Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 03:31 PM

747 posts, read 579,586 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old cat that has never eaten much. He weighs about 6.8-7.0 pounds and my vet said that is okay. But I wonder.
Do any of you have a cat that weighs under 7.0? My scale is not perfect. I have tried all flavors of wet can food, mostly Friskies. He barely eats dry food. I also tried warming the food first. He is quite petite.
One day he will eat, the next day he walks away from the same food. I really don't know what else to do, except get blood tests done. He looks normal, acts normal, mostly sleeps and lays around.. He is the only cat, no other pets. (My previous cats loved to eat anything.) He had anti biotics a few months ago. Then there is miritzpine? to stimulate appetite--a vet prescription.
A sweet cat overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 04:08 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
I have a 7 pound cat. It is her normal healthy weight, she's very light boned. She eats a raw diet.

10 years ago I lost another tiny cat at age 17, her healthy weight was also 7 pounds. She ate a canned diet.

It may be that this is a normal weight for your cat, but of course he needs to eat enough to maintain that weight.

Canned food is best for him, so I would't bother with dry food at all, but it may be you need to try some other brands. Fancy Feast classics (the pates) are often accepted by cats who don't like much else.

Would you be interested in feeding him a raw diet? Or even home cooked?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:05 PM

In addition to my comments in my first post, I have some other comments and questions on the info you have given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
One day he will eat, the next day he walks away from the same food.

Cats like variety just like anyone else. Feed a rotation of brands and proteins to keep him interested.

Quote:
He looks normal, acts normal, mostly sleeps and lays around.

Lying around all the time doesn't sound normal to me for a 5 year old cat, my cats are very active. How often do you play with him? Do you have good sturdy scratching posts for him? What other cat furniture and toys and games does he have?

Quote:
He had anti biotics a few months ago.

What were the antibiotics for? What antibiotic was it? Did he have any trouble with it? (diarrhea/nausea?)

Quote:
Then there is miritzpine? to stimulate appetite--a vet prescription.

Unless he is very ill and his life is in danger, I would not be giving your cat appetite stimulants. They have risks and side effects and are not meant to be used casually.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 AM

747 posts, read 579,586 times
The vet gave him antibiotics because he had a temperature in October.
I tried giving him a variety of foods--he doesn't like much variety. Mostly turkey. He will eat my tuna and scraps and bones, nothing processed. He has always been like this. And lethargic, not into playing much. I wonder if Fancy Feast is really better--maybe owners just think it is because we're supposed to because of the name and image.

Anyone else have a cat like this?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
The vet gave him antibiotics because he had a temperature in October.
I tried giving him a variety of foods--he doesn't like much variety. Mostly turkey. He will eat my tuna and scraps and bones, nothing processed. He has always been like this. And lethargic, not into playing much. I wonder if Fancy Feast is really better--maybe owners just think it is because we're supposed to because of the name and image.

Anyone else have a cat like this?

I didn't say Fancy Feast is better. It isn't, it is about the same as Friskies, if you compare both with similar ingredients. I just offered it as a similar food, but different, as a change for your cat.

But what was the cause of the temperature? I think you need a different vet. Your cat does not sound healthy. You need some diagnostics done. Blood work, x ray, maybe an ultrasound. Lethargic is not normal.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 8,989 times
Are you sure that your cat is healthy??
My Lenny had a problem with appetite, but I didn't pay much attention to that. After that Lenny died.. Something with a stomach.
The vet said that it could have been treated if we noticed it sooner.
Don't repeat my mistakes! Be attentive to your pets!

Last edited by Zacubll; 02-26-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats