Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 PM

17 posts, read 14,129 times

Advertisements

I will look into RadCat too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 04:03 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeebysOwner View Post
Thanks and wow! Good point about Cosequin only helping to a certain degree in the progression of arthritis. NSAIDs, as far as I - and my vet - are concerned are a LAST RESORT.

I really hate the idea of injections, but have yet to look up more on Adequan. And, have zero knowledge/awareness of the other remedies you mentioned. I did read enough about GLM that I might just go that route. Going to ask my vet about it just to see if they have even used it.

Never thought of something so simple as placing her dish on an ice pack. Have you actually done that?

Well the injections given at home are subq (subcutaneous, under the skin) so really not difficult or invasive.

I don't use ice packs because I schedule feed. My healthy cats are fed four meals a day and the one whose digestion is destroyed from that Hills garbage is down to 10 meals a day. Originally she had to be fed 22 times a day. Gradually over the last 8 years I have been able to reduce the servings (by feeding larger amounts) to 10 servings a day. The 10 a day has been in effect about 6 months.

Like I said, there is no safe NSAID for cats, so there is no "last resort" to turn to regarding such. It's either opoid pain meds or gabapentin, if you go the medication route. Metacam (meloxicam) is not approved for use in cats in the US and comes with a black box warning stating this. I don't blame you for not wanting to use drugs or risk her kidneys by giving metacam. I would not use metacam on a cat unless the cat had nothing else to lose, and if she was at that point I would let her go, not try unsafe drugs.

Vets like to use it off label but the risk is too great in my opinion.

I hope the GLM helps your kitty. There are other made for pets products containing GLM that vets like to suggest, but they are full of other needless bad for them junk as well. The SuperSnouts brand is pure GLM. One jar lasts me about 7 months I think.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:25 PM

After looking at GLMs, I agree with your assessment of Super Snouts. I am leaning that way before even trying Cosequin.

She has lessened her jumping up on things, but we have DIY steps all throughout the house to help her get to her favorite elevated places. Sometimes she uses them - sometimes not. She is still eating pretty well - but, knowing her that will be the last thing to go. She was a stray my niece found around the age of 2. She was emaciated, and 12 years later she has never ever forgotten about being without food.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 PM

98 posts, read 198,034 times
I've given Cosequin capsules to my oldest female for several years and I did have her on the prescription food at one time. In her case the Cosequin is for bladder health because she would get spasms and would only urinate a little.

I stopped feeding her the prescription diet because I hated the poor nutrition in the ingredients and the cost was outrageous for such poor quality food. She would eat it and did well for years and have the Cosequin too. Now I feed her totally grain free but I've kept her on the Cosequin. I've stopped the Cosequin in the past but her condition would return.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Thanks, good to know!

I know there are many people saying that bladder health is what they are using Cosequin for, and maybe I will end up using it - and GLM. But I just can't afford to take the chance to use it as a replacement for her prescription food. At her age, I can't risk it. One bladder surgery was enough.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 PM

After a lot of research, and discussing in detail with my vet, I am going to try Glyco Flex Plus. I am sure there are probably some ingredients in it that some of you might be opposed to; but, my vet said it would be better to use this product than to combine Cosequin and GLM. It should give the same benefits as both, but in one chewable pill. Now just let's see if she will eat them - although, they can be broken up and sprinkled on food as well.

The vet said that Adequan may be the ultimate answer because the damage in her vertebrae is not the same as typical arthritis of the joints. But, he thought the Glyco Flex Plus would be worth trying before going to an injection. If I have to end up going that route, I can do the injections from home, at least.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Yeah, my vet tried to get me to use that stuff too. After reading this list I declined.

GlycoFlex® - Serious Joint Care for Pets

Arabic Gum, Brewers Yeast, Calcium Sulfate, Canola Oil, Citric Acid, Citrus Pectin, Fish Meal, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Mixed Tocopherols, Propionic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid, Soy Lecithin, Vegetable Oil, Water.

Good luck with your girl. Hope it helps her quickly, let us know. Do let us know if you try the adequan injections as well!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM

I knew you'd feel that way given the additives. He just said he would prefer she get the mixed version via Glyco Flex, as opposed to having to give her multiple items (such as Cosequin & GLM).

All I can do is try. And, if I don't see improvement, we might just have to go the Adequan route. Another day...

But, I surely will keep you all posted!!

Old 03-27-2019, 07:42 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

I hope the GLM helps your kitty. There are other made for pets products containing GLM that vets like to suggest, but they are full of other needless bad for them junk as well. The SuperSnouts brand is pure GLM. One jar lasts me about 7 months I think.

Catsmom I'm going to order this...I checked with my vet and she thinks it sounds interesting. I am giving my arthritic cat Cosequin and gabapentin but the vet thinks if I try the GLM to maybe stop the Cosequin.

What sort of dosage do you give your cat and when and how? Assume you mix in food?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Catsmom I'm going to order this...I checked with my vet and she thinks it sounds interesting. I am giving my arthritic cat Cosequin and gabapentin but the vet thinks if I try the GLM to maybe stop the Cosequin.

What sort of dosage do you give your cat and when and how? Assume you mix in food?

Thanks!

The dosing is on the label. It is recommended to start with a higher ("loading") dose then taper down to maintenance dose, but I did the opposite and started with only just a few grains a day, working up to the full dose over a 3 week period.

Cats can be funny about new things, and my cat has IBD (from the garbage "prescription" diet she was on for 6 years) so any change has to be done extremely slowly.

I mix it in her food, one meal a day.

She is on cosequin as well, that was started years ago for bladder health. I did try to stop it once, but she experienced some constipation when stopped it, and so I just give her both (in separate meals). I didn't see any reason not to give both.

Does your vet say why to stop the cosequin if givng the GLM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats