U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-09-2018, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone can chime in with suggestions. Benny is 18 and goes to the vet every 8 weeks because of his age and other health issues. He randomly poops outside of the box, maybe every third day or so. Nothing has changed with the boxes (we have four in the house, same litter). All are scooped twice daily. He pees in the box regularly.

Things we've tried:

Having the vet check his colon/express anal glands
Adding different sizes/heights of litter boxes
Putting down puppy pee pads (won't use)
Adding miralax to his food (so his stools aren't hard/difficult to pass)
Adding water to his food

I am guessing he has sore joints and it's just harder for him to poop in the box. He takes gabapentin (low dose) for pain (again, prescribed by vet)

Blood work was done a few weeks ago and, for his age, is decent.

Thoughts? My husband is quite upset at this, but outside of blocking access to parts of the house, I don't have any answers.

Rene
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,509 posts, read 14,553,110 times
Reputation: 9121
Would a larger box be better ? more room for him to 'squat' maybe ? Maybe he has arthritis and needs more room.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 PM
 
17 posts, read 3,063 times
Reputation: 33
Where are the litter box located?

Does he have trouble getting into them?

As what QuilterChick has said, try getting a larger litter box

You might wanna check this article out as it has useful info - https://catloverhere.com/2018/07/28/...-on-the-floor/

Hope this helps!

All the best
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,827 posts, read 703,479 times
Reputation: 3228
Does he bury his pee? Maybe he feels it's too much too bury poop. Maybe line a litter box with newspaper put one of the wrongly placed poops in it. It's worth a try if you think arthritis is a problem. Who knows, I don't get them either sometimes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Mesa AZ
199 posts, read 61,600 times
Reputation: 683
If you want a larger litter box and don't want to spend a lot get a cement mixing pan at HD or Lowes. They are the same general shape and about 2 or 3 times as big as regular litter boxes. You can cut a small gap on one end to ease access and there is still plenty of room for them to do their business. I have one and the cats use it more than the smaller ones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Our litter boxes are large--they are Sterilite containers with an entrance cut into them. We have one box in the basement, two on the main floor, and one on the second floor (near-ish where he sleeps most the day).

He uses the box to pee (does not cover pee or poop). I have tried adding low-sided cardboard trays (like for cases of cat food) but he won't use them. In fact, the other cats find them "fun" to play with.

He does not seem to have trouble getting into the box, and as you might guess, I watch him all of the time.

Of course, now that I posted this, he hasn't pooped anywhere in 5 days. LOL To me, this isn't a huge deal because of his age. He has a vet appointment in a few weeks and I'll bring it up (again) and have the vet check his bum area just in case. I want him to be as comfortable as possible at his age.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 01:34 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,064 posts, read 5,425,304 times
Reputation: 17495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Our litter boxes are large--they are Sterilite containers with an entrance cut into them. We have one box in the basement, two on the main floor, and one on the second floor (near-ish where he sleeps most the day).

He uses the box to pee (does not cover pee or poop). I have tried adding low-sided cardboard trays (like for cases of cat food) but he won't use them. In fact, the other cats find them "fun" to play with.

He does not seem to have trouble getting into the box, and as you might guess, I watch him all of the time.

Of course, now that I posted this, he hasn't pooped anywhere in 5 days. LOL To me, this isn't a huge deal because of his age. He has a vet appointment in a few weeks and I'll bring it up (again) and have the vet check his bum area just in case. I want him to be as comfortable as possible at his age.
Five days? Are you sure? Doesn't sound good IMO. Is he eating normally?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Five days? Are you sure? Doesn't sound good IMO. Is he eating normally?
Oh, he has been pooping (in the litter box). When I say five days, I meant five days since he has pooped outside of the box.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 01:54 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,064 posts, read 5,425,304 times
Reputation: 17495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Oh, he has been pooping (in the litter box). When I say five days, I meant five days since he has pooped outside of the box.
Ok.... glad I just misunderstood.

Forgive me, but I'm not at my best. There's snow in my yard & it's Monday, so I've got 2 strikes against me today.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,172 posts, read 1,895,583 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Ok.... glad I just misunderstood.

Forgive me, but I'm not at my best. There's snow in my yard & it's Monday, so I've got 2 strikes against me today.
LOL, I re-read what I posted and I wasn't that clear about the pooping.

He is quite the private pooper, so I rarely see him go, but I did get to watch him poop in the box a few days ago. I didn't notice anything problematic.

I've been adding a smidge of Miralax in his morning canned food. Here's hoping it is keeping things in check.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top