Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

My boy cat will be 14 in April. He weighed nearly 16 pounds until November. He has lost four pounds since, and no one knows why. It is not kidney disease, thyroid, lymphoma, IBD, pancreatitis or a heart or respiratory condition. We've done two rounds of blood tests, an echocardiogram, x-rays, and an abdominal scan. I've spent over $1500 trying to figure it out. Everything comes out normal.

The vet gave him an appetite stimulant last week, and he's been eating like a horse, but he does not appear to be gaining any weight back.

He does not seem to be in pain, and he's not hiding or acting as if he's sick. He is not vomiting, he's pooping and peeing normally.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Wow. This sounds crazy! Did the vet prescribe an appetite stimulant to increase his calorie intake, or had he not been eating as much before?

Maybe this sounds silly, but have you had his stool checked for parasites? This could cause weight loss. I've heard about stories that even indoor cats can get parasites. Worth a try at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 02:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Wow. This sounds crazy! Did the vet prescribe an appetite stimulant to increase his calorie intake, or had he not been eating as much before?

Maybe this sounds silly, but have you had his stool checked for parasites? This could cause weight loss. I've heard about stories that even indoor cats can get parasites. Worth a try at this point.

My first thought too. Perhaps a tapeworm ? But surely your vet would have checked for that early on.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:48 PM

You know, I don't think we did a stool sample. That would seem obvious, though.

I am going to collect one and bring it in.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I, too, can't believe the vet wouldn't have checked for a tapeworm.. but definitely bring in that stool sample.

When my black cat had worms, you could easily see what looked like grains of rice hanging around on the fur near his behind. (it's little pieces of the worm - ewwww!)

Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I, too, can't believe the vet wouldn't have checked for a tapeworm.. but definitely bring in that stool sample.

When my black cat had worms, you could easily see what looked like grains of rice hanging around on the fur near his behind. (it's little pieces of the worm - ewwww!)
Yep, that's a tapeworm alright. My cats have had one on occasion but didn't present the weight loss the OP described. I've heard that's possible though if the tapeworm is bad/big enough. The OP's cat could have another type of worm/parasite going on too. I suspect that the vet in question likes to default to the more expensive tests first, then go from there.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Until I read the OP more carefully, I was thinking diabetes. But that would involve not just weight loss, but also drinking and peeing constantly. Just sayin', don't let your cat get or be fat, they will become diabetic, never mind how I know this.

If anyone ends up with a diabetic cat, DM me, I have managed one before, it's not all that hard, if you know what you are doing.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
This happened to my cat. It was worms

Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 PM

294 posts, read 180,425 times
Maybe he has hairball? I read once they can cause that food / calories are not getting absorbed properly. Maybe feed him lots of hairball treats (max dose or even more) for a few days and see what happens. Our sick cat lost also weight (lymohoma). I started feeding him as many treats as he wanted in the hope of fattening him up (with Hills A/D and kibble and baby food). After a few days of treats he threw up three gigantic hairballs (dofferent days). For him it doesn’t solve the weight loss problem as he has an actual illness, but I was still amazed that he has so many hair in his stomach.

Hope he feels better soon and adds some weight.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Until I read the OP more carefully, I was thinking diabetes. But that would involve not just weight loss, but also drinking and peeing constantly. Just sayin', don't let your cat get or be fat, they will become diabetic, never mind how I know this.

If anyone ends up with a diabetic cat, DM me, I have managed one before, it's not all that hard, if you know what you are doing.
No, he was checked for diabetes. Blood sugar's OK. I've had cats with kidney disease, with IBD, with hyperthyroid. Both the vet and me were sure his thyroid levels would come back whacky, but no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats