U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628

Advertisements

Well, darn it. After 8 days of successful litter box use, yesterday DH found two messy poops in the living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,509 posts, read 14,553,110 times
Reputation: 9121
Stop the Miralax please; messy poops indicate on the 'cusp' of diarrhea. He was doing fine for about 5 days, using the box. He knows where he should 'go' when he gets the urge, but evidently couldn't help it.

Too much Miralax can interfere with his regular feelings of having to go, so he couldn't help himself. It IS a laxative and even with constipation, a kitty doesn't need more than about 1/8th of a tsp. So if the smallest tsp. you have is 1/4, do not fill it up. Maybe the litter box needed to be scooped? To be sure, at least 3 times a day should make him/her a happy kitty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Stop the Miralax please; messy poops indicate on the 'cusp' of diarrhea. He was doing fine for about 5 days, using the box. He knows where he should 'go' when he gets the urge, but evidently couldn't help it.

Too much Miralax can interfere with his regular feelings of having to go, so he couldn't help himself. It IS a laxative and even with constipation, a kitty doesn't need more than about 1/8th of a tsp. So if the smallest tsp. you have is 1/4, do not fill it up. Maybe the litter box needed to be scooped? To be sure, at least 3 times a day should make him/her a happy kitty.
I use maybe a pinch of Miralax, nowhere near an 1/8 t. If I use no Miralax, his stools are hard and large, and he scoots his bum around the house. I realize aging kidneys will cause harder stools. It's a fine line, I realize.

Boxes are scooped regularly, at least twice per day and washed regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,012 posts, read 6,927,786 times
Reputation: 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
If you want a larger litter box and don't want to spend a lot get a cement mixing pan at HD or Lowes. They are the same general shape and about 2 or 3 times as big as regular litter boxes. You can cut a small gap on one end to ease access and there is still plenty of room for them to do their business. I have one and the cats use it more than the smaller ones.
We have a Sterilite storage box, maybe 5" high walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Oh, he has been pooping (in the litter box). When I say five days, I meant five days since he has pooped outside of the box.
GOOD! Maybe he's been reading C-D and has taken the hints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,509 posts, read 14,553,110 times
Reputation: 9121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I use maybe a pinch of Miralax, nowhere near an 1/8 t. If I use no Miralax, his stools are hard and large, and he scoots his bum around the house. I realize aging kidneys will cause harder stools. It's a fine line, I realize.

Boxes are scooped regularly, at least twice per day and washed regularly.



If he had a mess in the living room as you mentioned before, and you don't want to stop the Miralax totally, at least slow it down to maybe every other day.


Otherwise, have you talked to the vet about this ? He/she may have better suggestions, every kitty is different. Older kitties have various issues, your vet is the best source if he has kidney issues. Is he drinking water ? in decent amounts ? Maybe mix some water in w/his food. Nevertheless, hope he can settle into a better potty routine, and not just an age thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If he had a mess in the living room as you mentioned before, and you don't want to stop the Miralax totally, at least slow it down to maybe every other day.


Otherwise, have you talked to the vet about this ? He/she may have better suggestions, every kitty is different. Older kitties have various issues, your vet is the best source if he has kidney issues. Is he drinking water ? in decent amounts ? Maybe mix some water in w/his food. Nevertheless, hope he can settle into a better potty routine, and not just an age thing.
Please see my initial post.

Yes, I've talked to the vet about this several times. We've checked his anal glands, felt his intestines for hardness/etc. He is taking both Adequan and Gapapentin (for his joints) and also on tazapole for hyperthyroidism.

He gets blood work done ever 8-12 weeks now. Nothing unusual has appeared thus far.

He gets wet food and drinks a lot too (I know--it's his age, but his kidney values are not terrible given his advanced age).

I've asked more knowledgeable friends and done absolutely everything I can think of. Please note: I am not complaining. I know super senior pets will have issues, and I'm ok with that. We will care for him as long as he's comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,509 posts, read 14,553,110 times
Reputation: 9121
Can you put another litter box in the room where he's having that problem, living room ? I know it's not the best suggestion, but you could get a large cardboard box, paint the outside of it, leave the front of it open, put a litter box inside of it and show it to him etc.


I saw and replied to your first post, and understand what you're going through -- suggesting to lessen the Miralax. I still believe you can get by with the amount you were giving every day, but give it every other day or two. It could build up in his system, we aren't vets.

Maybe someone can come up with better suggestions, but believe me, I empathize with your problem. He could have a senile issue at his age. Gotta' feel bad for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Mesa AZ
199 posts, read 61,600 times
Reputation: 683
I hope you are giving him good clean water, most tap water is pretty nasty and then they add toxic things like fluoride which does not evaporate like chlorine does with time. Chlorine is obviously needed for safety but its good to avoid it when you can.
It is worth buying the high end wet food if possible. I have bought better food for my animals as I have learned to eat better myself. They eat a lot less of the high quality food and the litter box is MUCH less stinky when they drop a bomb. Same thing with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,827 posts, read 703,479 times
Reputation: 3228
Maybe Benny is getting a little senile. I had a cat that lived to almost 18. Her last year she seemed to be confused sometimes, not all the time. It was just little things. Would meow to go in closet, which she normally didn't like to go in then stare in closet confused. I think she thought it was the bedroom door she usually liked to sleep in. Her cat box was moved to a different spot in house years before because we finished off a room in basement 4 year prior and moved it to laundry room and she occasionally went potty in finished room where her box used to be her last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Can you put another litter box in the room where he's having that problem, living room ? I know it's not the best suggestion, but you could get a large cardboard box, paint the outside of it, leave the front of it open, put a litter box inside of it and show it to him etc.


I saw and replied to your first post, and understand what you're going through -- suggesting to lessen the Miralax. I still believe you can get by with the amount you were giving every day, but give it every other day or two. It could build up in his system, we aren't vets.

Maybe someone can come up with better suggestions, but believe me, I empathize with your problem. He could have a senile issue at his age. Gotta' feel bad for him.

Yes, I am backing off the Miralax. Will try every third day and see what happens.

I have added boxes but he ignores them and then finds a "new" place to go.

To you and Izzie--yes, he may be getting senile and I am not mad about that. My husband gets very mad (he tends to find or step in the poops, LOL), but I know it's not his fault, clean it up, and move on. He is otherwise a sweet boy who just wants to be loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top