Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Hi everyone. I’m new to Florida - a couple of months in. When I first moved in to my rental, the sweetest stray cat came wandering up to me. I gave him food and water, and so, the cycle has continued for months. He’s such a great cat - but I plan on relocating soon. I can’t commit to a third one as much as I would love to..I’ve tried to find someone to adopt him at work, but no luck!

I am a long time foster and volunteer for the animal rescue league back home - and would rescue strays and find them homes, and was hoping to find a similar situation here. However, I’ve tried calling a few shelters and was immediately shot down. The only ‘helpful’ advice I received was to contact animal control - but was warned outright he may or may not be euthanized.

Any advice on no-kill, open door animal shelters, in Fort Lauderdale / up to Deerfield Beach area that I could speak with? I’m happy to foster myself and try to find him a home - I just can’t afford the initial cost in vet checks, grooming, getting him fixed if he isn’t already, etc.

I spoke to a neighbor and it turns out he used to belong to a neighbor several years ago - owner died - family sold the house - left the cat behind for years. He’s the SWEETEST guy, presumably a bit up there in age.

He was fairly skinny when I first met him - now he’s got a belly and sleeps on my back porch. He desperately wants to come in the house and my cats are screaming. And I desperately want to help him..but have no connections or networks here for recommendations..

Just trying to do a good deed...Any friendly advice?
Try the Humane Society. I don't live in Broward but have used them in Central Florida as people seem to be dumping their cats out when they move. Here it cost $25 to surrender a cat. Where I live they only take them in on a certain day so make sure you call.
https://humanebroward.com/

I also know that the pound here will spay/neuter, shots etc. if you bring in a stray and no one claims him after the five days. They ask you if you are interested in getting him if the owner doesn't get it within the 5 days. You may want to call to get the details to make sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 6,027 times
Animal Aid in Oakland Park can maybe help with the vetting. There are about 80 rescue groups in South Florida. Petfinder.com has a list of them. Unfortunately Animal Control and the Broward County Humane Society are overloaded and will probably put him to sleep if you dropped him there. If you are willing to foster, most rescue groups will be happy to help you

Old 01-18-2019, 12:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
As an aside, Ink got in my lap for the first time last night. Less than a year. Too cute!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
He sure is a lucky little guy to have found you. It seems like shelters everywhere are overrun with cats and it's so hard to find a good home. Most of our pets were strays who were dumped or left behind when people moved and, though we tried, no one wanted them so they are here to stay.

I found a low-cost vet in Fort Lauderdale: Our low-cost spaying and neutering services make us a local favorite. We provide quality surgical services 7-days a week at a price that no one can beat. We are proud to provide surgical services for feral cat trappers. For more information on surgical services or to schedule an appointment for a spay or neuter, call our office today! Low Cost Cat Packages | Surgery | Spay | Vaccinations | Neutering

If you talk to them, maybe they would offer a low cost health check and even some assistance placing this poor kitty?

And there's also the Broward County SNIP program. Since he was abandoned, he could qualify as a community cat. Residents and caregivers of unowned feral and community cats can apply and receive a voucher in order to get feral/community cats spayed/neutered. To receive a TNR sterilization voucher, please access our WebPortal to begin the application process.https://www.broward.org/Animal/Progr...d-Pet-Fix.aspx

Good luck with helping him and please keep us posted!!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 PM

190 posts, read 202,106 times
I visit my Mom and sisters in the West Palm Beach area and there are lots of stray and feral cats. I am pretty sure that the Peggy Adams animal shelter is a non kill shelter, located in West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats