Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 09:06 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have seen my other related post, "Diamond is getting neutered today."

Two years ago, I tried my best to trap a litter of kittens (i think there were 5) but could not catch a single one. The only one I saw after that was Diamond.

Last night, a neighbor girl stopped by. She knows of our love of cats. She mentioned that there were "a lot of cats" under a house nearby, and she described the yard to me. She said there were at least two orange cats.

YIKES! I think this is the former litter of kittens, plus many more! I think I've found the house and their hidey-hole under the porch but I need to investigate more.

From talking to neighbors in the past, we know these cats were tossed outside and aren't cared for/fed/spayed. They also are not friendly people and will not allow us to trap on their property.

What are the rules about cats like these? Can I trap them on our property (or with permission from other neighbors) and have them spayed? Anyone know?

I suppose I can call the local shelter and ask what the city rules are, or maybe they can stop by and talk with them? I really want to stop the breeding before it gets worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
If they're not being fed, you should be able to lure them to your property with bait-food.
My neighbor "loves" cats and kittens, but refuses to really love them by trapping, spay/neuter and then release.
So he kept allowing them to breed! It infuriated us to no end. I nicely mentioned this to him one day, when he
proceeded to tell me he was keeping a pair of siamese-looking kittens. I looked around, and there were cats everywhere, of all ages. When I asked him if he was going to have them fixed, he just shrugged his shoulders and let the subject drop...
Good luck with your efforts. The cats will be happier, and your neighborhood. We are able to care for the 3 ferals that live on our property, and had them all fixed. Wish there were more people like you Ms. Rene.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I've driven by the house I think has the cats a couple of times (don't want to be a creeper) but I have not sign any sign of them. I guess step one is to wire open a trap and put food inside to see if I get any takers. They are true ferals, and I only see the one we call Diamond.

I plan on calling the local shelter and asking their opinion. I'm sure they've dealt with this in our city many, many times (sadly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats