U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,117,248 times

Advertisements

Could anyone please share what food they have given their cat with kidney issues.

I have a 19 year old cat, she's such a wonderful cat and I'm grateful she's been in such good health.

About a year and half ago the vet said she's at the beginning of having kidney issues. She's been losing a little weight, still has a good appetite.

The vet recommended Royal Canin Renal Support E and Hills Prescription Diet kidney support K/D. (Canned food). So far she likes the Royal Canin, mixed with a little water.

I was reading on the Royal Canin site:

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Renal Support E in gel is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only.

I did reduce the dry food (mainly given as a treat small amount) a few years ago and now have stopped giving dry food. The cat was getting UTI's every summer once I reduced the dry food she was able to go now a year and half without a UTI so that was an improvement.

Also, has anyone tried Feliway Cystease.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you =^..^=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 03:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,904,675 times
We have a 18.5 year old male cat. His kidney values are not bad given his age. We are not feeding any prescription diets because IMO they are low-quality food that is overpriced. Instead, we feed grain-free canned food. If he would eat raw I'd feed that but he was a dry-food addict for many years, so he won't touch it.

You can mix water in with any brand of canned food. The most important thing is that she eats it.

I have not tried the Feliway product you mentioned--in fact, I hadn't even heard of it before. Have you had a full senior panel done? Is she deficient anywhere? Old Benny has low potassium and I give him this supplement mixed into food. It has helped a lot. Please don't use this if your cat's potassium values are within the normal range: https://www.amazon.com/Renal-B000MFR...s%2C140&sr=8-2

I hope cats mom chimes in, as she is very knowledgeable about cats and diet.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM

32,194 posts, read 2,513,851 times
We had a cat with kidney disease, & bought the food from the vet, he refused to eat it, but we had some young kitten cats at that time also & they ate it, so I stopped feeding them with it, as it was not nutritious enough for them. But sometimes when he saw them eat it, he came over to claim the bowl, so then I would add more.
In your case, I would continue to try different foods & see if there is another one he likes, otherwise just stick to the one he is enjoying.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
We have a 18.5 year old male cat. His kidney values are not bad given his age. We are not feeding any prescription diets because IMO they are low-quality food that is overpriced. Instead, we feed grain-free canned food. If he would eat raw I'd feed that but he was a dry-food addict for many years, so he won't touch it.

You can mix water in with any brand of canned food. The most important thing is that she eats it.

I have not tried the Feliway product you mentioned--in fact, I hadn't even heard of it before. Have you had a full senior panel done? Is she deficient anywhere? Old Benny has low potassium and I give him this supplement mixed into food. It has helped a lot. Please don't use this if your cat's potassium values are within the normal range: https://www.amazon.com/Renal-B000MFR...s%2C140&sr=8-2

I hope cats mom chimes in, as she is very knowledgeable about cats and diet.
Thank you for your post, I'll check out the link. I'm glad Benny is doing well

I meant to mention that Bunny has been on a grain free diet for about ten years. I wasn't even sure she would eat this Royal Canin or Hill's since they're not grain free. So far she's been eating this new food.

I do agree with you about the (vet) food being over priced and over processed and not great nutritionally.

It's kinda hard to know what to do. The vet said to have her on low protein, low sodium food.

I did read different sites about several cat owners that felt this Royal Canin renal support E put weight back on their cat and got their health back on track. I guess every situation is different.

Bunny had lab work a year and half ago vet said then her kidney values were slightly elevated but nothing unusual especially for a cat her age.
Just a couple months ago she had a full work up done and again slightly elevated but good for a 19 year old cat. Her thyroid is fine and no indication of diabetes.

I think for right now I'll just alternate between the usual grain free and the Royal Canin renal support E. I add water in with the canned food she loves it.

Thank you

Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 PM

3,823 posts, read 3,937,210 times
Raw food is very good for ALL cats at ALL stages of life. Any raw beats the best canned. Any can beats the best dry food.

But if it were I, I'd try to spend a bit more but if it is only one cat & trying to make the best possible health, I'd spare no expense to give a furbaby the best you can feed.

Now what Raw? SInce RadCat went out of biz, it is harder. Maybe someone here can add to this. Primal is a decent brand, yes some weaknesses, but better than ANY vet canned offerings.

