Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,080,625 times

Advertisements

Well, I FINALLY ended up finding a nice place. It's in a nice, quiet area of town and the neighbors in the building are friendly. The elderly woman who caretakes the building is a sweetheart. I'm paying less than I am in my current apartment, have more room and several amenities like a garbage disposal (which I miss), a dishwasher (which I'll never use) and a balcony (which I'll use daily). There is NO pent rent and a $400 cat deposit (and another $400 deposit for me). The good news on that is that it's 100% refundable when I move out.

It was stressful, and hard work, but I did it! I only have to be there for a year. By the end of the year, I'll be debt-free and on my way to Wyoming for good. At least when I leave, I'll have an additional $800 in deposits coming my way. I view that as a nice little savings account.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/BlogCabinGuy/CIMG0047-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/BlogCabinGuy/CIMG0053.jpg (broken link)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/BlogCabinGuy/CIMG0037.jpg (broken link)

And the picture below is my goal...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/BlogCabinGuy/carolina_log_cabin.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,093,810 times
My son wants your kitty!!! He LOVES all black cats!!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,930,529 times
Default apartment hunting

I was talking to a friend yesterday about this same thing. Her daughter and fiancee were out looking at rental houses and were blown away by the deposits being requested for pets. I told her I'd seen some $400-500 "deposits" per pet plus up to $40 per month additional rent at some apartments here in Charlotte. I can understand a pet deposit and even call it a pet fee if its unrefundable, but I expect new carpet when I move in if that's what its to be used for. My current place, there is a nasty stain that the maintenance men made on the bedroom carpet, the day I moved in. I made sure it was written up....three different places in my move in inspection forms so my cats don't get blamed for it. I know they probably won't replace the carpet after I move out....even though that should be a requirement if you have pets. My friends daughter said they walked into a house that had tile floors....the current renter has 4 cats and they said the house reeked of cat urine. no way to get that out of the grout....that home owner will have to regrout the entire house. said they went into the living room and no further the smell was so bad. these are the types of people that landlords hate and cause problems for the rest of us.

I don't mind paying a reasonable pet fee.... but no additional rent. I would require a complex/landlord to replace the carpet if there had been a pet in the residence prior to me. I know that's law in some states to replace the carpet between each tenant.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM

41,729 posts, read 74,675,578 times
What an adorable cat! Love the dream cabin, too.

Good luck in your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats