Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

My sweet little 14 year old orange tabby has started to slide lately. For awhile it wasn't really that noticeable, he lost a little bit of weight (he was overweight to start) but in the last week, he doesn't want to eat; or at east he tries but it seems a struggle so he eats hardly anything. I took him to our vet who ran blood work and checked his vitals and didn't come up with anything other than slightly elevated amylase (pancreas) Corky does have chronic diarrhea which I have never been able to cure. But he was always an extremely happy and playful little cat, played just like a kitten a ball of energy up until a couple months ago. No glucose or kidney issues.

Our vet says without a lot of very expensive and intrusive testing it is hard to come up with a definite diagnosis - he thinks either IBD or lymphoma. I don't know if it could be anything else. He acts like he wants to eat, but it seems a chore for him. And he has gotten very picky about what he eats IF he eats at all. The vet gave him a steroid shot to see if it would help, it seemed to perk up his spirits a bit but didn't really help him eat more. He is due to go back next week for a follow-up, and wonder if anyone has thoughts or experience or advice. I am devastated; I just got out of the hospital myself with a very serious blood clot and I really don't want to lose my little man just yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 03:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
What's his diet?
Quote:
He acts like he wants to eat, but it seems a chore for him. And he has gotten very picky about what he eats IF he eats at all
. This is a classic symptom of nausea.Didn't the vet give him anything for nausea? Ask for Cerenia. I bet you'll see a difference.
I am assuming the vet checked his mouth?
Quote:
Our vet says without a lot of very expensive and intrusive testing it is hard to come up with a definite diagnosis - he thinks either IBD or lymphoma.
Yeah, even with an ultrasound, there is no way to know of the thickening in the intestines is IBD or lymphoma. You'd have to do a biopsy. I wouldn't, myself.

I don't know how much you want to pursue, but the Raw Feeding for IBD group (closed FB group) has a lot of experience with exactly these things.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My sweet little 14 year old orange tabby has started to slide lately. For awhile it wasn't really that noticeable, he lost a little bit of weight (he was overweight to start) but in the last week, he doesn't want to eat; or at east he tries but it seems a struggle so he eats hardly anything. I took him to our vet who ran blood work and checked his vitals and didn't come up with anything other than slightly elevated amylase (pancreas) Corky does have chronic diarrhea which I have never been able to cure. But he was always an extremely happy and playful little cat, played just like a kitten a ball of energy up until a couple months ago. No glucose or kidney issues.

Our vet says without a lot of very expensive and intrusive testing it is hard to come up with a definite diagnosis - he thinks either IBD or lymphoma. I don't know if it could be anything else. He acts like he wants to eat, but it seems a chore for him. And he has gotten very picky about what he eats IF he eats at all. The vet gave him a steroid shot to see if it would help, it seemed to perk up his spirits a bit but didn't really help him eat more. He is due to go back next week for a follow-up, and wonder if anyone has thoughts or experience or advice. I am devastated; I just got out of the hospital myself with a very serious blood clot and I really don't want to lose my little man just yet!
Can you get a 2nd opinion for more peace of mind ? get a copy of his recent records from your vet and take them with you IF you need them. Not all vets are created equal, just like people docs. Best wishes to you and your precious Corky. He's worth it.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
No one is ever ready to lose their long-time companion. My girl also lost weight and started to slide this year, age 13. I got a second opinion and a new vet and she's on meds, eating well, grooming like she has a hot date, and generally hanging in there. She's not a kitten any more, and won't be again, but she's still here and every minute together is a gift.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
My understanding is that the treatment (there is no cure) for either IBD or cancer is a daily low dose of steroids. Is has a side effect of increasing appetite too. ITA with cats mom in saying that switching to an all wet or even raw diet is a good idea too.

I also have to say that a second opinion can't hurt, especially since your vet didn't seem to suggest a treatment.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:51 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Thanks everyone. I guess I should make it clear that my vet respected my wishes to not do a lot of expensive and invasive diagnostics. He did check his mouth, did bloodwork, took temperature and all that. He did give Corky a steroid shot, and suggested that steroids and probiotics and changing diet might help. I don't need a second opinion, he is a wonderful vet and literally brought my other "oldster" back from the dead a year and a half ago, so I highly respect him.

I am happy to say that Corky seems better, the shot perked him up. I bought him some different food and he did start eating again. At his age I guess I can expect him to start slowing down, and whatever he has will progress. But I am happy to have him for now. He will go back next week for a checkup.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Glad to know that your fur face is perking up a little. I also have an elderly cat - mine with kidney issues. Some days she's doing fine and other days not so much.

I'm glad for every day that I still get to spend with my old gal. Sending Corky and you my best wishes!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks everyone. I guess I should make it clear that my vet respected my wishes to not do a lot of expensive and invasive diagnostics. He did check his mouth, did bloodwork, took temperature and all that. He did give Corky a steroid shot, and suggested that steroids and probiotics and changing diet might help. I don't need a second opinion, he is a wonderful vet and literally brought my other "oldster" back from the dead a year and a half ago, so I highly respect him.

I am happy to say that Corky seems better, the shot perked him up. I bought him some different food and he did start eating again. At his age I guess I can expect him to start slowing down, and whatever he has will progress. But I am happy to have him for now. He will go back next week for a checkup.
Steroids have that effect, but they wear off, so be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats