U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

21,834 posts, read 4,595,934 times

Advertisements

My Marlie is beginning to get fragile from aging. He's not got any fat or thick fur to keep warm....dsh.

Now I KNOW cats typically get all they need from their coat of fur but Marlie's fur coat always feels cold, his ears are cold etc. even when inside... I do keep my heat lower than most...

He stays on the bed a lot where I have a warming blanket for him.

Thinking of trying a little shirt or sweater.

How ridiculous is that? Would he adjust or just act cat-crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,121,075 times
How he'd react depends on him, but a warming blanket sounds like it should be enough. My cat won't be covered, even just with a blanket or anything. I'm afraid trying to get a sweater on her would get me a trip to the ER. You'd have to try your cat and see. Also just because the outside of the fur feels cold to the touch doesn't mean it isn't holding heat closer to his skin. If you think his coat is not thick, try getting a look at his skin somewhere - I can't get to the skin no matter how I try because my cat's fur is really that thick once you get into it. The vet can't, either, she has to be shaved for any little thing on her skin.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,895,583 times
It really depends on the cat. We have an old guy and I don't think he'd react well to a sweater. If you have a warming blanket and he uses it, that seems like a good solution.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Yes...no cat would likely tolerate an outfit...

I'll just leave him alone then.

Thanks-

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

31,702 posts, read 2,486,532 times
You could try it, but if he refuses the warming blanket is a great idea. This post reminds me of a photo of rescued hens & chickens wearing little woolie sweaters ( feather loss due to stress/overproduction etc)

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 5,425,304 times
I agree that you could try it. Nothing to lose really (except the cost of the sweater). Also, keep in mind that it's going to be cooler down where he's at, compared to where you feel the room temperature. The heated blanket is great for him, and make sure he has ways to get up off of the floor when he needs to.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

7,348 posts, read 2,176,822 times
Maybe get one of these?
https://www.chewy.com/armarkat-burro...SABEgIQK_D_BwE

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You could try it, but if he refuses the warming blanket is a great idea. This post reminds me of a photo of rescued hens & chickens wearing little woolie sweaters ( feather loss due to stress/overproduction etc)
Aww....I can see them now!

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
They'd all 3 love that!

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

19 posts, read 2,265 times
Is he a "caver kitty," the kind of guy who likes to curl up inside things? If so, one thing you might do is to create a hidey-hole on top of his warming pad to concentrate the warmth inside a little cave for him.

My sibling has a cat who is chronically cold and always tries to burrow into blankets or pillows for warmth. She got one of those milk-crate-style plastic boxes and laid it on its side on the floor beside a heating vent. She put a folded up towel inside for a soft bed, and then draped a blanket around and over the crate, just leaving the open side of the box uncovered. Her chilly kitty loves hanging out inside his warm, soft cave, and because it's a milk-crate type of box rather than a solid-walled tub, she knows he won't suffocate.

There's a cat-supply store in our community that sells cat cave-beds made out of felted material, which would also help, especially if placed on or near a heat source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or