U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:09 PM

27 posts, read 16,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am fostering a 9-month-old kitty who came from a feral colony but is most definitely NOT feral so I am deciding to adopt him! His name is Mica and he is awesome!!

I have been feeding a raw food diet to my dogs for about 10 years but, when I tried to transition my older cat, T'ai (RIP, my beautiful boy) I failed completely. He would projectile vomit if I added even a half teaspoon of raw juice/blood to his wet food!!

Mica, on the other hand, has taken to raw chicken beautifully. Potentially, though people feed the feral colony with kibble, he had been hunting and eating mice and birds etc. I have not let him outside yet and will not until he is fully grown (if ever - it depends on how he adjusts to indoor-only life. That will be a whole 'nother thread!)

Anywho, I am ready to commit and do the research. I was looking for the most active raw cat fed forum to join.

1. Best forum or FB group to join for raw fed cats?
2. I also treat my dogs as holistically and naturally as possible and I do not over-vaccinate. I prefer to use Dr. Jean Dodds vaccination protocol for dogs so I will do the same for Mica so I would prefer a forum or FB group that not only feeds raw but is overall an alternative site.

ps: Mica is eating chicken and bone that I cut up into fingernail size chunks. I have a bunch of chicken backs for my dogs but they are awesome for Mica bc the ribs are so small and thin! He has eaten ground veal and dehydrated liver, cheese, and the same jerky treats I give my dogs for breakfast. I have also given him a frozen commercial raw cat food that comes in hockey puck shapes and contains meat/bone/offal plus veggies. He does not like that stuff as much as the raw meat but at least I know it has taurine. I am still super confused about why you need to supplement a cat's diet but I am willing to do whatever the best practices call for!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,328,408 times
I feed raw to our cats and dogs.

In MY experience... half the world says to supplement because you don't know what nutrients are lost when freezing and/or grinding. The other half says as long as one feeds 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (of which 5% is liver).. no need for supplements.

Just to be safe, I do both. I prepare meals in advance and freeze. Half are supplemented and half are not. I use the supplement Alnutrin from Know What You Feed - A Guide To A Balanced Homemade Cat Food.

I feed the cats strictly meat, bone, and organ. No fruits or veggies. Cats are strict obligate carnivores.

CONGRATS on the new family member! Love the name Mica.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
Yep

Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM

960 posts, read 457,916 times
I have been raw feeding my 2 cats for almost 12 years now (started when they were kittens). I did a lot of research at first, but had been feeding my dogs raw for about 5 years before that.

There is always something to learn, and I will sometimes look up YouTube videos now for the heck of it. Lola4 and catsmom21 always have good advice and links.

Occasionally I have fed ground premade (every few months maybe) but usually I will feed a chicken drumstick one day with a piece of liver. Then I feed meat (with no bone) for a few days, including organ meat. They get through about 75% of the drumstick bone.

When I feed meat without bone I give big chunks so they have to work on it. Iíve always done it this way though, so they are used to it.

Supplements sometimes.... always fish oil, and lots of heart (high in taurine). I have fed eggs, beef, pork, turkey, all types of fish, alpaca, goat, lamb, oysters, mussels, and some canned fish. Mine donít get veggies either, but I will mix some dried alfalfa in on occasion.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Wow - a chicken bone? I wonder how he'd handle it lol That is a great variety of meats - I hope I can do half as well. I bought him freeze-dried minnows today so he will get some fish!

So any good FB groups or forums where I can get really specific advice? I am winging it but he is a kitten and I want to do right by him. I haven't done one bit of research.

Any suggested websites?

which YouTube channels? I have never seen videos on raw feeding! I belong to a few raw fed dog forums. I guess I can check there, too.

Thanks!

ps: this forum does not give me notifications when I get replies - any idea how to change that?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:39 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,904,675 times
There are some raw feeding groups on Facebook. One is called Raw Fed Cats. There's another one that includes dogs but I can't recall the name.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks - I joined both Raw Fed Cats groups on FB. Useless.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 PM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFonte View Post
Thanks - I joined both Raw Fed Cats groups on FB. Useless.

There are many more than two.

Join Raw Feeding for IBD They have a "sister" group that is for all raw feeding, not just cats, I forget the name of it, I am a member but don't visit much.

Here's the website for the IBD group. You can access their FB page from there

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM

Crazy - I can not find a single forum or FB group! Still searching. Also, looking for alternative/holistic medicine cat sites if anyone knows of any.

I adopted Mica and he is eating everything - today he wanted to nibble on mustard greens, he eats all of the dog's treats and ate some gluten-free bread. He is weird. He also has (I think) something going on with his back molar. His breath is terrible and that is wrong for a kitten.

The vert and I both thought his teeth looked awesome but I finally looked way back in his mouth and saw that the gumline of his back top molar is bright red - unlike the rest of his gumline. Last night, he vomited bile with tiny flecks of blood so something is off.

He eats chicken and chicken wings like a champ. Tomorrow I try chicken feet.

I realized the reason I want support in feeding him is bc he is an obligate carnivore as opposed to my dogs who are opportunistic carnivorous scavengers. Being classified as scavengers means I can literally feed them trash and they can handle it (I do not feed them trash but do feed 10% of their diet food scraps from my fridge) but kitty is not so.

Do your cats eat anything - bread, veggies, crackers, etc. He wants everything!

Thanks for your input!

Peace, Maria B

Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 AM

1,060 posts, read 567,706 times
You are welcome to stay here and discuss raw feeding and alt/holistic cat care right here on C-D. There are people here who practice these and/or have an interest in these topics.

I have fed raw in the past but do not currently. When I did I was afraid to feed raw chicken bones due to the possibility of them splintering. Instead I cooked them in a pressure cooker so they became soft and crumbly, and were much easier to eat (I also got quarts of wonderful chicken stock).

Every cat I have ever owned liked different foods (except my current kitty who I adopted when she was 8 years old). I've had cats that loved cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, corn, peas, green beans, broccoli, romaine lettuce.

Yes, a kitten (or any cat) shouldn't be having bad breath and red gums, or vomiting bile with blood. I'd take him back to the vet ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or