U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 AM

22,206 posts, read 4,682,679 times

Advertisements

Let's see...

One cat broke a vase my mother made and hand painted.
Another peed in the car.
One broke an expensive lamp by pushing it off the table with his paw.

Nothing major.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 PM

1,847 posts, read 710,853 times
Threw up in my open purse. She always looks for something to throw up on. Usually it's paperwork I'm working on that I've sat on the floor.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,131,377 times
Same here - broken things. Early morning, not getting fed fast enough. This is a nimble cat who has never broken a thing by accident. I've actually seen her trying to move things to get enough space for traction to jump higher up. But she wants breakfast and you're not ready to get up? You will lose things you love.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM

31,828 posts, read 58,518,496 times
So far, the worst is breaking an antique pitcher that I had wrapped up and put into a box for safe keeping when the cats were young. Cookie managed to knock the box off the shelf it was stored on, and the only thing that broke was the pitcher.

On a everyday basis, when they barf they always manage to place it just where I walk - bottom of the stairs, in doorways, etc.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:04 PM

3,496 posts, read 909,391 times
Coming back from vacation, found a poop in the middle of the bed. Maybe a little statement? On the flip side, finding little cat toys on the couch seat, so we would have something to play with too!

One of our cats brought a little garter snake into the house and promptly lost interest in it.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Status: "Another memory gone. RIP Peter Tork" (set 4 days ago)

3,191 posts, read 3,776,815 times
Years ago I had 4 house cats who had the run of the house (a Tri-level). Got up one morning, came downstairs to the LR and kitchen, went into kitchen and saw that they/someone had gotten on the stove, opened the 2 small cupboard doors above the stove where we kept an old Crisco can for putting in used oil from frying, bacon, etc., knocked it down to the indoor/outdoor carpeted kitchen floor, chewed a hole in the plastic lid and got oil all over the carpet.

That was the last time any of them had the run of the house at night, they now went to bed with us in our closed bedroom. Thank goodness this was before we remodeled the kitchen.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

8,078 posts, read 5,443,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
Funny story and well told. One piece of advice from someone who was a volunteer for years at an animal shelter: if you need to deal with a cat who might sink its teeth/claws into you, wear a pair of long-arm dish-washing rubber gloves. Even in the unlikely event the cat does penetrate the gloves the force of any wound(s) will be greatly reduced. With the gloves on, try to pick up the cat by the back of its neck as its mother would (instead of cuddling it). Even adult cats can be handled that way.
Yours is good advice, of course. The incident I described was entirely my fault. I was in a hurry, it was almost dark, I didn't get hold of like I should have, and when I pulled her off the roof I let her get to close to my face. It was one of those times where you know you're doing it wrong, but can't stop yourself in time to prevent disaster. Lesson learned.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,904,675 times
A number of years ago, our Tucker was sick with pancreatitis over the holidays. He spent a lot of time under the Christmas tree, sleeping. He managed to puke all over the outlet strip that was nearby, and we had to replace that and the tree skirt. It was gross but also kinda funny. LOL

Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 PM

20 posts, read 2,910 times
The worst thing one of our cats ever did was to try to burn the house down. Or possibly he was trying to blow it up; we're not sure, and he wasn't talking.

He jumped up on our gas stove in the middle of the night and bumped one of the burner knobs just far enough that it reached the electronic ignition point on the dial. That's also the point where the highest gas flow is. And the burner involved was the largest and most powerful one, so the flames were shooting up about 8 inches in the air for several hours.

We knew which cat it was because his whiskers and eyebrows were all scorched, though thankfully he wasn't injured. And we're lucky that the knob got turned far enough to trigger the electronic ignition but no further, or we could have wound up blown to Kingdom Come in a house explosion. As it was, our gas bill that month was considerably higher than usual, thanks to our adventurous feline.

I went out and got some of those child-proof stove knob covers the next day. Turns out they're cat-proof, too.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 AM

3,483 posts, read 2,105,501 times
My adorable tuxedo cat, Domino, has never damaged anything, but he does one thing that drives me crazy. I live in a townhouse with an attached garage. Every evening Domino (an indoor kitty) cries to go "out" to the garage. Don't worry, it's clean as a whistle. His favorite place to nap is inside my car in the foot well. That's not so bad, but lately he's taken to napping on the black convertible top of my Porsche and he sheds like CRAZY. I now spend so much time "de-furring" my car that it's driving me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or