U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times

Advertisements

Another update: I've backed off on the Miralax to a tiny amount every other day. This morning I found two (normally formed) stools in different places. Sigh.

I do think he is getting a bit senile. Yesterday I couldn't find him and needed to give him his medication. I found him upstairs drinking from the water bowl (we have several downstairs, so no idea why he went so far for water). I called his name and he just stood there blankly. After a few seconds, he seemed to snap out of it, grr-ing in his usual way and coming toward me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 PM

1,827 posts, read 703,479 times
Oh poor baby. I saw or read that if your cat is (suppose dog too) is maybe getting senile to try and make their living areas smaller, make their world smaller and less confusing. Confine to one or two rooms where you spend the most time. It may make it less confusing for her to deal with than a larger living area. But I'm sure it really depends on each individual cat.

Does he sleep with you in a upstairs room but spend the day mostly in lower level? Poop happen during day but not night. Maybe just confine during the day in a few rooms and if ok at night not confine.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 11-19-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post

Does he sleep with you in a upstairs room but spend the day mostly in lower level? Poop happen during day but not night. Maybe just confine during the day in a few rooms and if ok at night not confine.
The poops happen at different times--from what we can tell, often in the wee morning hours (between 4 and 6 am) or mid morning (between 8-10). My husband works from home most days, and I get up at 6 for work, and we have found surprises.

When I leave for work I shut him in our office (mainly because he is a slow eater and the other cats would take his food), so he is contained for a couple of hours each day.

At night he sleeps most of the night next to me, but he usually pees in the early morning hours so he leaves.

We are leaving for a couple of days and using our regular pet sitter (we've used her for a few years now). I explained the situation to her when she got the keys last night and will leave out enzymatic cleaner and rags just in case.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

UPDATE: The pooping situation continues. We'll usually go 2-3 days poop free, then we find poop somewhere in the house. I've been able to watch him poop a few times (in the litter box) and it seems that he is just unable to hold the squatting pose long enough.

Benny had a vet visit a few days ago (follow up blood work, etc). I discussed the poop problem with the vet, and oddly, she is dealing with a similar situation at her house with her elderly cat. The only solution she could suggest was putting a carpet scrap in a low-sided box, to maybe encourage him to poop there. (I have concerns that doing that would encourage the other cats to start pooping on the carpet.) Otherwise, there is nothing to be done. We continue to scoop all boxes twice daily and keep the litter box area as clean as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or