Ok, hope catsmom can help on here. She is very good at raw food diets.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 PM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
I am not an expert by any means but this is what I know:

The "renal" diets are mostly based on outdated theories that cats with CKD need reduced protein. This is, in fact, false. CKD cats need just as much protein as any other cat. What matters is the quality of the protein. "Renal diets' substitute carbohydrates for protein, and corn as a protein source. All bad. Not to mention, reducing the protein can and does lead to muscle wasting. The cat's body begins to cannibalize itself with the protein restriction.

The premise behind the "reduced protein" and corn as a protein source is to reduce phosphorous. Meat is high in phosphorus. Blood work will determine if a cat's phos levels are elvated. If they are, there are special supplements and probiotics that can reduce the uptake of phosphorus, without limiting the cat's nutrition.

A cat with CKD should never ever be fed any dry food at all. Another failure by the vet diets, pushing dry diets on CKD cats is just criminal in my opinion..

Feed your Bunny good quality low carb canned foods. Add water to increase hydration. If her phos is high, look into phos binders like calcitrol, or can use niacinimide (B3), and certain probiotics can help with elevated BUN..

Raw diets are safe for CKD cats, but the only commercial raw diet that was okay for CKD cats was Rad Cat, because Rad Cat did not contain bone. Bone in the diet makes the diet too high in phos for a CKD cat.

Someone wanting to feed a CKD cat a raw diet would do best with a pre-mix muscle meat completer such as FoodFurLife's EZcomplete for cats, designed for all life stages and safe for all health conditions. Alnutrin also makes an egg shell calcium pre-mix for muscle meat but liver must be added as well. (these can also be used for home cooked meats)

The benefit of making a cat's diet at home is you can tweak it to suit. When constipation becomes an issue you can increase the fat, for example, and add egg yolk. Well you can do that with canned too I guess. You can certainly add egg yolk (or some good fat, like goose or duck fat) to a canned fed diet to help with constipation.

Most of this information I have picked up from following in the raw feeding for IBD group. Initially created for IBD cats, it has expanded to address any feline illness and the focus is on diet first and foremost, and holistic or homeopathic treatments, whenever possible, while also not being anti-western medicine. .

The FB group has a lot of resources addressing the supplements I've mentioned here, but searching a FB group as you may or may not know can take hours to find the info you want/need.

Dr Pierson of catinfo.org has this to say about vet diets..scroll down to find the section on kidney diets.

https://catinfo.org/#Prescription/Therapeutic_Diets

Bottom line, no dry food ever. CKD cats need a diet high in moisture and good quality meat sourced protein.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 PM

^^^ Thank you so much Catsmom21, you're quite knowledgeable and really understand the complexity of a kidney support diet for a cat.

I will reread your valuable information and check out the link.

I really appreciate the time you took to write such a detail post and Bunny is most appreciative, too.

Thank you so much for caring and healing these beautiful animals.

70's Music Girl & Bunny

Old 02-21-2019, 05:23 AM

5,960 posts, read 12,146,027 times
Thank you for your kind words. These are the things I would research and look into using if I was faced with CKD now. The trouble will be getting the vet to support more natural approaches. They want to push poor quality dry diets and sub q fluids, I've never understood why. Sub q is not a bad thing, when the time comes, but dry high carb grain based diets for CKD (or any) cats is insanity!

My last (and only, so far) CKD kitty was fed a wet diet and received sub q and stuck around for another 3 years after her diagnosis. She also had other issues, hyperthyroid, megacolon and severe arthritis. I didn't know about all those supplements and things back then (she's been gone 10 years), but I did know she needed a wet meat based diet, not restricted protein.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 98 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
They want to push poor quality dry diets and sub q fluids, I've never understood why. .
Need a vet for new cat who their owner who's moving abroad can't keep. Has anyone anywhere had luck finding someone not owned by mars the candy company?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

1,060 posts, read 567,706 times
Count me as another voice for canned or raw food. The way I understand it is that the kidneys fail as a result of diabetes from feeding a high-carb diet. If you take the cat off the carbs and put them on a no/low-carb food (raw or canned) the condition will stabilize and maybe even reverse.

However, changing the cat's diet could be an obstacle in itself, as the carby food is highly addictive. But if you can make any steps towards lower-carb food that will be beneficial. The higher protein and fat content it has, the better, in my opinion. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or