Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
They take it from the ear. With a glucose meter designed for animals.
You can use a human glucose meter. The Feline Diabetes Board has a guide on how to interpret the readings using a human monitor. The advantage to the human monitor is the cost. It's considerably cheaper than the pet monitor and the testing strips are $0.10 or so per strip vs $1.35 per strip on the pet monitor (pricing when I had my diabetic cat). You can also buy replacement strips on demand locally versus ordering in advance online. Most vets who don't routinely treat diabetic cats don't know this. You can provide your vet with data from the FD board about using a regular monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Your vet probably told you this already, but you need to have some Karo syrup available, in case the cat goes into a blood sugar "crash". My Biggs did this just a few times, major symptom is paralysis of the rear legs. You just put some Karo on your finger and wipe it on the tongue, works fast.

Of course the Karo is likely to raise blood sugar more than you want, but if it goes out low, you do what you have to do.

You need to dose insulin just before "breakfast" and "dinner", if the cat gets the shot, the cat has to eat, you have to make sure they eat something or they will for sure crash.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Your vet probably told you this already, but you need to have some Karo syrup available, in case the cat goes into a blood sugar "crash". My Biggs did this just a few times, major symptom is paralysis of the rear legs. You just put some Karo on your finger and wipe it on the tongue, works fast.

Of course the Karo is likely to raise blood sugar more than you want, but if it goes out low, you do what you have to do.

You need to dose insulin just before "breakfast" and "dinner", if the cat gets the shot, the cat has to eat, you have to make sure they eat something or they will for sure crash.
So we were told to feed him first, and then give the shot which is now a half dose compared to previous. Everything is really going well -- I'm not going to fix what isn't broken at this point. We'll probably return to the vet in about 3 months and see what the numbers look like.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
So we were told to feed him first, and then give the shot which is now a half dose compared to previous. Everything is really going well -- I'm not going to fix what isn't broken at this point. We'll probably return to the vet in about 3 months and see what the numbers look like.
My vet told me that it's not uncommon for a cat to convert back & start producing it's own insulin. Hope that's the case for your boy. My girl Angel has not, but that's ok, she's doing quite well.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:04 AM

I need to update the good folks who contributed information here. Thanks to the no carb /all moist food diet, the vet yesterday said that the cat no longer has diabetes. Thank you!!!!

We will need to do one more checkup in a few weeks to make sure the diabetes hasn't come back, but I am amazed at the results.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I need to update the good folks who contributed information here. Thanks to the no carb /all moist food diet, the vet yesterday said that the cat no longer has diabetes. Thank you!!!!

We will need to do one more checkup in a few weeks to make sure the diabetes hasn't come back, but I am amazed at the results.

That is terrific news and thank you for the update. The power of a species appropriate diet!

Old 08-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Sorry to have to report back that we had to put the cat to sleep just yesterday. It was very unexpected as his diabetes was under control, but the vet did warn us that diabetes can also mean that the cat has other underlying issues. And he had some major digestive issues which couldn't be fixed. He was a terrific cat and will be missed dearly, but gave us 16 years. We have had to put 4 pets to sleep over the years (2 dogs, and 2 cats) and this one was very tough. We'll be pet-less for a bit of time and then start up again with some younger kittens.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM

20,860 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Oh no!!!

RIP kitty. And condolences to you and your family.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Oh no!!!

RIP kitty. And condolences to you and your family.
Thanks James. It's been a rough day for me.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 PM

357 posts, read 224,824 times
So sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats