U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM

33,565 posts, read 40,238,223 times

Advertisements

Much as i'd like to feed my 19 yr old male cat food out of a can he just wont touch it, we've tried several brand and different consistences and he ignores it and only eats dry food mostly this stuff in various flavors =
https://goo.gl/images/pcdndc .

we do feed him soft food twice a day for years but its a waste of money as he never touches the stuff.
Blood tests show no abnormalities .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,904,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
However, changing the cat's diet could be an obstacle in itself, as the carby food is highly addictive. But if you can make any steps towards lower-carb food that will be beneficial. The higher protein and fat content it has, the better, in my opinion. Good luck.
This is true. Our Benny was my husband's cat before I moved in, and a dry-food addict. It took me YEARS before I switched him over to canned, but it was worth the hassle because he's doing decently for his age. You'll help your cat's health and well being!

Old 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Count me as another voice for canned or raw food. The way I understand it is that the kidneys fail as a result of diabetes from feeding a high-carb diet. If you take the cat off the carbs and put them on a no/low-carb food (raw or canned) the condition will stabilize and maybe even reverse.
Not exactly. I don't think diabetes and CKD are really related in cats (not in the way, for instance, CKD and hyperthyroid are). Both are caused by dry diets and a cat can have both diseases at the same time. The high carb content causes the diabetes. The lack of adequate water in the diet causes CKD.

EDIT: after doing a little reading- diabetes can lead to kidney failure in humans, but it isn't likely the same in cats.

Cats' kidneys are very fragile organs and even a cat eating a wet diet all her life may end up with CKD (like my little girl) but her chances are far better than if she ate dry, and it may also delay the onset for many years, if her body is genetically programed to it.

CKD is never reversible. Once the kidneys begin to fail there is no turning back. Maintenance treatment can last years sometimes, but kidneys are not regenerative.

Incidentally, kidney failure doesn't show up on blood work until kidney function is 75% gone. There is a newer test that may detect it earlier (SDMA), but it seems like I've read it's not as reliable as once thought. Not sure though.

Acute kidney failure, caused by a toxic substance, if caught in time, is not the same and can sometimes be reversed but careful monitoring for the rest of the cat's life will be needed and the cat should never ever eat dry diet..
Quote:
However, changing the cat's diet could be an obstacle in itself, as the carby food is highly addictive. But if you can make any steps towards lower-carb food that will be beneficial. The higher protein and fat content it has, the better, in my opinion. Good luck.
yes those high carb kibbles are addictive. Not just because of the carbs but because they are sprayed with icky flavorings and fats (not good for cats fats, either) to make the cat eat it and develop that addiction. No cat would ever eat something so foreign to their nature, otherwise. The cat can never be satisfied on a diet high in carbs and plant based proteins so they always want to eat more of it, besides.

Any cat can be transitioned, if the human is motivated enough, but it can take a lot of effort and time and patience. It CAN be done though,and is always worth it. Until someone has gotten a cat off kibble, they cannot imagine the difference between simply surviving, and thriving.

Dehydrated vs well hydrated..it's like night and day..

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-21-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 09:50 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,117,248 times
^^Thank you so much Catsmom21 !

Valuable information and greatly appreciated for all of us with furry cat babies

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
You're welcome. I've found the probiotic that is most recommended for kidney support in the Raw Feeding for IBD cats group.

It comes in powder or capsules

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Probiotic...M3TXKKJA3YQ9RM

Sorry thought I had the recommended dose too. I'll have to come back with that.

Old Today, 03:11 PM

200 posts, read 130,906 times
My vet recommended this diet for my sick cat and I gave to her for years. It probably extended her life. The stuff is expensive. She liked it.

I am told by a veterinary professor at the Cornell Feline Health Center (that does research) that there is no proof that it is effective. That was a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or