to drain....then allow it to close once that is completed.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I too would take him in. They can flush it out and add a drain if needed.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I will take him in this afternoon- thanks all for the advice.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My cat Flea Taxi had a large lump (fluid) on his neck and after a vet visit I learned it was not cancer. The Vet suggested we just leave it be due to the cats age. He didn't think sedating the cat to remove it was worth the risk.

Yesterday the lump ruptured and is no just a small bump. I am wondering if I should take FT back to the vet for anti-biotics or if I should wait to see if it becomes infected or not.
That makes no sense to me at all. That lump, from your description, sounds exactly like an abscess. An abscess is an infection already, and every vet I know would have drained it, and put your cat on an antibiotic. I don't know how well you know the vet in question, but he apparently misdiagnosed that lump. I had abscesses drained before & no sedation was required, so don't know why that was a concern.

Like all the others have said, make sure the wound drains completely, and get him on an antibiotic as soon as you can. Hope he heals up ok.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:00 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,682 times
Not cancer. I had the same thing with my cat. The vet was telling me it is cancer and start thinking about euthanasia. I sid - how about some antibiotics? She gave them and they worked. The "lump" ruptured and bled which made me nervouse but it cleared out the infection and he was fine. That was 10 years ago. Gave full 10 day course. Reported the vet to the licensing bureau and found a new vet.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
I don't know what's wrong with some vets jumping to some conclusions. Mine wasn't sedated. In fact another one as well in a similar situation, a rescue who had been in a short fight. Unless the cat has other issues, sometimes a numbing type shot and nice techs, good vet can get it done quick. Recovery can take attention but it can be done.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I was going to say I'd take him to the vet, but probably not the same one who sent him home with a mis-diagnosis. Frankly, if you paid him by credit card, I might try to stop payment because what he told you was so wrong and so horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats