Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times

Advertisements

We have a group of eight regular stray or neighborhood cats who come by for chow a couple of times a day.

Last winter we opened up our 14 x 20 shed to give them shelter in the winter. We left one door open for access. The doors are about 40" x 72".

Currently we've placed five styrofoam boxes, about 30 x 24 x 24, in the shed for warmer sleeping quarters. Some have one entrance, some have two (which I cut as escapes should predators show up). We bought these at the spay/neuter clinic nearby.

Or something along these lines:
https://www.alleycat.org/resources/f...tions-gallery/

But temps are supposed to get down to -10 or lower next week. We were thinking either heated pads in or under the styrofoam shelters, or a cat house or two.

One idea we've had is cut cat doors in both the shed doors and close the second door that's currently open. That will keep the most bitter weather out, and block all the wind.
I hate to spring a new concept on them with severe weather pending, though.

Has anyone had experience with cats in such extreme temperatures? Any recommendations or ways you've helped outside cats will be most appreciated. These are not ferals, but four of them seem to live in our bunk house (shed) now. Thanks a zillion, and the kitties thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Yup...those $50 pet heat pads...in a styrofoam box, over turned...with a table over it as a roof against rain and snow..
heaven fore them...I have 2...saves them...one cat used to never come out...why, when it was so nice!
Not too much bedding material because they like to feel the heat directly in such cold....it's just warm not hot.
Also, a heated water bowl...$30...a must in Winter.

I buy cashmere sweaters from Goodwill for under $5...they are nice for additional warmth in there...
compare that to some cotton towel or tee shirt to curl up around.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yup...those $50 pet heat pads...in a styrofoam box, over turned...with a table over it as a roof against rain and snow..
heaven fore them...I have 2...saves them...one cat used to never come out...why, when it was so nice!
Not too much bedding material because they like to feel the heat directly in such cold....it's just warm not hot.
Also, a heated water bowl...$30...a must in Winter.

I buy cashmere sweaters from Goodwill for under $5...they are nice for additional warmth in there...
compare that to some cotton towel or tee shirt to curl up around.
Thanks Miss Hepburn. The styrofoam boxes have tight-fitting lids, and they're inside the shed so they're already shielded from weather. And we have a nice shiny heated water dish, we put that out a couple of years ago because the squirrels were looking for water. And now the cats have one. They're not hunters BTW.

Sweaters are a great idea.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

One idea we've had is cut cat doors in both the shed doors and close the second door that's currently open. That will keep the most bitter weather out, and block all the wind.
I hate to spring a new concept on them with severe weather pending, though.

Has anyone had experience with cats in such extreme temperatures? Any recommendations or ways you've helped outside cats will be most appreciated. These are not ferals, but four of them seem to live in our bunk house (shed) now. Thanks a zillion, and the kitties thank you.
I would make your cat doors as small as possible in order to keep raccoons out. Raccoons carry diseases and parasites that can be easily passed on to cats (as well as to humans in some cases) and should not be encouraged to hang around.

I wouldn't worry about springing a new concept on the cats. They're cats; they'll figure it out.

My sister had/has good luck with heated cat beds.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-24-2019 at 08:53 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I would make your cat doors as small as possible in order to keep raccoons out. Raccoons carry diseases and parasites that can be easily passed on to cats (as well as to humans in some cases) and should not be encouraged to hang around.

I wouldn't worry about springing a new concept on the cats. They're cats; they'll figure it out.

My sister had/has good luck with heated cat beds.
Thanks, Metlakatla.

They doors are 7" circles, as installed by Humane Ohio. I know all about raccoons, they're dirty and make dirty water. I drive them off whenever I spot them, and fortunately that hasn't been for many weeks now.

Yes, they're cats.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I have used old electric blankets with good results...do you have electricity in the area?? Set on low, they work great.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM

OK, an update.

We ordered and received five cat heating pads, they draw 4 watts each and have no auto shutoff. We put one in each styrofoam bunkhouse with a light piece of cloth over them.

We think we have five tenants: Mom, Pop, two kids, and another mature male. Pots, Taurus, TJ, Curly, and White Dot.

What's not working is feeding them. We had high winds and cold cold temperatures for the last three days, and the wind and our crunching on the snice (snow and ice combo) at 0 degrees or so, has them all spooked.

When they'd normally let us pet them (except the girls) they all skitter off when we approach. Perhaps traumatized by the quick freeze, plus nobody thinks straight when they're too cold. Cats included I presume.

So our normal feeding routines were not working. They'd leave 90% of the wet food on the plates. They were eating crunchies. They have water. They do drink evaporated milk, but again they have to get there fast because everything freezes in 15 minutes.

This morning we put part of a black moving blanket on the back walk and put down a half can of the inside cats' food. This was a success, pop and the kids came out and ate and had a little milk.

They just showed up again about 1/2 hour ago and we repeated. They ate about 1 1/2 4.5 oz cans, that's progress. Pots and White Dot have yet to appear, we presume they're in hibernation mode in their heated homes.

Tomorrow it's supposed to get nice and warm, about 18 according to my Never-Wrong Weather Channel app.

Then 42 on Saturday and if everyone comes out of this I'll be most grateful.

Oh yeah, the raccoons. Our backyard wildlife is slightly weird. The squirrels, the cats, the raccoons all tolerate each other with little aggression. The cats are stalkers but not hunters. Some will stalk and chase squirrels, but once they catch up to them they don't know what to do.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
All things considered, it sounds like you're doing the best you can for them, and it's working. You are, no doubt, making a huge difference... perhaps even saving their lives. I hope you all continue to weather this cold spell ok, and less you for going the extra mile for your outside kitties. Lots of good karma coming your way.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Raccoons don't have to be aggressive to cause harm to cats and other animals. Here's what can happen:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-party/581443/

Quote:
Raccoon disease in cats is termed, Baylisacaris procyonis, and is a lethal intestinal nematode. Contraction of raccoon disease will cause severe ocular and neurological signs to those infected, as the larvae migrate from the small intestine. Although infectious to cats, dogs, birds and humans, the Baylisacaris roundworm causes no aliments to the adult raccoon species. Select mammals can become infected with raccoon disease by direct contact or ingestion of the Baylisacaris eggs. Nematode eggs are shed into the environment through the fecal matter of an infected raccoon to be passed to a permanent or intermediate host such as a bird or rodent. Infestation of Baylisacaris procyonis in cats is rare, but often fatal.
Raccoons are not allowed on my property under any circumstances. They are wild animals that have ample food and shelter sources in my area.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM

UPDATE: We knew the weather broke yesterday when the herd showed up at their usual time in their usual places. Seven our of eight showed up for dinner last night, including MIA-Panther and his brother BoP. Also the cute cute Hoppie guy showed up and let me pet him, as did the Panther Boys. Everybody made it!

Taurus Junior hasn't been around lately, as a young male he's perhaps scouting new territory and looking for girls. Time for snip shop I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Raccoons don't have to be aggressive to cause harm to cats and other animals. Here's what can happen:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-party/581443/

Raccoons are not allowed on my property under any circumstances. They are wild animals that have ample food and shelter sources in my area.
That link goes to a Howard Schultz article. Here's another: https://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/20...dworm-in-cats/

We have a heated water dish out, I know the raccoons use it because they are dirty and the water's dirty after they've done their thing.

I chase them when I see them. When they hear the door open they vamoose.

We've discussed hiring a trapper to relocate them 20 miles west, but more will come.

Wonder if there's anything we can put in the water bowl to decontaminate it.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 02-03-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats