Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:07 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Keeping my paws crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Apparently, she has a heart murmur-something she didn't have before. And she lost over a lb since July. She let the vet look at her mouth-which we KNEW she wasn't right when that happened. It is written all over her chart "BITES." But, she just sat there. The vet said that she COULD have a clot but doesn't know. She said the only way to know is if we did an MRI-which they can't do at the clinic-she would have to go somewhere else. We totally opted out of that because-well, cha-ching and it still might not help her-not to mention about putting her through all that stress.

She has had 4 shots and another appointment tomorrow. Hopefully, she will sleep because they gave her an opioid but so far, she is still awake.

Cat
Did they do blood work? Check her thyroid? If she's lost that much weight she could be hyperthyroid.

Also, what "grade" was the heart murmur (they are 1-5 with 5 being the most severe). Benny has had a grade 2 for many years, and it's not been an issue. It's remained stable for years and required no treatment.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
My cat was treated for several good years having heart murmur, congestive heart failure....so good luck. Meds did the trick.

Thinking of Electra and you, sending good thoughts and hoping for the best.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Did they do blood work? Check her thyroid? If she's lost that much weight she could be hyperthyroid.

Also, what "grade" was the heart murmur (they are 1-5 with 5 being the most severe). Benny has had a grade 2 for many years, and it's not been an issue. It's remained stable for years and required no treatment.
Not this time. When she started losing weight last year, they did all sorts of blood work-thyroid, kidney, etc. etc. All came back negative. But, the way she was when we bought her in yesterday, they didn't want the added stress of taking blood.

As for the murmur, they didn't say. I will see what they say when we bring her in today.

She seems a bit more perky today but that could be because the opioid is no longer in her system. She drank some water (with my assistance in holding her to the water dish), and she ate a bit. I left the plate and it is almost gone so I don't know if she ate it or if she had help.

When I went to check on her, she was lying in the catbox. I put a pee pad down just in case but I guess she was determined to use the box-like she did yesterday but yesterday she didn't make it. I was just about to go check on her and when I got up from my computer and turned around, there she is. She came into the office on her own. She is moving but a little bit at a time. I HOPE that is a good sign.

Cat

Old 11-07-2018, 12:23 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
keep on going Electra!!!

Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Not this time. When she started losing weight last year, they did all sorts of blood work-thyroid, kidney, etc. etc. All came back negative. But, the way she was when we bought her in yesterday, they didn't want the added stress of taking blood.

As for the murmur, they didn't say. I will see what they say when we bring her in today.

She seems a bit more perky today but that could be because the opioid is no longer in her system. She drank some water (with my assistance in holding her to the water dish), and she ate a bit. I left the plate and it is almost gone so I don't know if she ate it or if she had help.

When I went to check on her, she was lying in the catbox. I put a pee down just in case but I guess she was determined to use the box-like she did yesterday but yesterday she didn't make it. I was just about to go check on her and when I got up from my computer and turned around, there she is. She came into the office on her own. She is moving but a little bit at a time. I HOPE that is a good sign.

Cat
Will the vet will do a blood panel today, or has she had one recently ? My 18 yr. old Mitzi would get a blood panel done every 4 months for about a year before she left us. She had CKD, chronic kidney disease, and I asked my vet to tell me honestly when the time came, which was just about at the end of that year of treatment. Seems like we have our kitties for years, they are family, and the years go by so quickly -- eventually we face the inevitable.

Know that we are all with you and Electra, sending warm hugs and prayers.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Oh sweetie, I hope she continues to improve. It is so devastating to lose a beloved animal, as all of us know.

Please do keep us posted ... and post some photos for us of your lovely Electra, if you are so inclined.

hugs,
Karen

Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
So, when I went to put her into the bin to take her to the vet, she put up a FIGHT! (Good sign.) It was kind of funny because I held on to her front paws so she couldn't go spread eagle on me-but sure enough, the back paw was held out. I felt really bad because I could feel her heart pounding and that got me worried-but I got her in.

They did do blood work on her and found out that her kidneys are not quite up to par but not too bad. She was also dehydrated so they gave her fluids. They sent her home with pain meds and an appointment for Friday for more fluids and we see how things go from there. The vet said that this COULD be the start of kidney failure or she could just bounce back-hoping that the fact that it seem to come on suddenly, she is hoping that it will go just as suddenly.

When we got home, Electra started going up the stairs (and stopping every few feet or so). I helped her up the stairs and she is now camped out on her pad in the bathroom. But, she is walking better than she was yesterday.

Side note: While we were waiting for the results of the blood test, this woman came in holding two kittens-who were about 4-5 months old. I was just watching her (and the kittens in her arms) as she checked in thinking about telling her if she needed help holding them. I didn't have to ask. She just came over to me, and gave me one of the kittens and then gave Hubby the other one. She didn't even ask if we would hold them. She just handed them to us. They were SOOOO cute. We told her that we had 3 and she asked if we wanted 2 more. Hubby was quick to say NO! When the results came in, we handed the two back to the woman-well, Hubby needed help because his kitten had climbed up on his shoulder/back. Oh, the reason why she was holding them, she said that one peed in their bin and even though she tried to clean it, it still stank.

Cat

Old 11-07-2018, 02:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
So, when I went to put her into the bin to take her to the vet, she put up a FIGHT! (Good sign.) It was kind of funny because I held on to her front paws so she couldn't go spread eagle on me-but sure enough, the back paw was held out. I felt really bad because I could feel her heart pounding and that got me worried-but I got her in.

They did do blood work on her and found out that her kidneys are not quite up to par but not too bad. She was also dehydrated so they gave her fluids. They sent her home with pain meds and an appointment for Friday for more fluids and we see how things go from there. The vet said that this COULD be the start of kidney failure or she could just bounce back-hoping that the fact that it seem to come on suddenly, she is hoping that it will go just as suddenly.

When we got home, Electra started going up the stairs (and stopping every few feet or so). I helped her up the stairs and she is now camped out on her pad in the bathroom. But, she is walking better than she was yesterday.

Side note: While we were waiting for the results of the blood test, this woman came in holding two kittens-who were about 4-5 months old. I was just watching her (and the kittens in her arms) as she checked in thinking about telling her if she needed help holding them. I didn't have to ask. She just came over to me, and gave me one of the kittens and then gave Hubby the other one. She didn't even ask if we would hold them. She just handed them to us. They were SOOOO cute. We told her that we had 3 and she asked if we wanted 2 more. Hubby was quick to say NO! When the results came in, we handed the two back to the woman-well, Hubby needed help because his kitten had climbed up on his shoulder/back. Oh, the reason why she was holding them, she said that one peed in their bin and even though she tried to clean it, it still stank.

Cat

So glad you had a good appointment with Electra; and hope she rallies.

As for the 2 cute kittens, all I can say is 'ut oh' and 'duhh'. Doubtful those people with keep the kittens (imo).

Old 11-07-2018, 02:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I'm very glad they did some blood work. Our Benny (18) gets blood work quite often these days, every 2-4 months, because of his health conditions (hyperthyroid, kidney function). Blood work can tell you quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats