Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM

281 posts, read 247,305 times

Advertisements

I got my cat close to a year now. I tried to play with him every day for at least 5 minutes. Other than that, he sleeps close to me. However, he is 3 years old, and I think he needs to be more active since he is so young. I am thinking of getting another cat around his age to play with.

Has anyone tried this? and how does it turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM

2,345 posts, read 614,301 times
I was going to get one kitten - but when I thought about it - I got 2 a brother and sister - 6 months ago. Yes get another cat. Mine just got spayed and neutered last week and they are playing like crazy.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat85 View Post
I got my cat close to a year now. I tried to play with him every day for at least 5 minutes. Other than that, he sleeps close to me. However, he is 3 years old, and I think he needs to be more active since he is so young. I am thinking of getting another cat around his age to play with.

Has anyone tried this? and how does it turn out?
I try to have at least two....it's only fair they have the benefit of a pal of their own kind. They LOVE to play and groom each other.

If you have male get female etc.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I was going to get one kitten - but when I thought about it - I got 2 a brother and sister - 6 months ago. Yes get another cat. Mine just got spayed and neutered last week and they are playing like crazy.
That is smart. I should have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I try to have at least two....it's only fair they have the benefit of a pal of their own kind. They LOVE to play and groom each other.

If you have male get female etc.

I think so too. I am just afraid they don't get along.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
If your cat is active I'm sure he would love a play mate. I'd suggest going to a shelter or rescue group so they can help you match personalities. And of course, do some research about introducing kitties--it needs to be done slowly. A shelter can help you with that too.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Yes, do whatever it takes to get your cat a friend. Five minutes of playtime a day isn't nearly enough for a young cat, and a playmate will help make up for that.

Some things to remember about adopting a second cat......

** Don't be quick to judge a cat's behavior in the shelter. It can be a total opposite outside of that environment.
** Sometimes a young kitten will be accepted quicker by an adult cat.
** If bringing in an adult cat, do a slow gradual introduction. There are many threads here in the cat forum that gives good advice on that.
** Don't expect an instant like or bond to develop with your resident & the new one. Sometimes that will happen, but most often it will take a little time.
** Not all cats will become friends, sometimes it just won't happen, and the best you get is them tolerating each other.

Just some tips to consider. Wishing you good luck in your search.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
If your cat is active I'm sure he would love a play mate. I'd suggest going to a shelter or rescue group so they can help you match personalities. And of course, do some research about introducing kitties--it needs to be done slowly. A shelter can help you with that too.
Thank you Rene. I feel more motivated to get a another cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yes, do whatever it takes to get your cat a friend. Five minutes of playtime a day isn't nearly enough for a young cat, and a playmate will help make up for that.

Some things to remember about adopting a second cat......

** Don't be quick to judge a cat's behavior in the shelter. It can be a total opposite outside of that environment.
** Sometimes a young kitten will be accepted quicker by an adult cat.
** If bringing in an adult cat, do a slow gradual introduction. There are many threads here in the cat forum that gives good advice on that.
** Don't expect an instant like or bond to develop with your resident & the new one. Sometimes that will happen, but most often it will take a little time.
** Not all cats will become friends, sometimes it just won't happen, and the best you get is them tolerating each other.

Just some tips to consider. Wishing you good luck in your search.

Catdad, my cat is currently about 3 years old. How young a kitten should i get? Is 10 months good enough?

Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Yes, explore company for him especially if you really mean you try to play with him and for 5 minutes a day. He needs more interaction. But it does have to be the right one for him.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
There are a few cats who prefer to be loners, but I think most prefer to be part of a pack (and a pack can be only 2 cats). At 3 years, he is young enough to accept a new companion. And getting a young, playful kitty will definitely help with the bonding process.

When we got Sheena after we lost "The White One", Bear took one look at her, hissed & growled and hid in the closet for 4 days. After the fourth day, we pulled him out and closed the door. He sat there glowering at Sheena. Sheena just wanted to play. Every now and again, Bear would jump in to play and then back off as if to say, "No, I DON'T want to play with you." He would go back to watching only to jump back into the play again. After a few days, the two of them were playing and became close buddies.

Cat

Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 PM

2,345 posts, read 614,301 times
When DH and I were first married and he built a house - we had 3 children at that time, with one only a few months old. We got 2 kittens from a neighbor - Sir Punkin and Greybeard. Punkin was named that as he was orange and was tail-less. They were indoor/outdoor cats. SP got in lots of fights with other animals - ended up with cauliflower ears and a scratch on his back that never healed well and ended up being a hairless scar until his death at 19. Greybeard was shot by a pellet gun when he was about a year old - we had him put down because his hind leg was useless to him. It was only SP in our house for a couple of years, when Molly joined, a young, pregnant tabby that showed up on our front porch. She was too young to be pregnant and delivered deformed kittens - not really kittens at all. SP had been neutered shortly after Greybeard died- and Molly got spayed. They got along just fine. another year or two Moe showed up on the back porch he was a young long haired black cat that my 2 year old daughter fell in love with - so of course we kept him, neutered him and the 3 of them got along really well. All three moved from SW TX - to SE TX, SE-TX to CA, from CA to Prescott Valley AZ over the course of 14 years. Moe died first at approximately 14 years old - lymphoma. SP and Molly moved to Flagstaff AZ with us in 2017 SP being the oldest - he was deaf by the time he died. Molly closed her eyes on day about a year later and died. I was heartbroken with the loss of each cat.

I now have Leo and Maxine - part Siamese - Leo long hair, Maxine short. brother and sister. They are only 6 months old - and born on my birthday - so will always know exactly how old they are. Our cats are now indoors only. Back in 2011 when we moved to CA we had to turn our indoor/outdoor cats in to only indoor because of the threat of coyote. Leo and Max race each other, and play all day. Some nights they sleep cuddled next to me, but where ever I am - so are the cats nearby. I love my cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats