U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM

4,958 posts, read 3,364,123 times

Advertisements

Poor Elvira. Whenever we have a thunder storm, she usually cowers on the back stairs (we have two staircases). I try to reassure her but she shakes with fear.

Last night, she was pretty much petrified in the upstairs hallway. I petted her and went into the bathroom. She followed me in but she crouched so close to the floor when she walked. She then cowered next to the toilet. I had something to do and when I was done, I was going to grab her and bring her to bed to try to reassure her but she had disappeared and I couldn't find her. No doubt, she found a hidey-hole.

I want to reassure her but I must admit that I get a bit nervous during storms but TRY not to let it show because I know she would pick up on it.

So what would be the best way to reassure her?

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 03:05 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,083 times
I wish I had a good answer for this. Our Sadie is nearly 11 and is also afraid of thunder storms. We have tried calming treats, but we don't always know when a storm is coming so they are of limited use. We have a Feliway diffuser plugged in all of the time.

Our "answer" to this is to let her hide where she wants, which is usually in the basement. If it's dinnertime, I'll call her and she'll usually come (though often slinking up to eat and then disappearing again).

Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 PM

8,697 posts, read 6,140,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I wish I had a good answer for this. Our Sadie is nearly 11 and is also afraid of thunder storms. We have tried calming treats, but we don't always know when a storm is coming so they are of limited use. We have a Feliway diffuser plugged in all of the time.

Our "answer" to this is to let her hide where she wants, which is usually in the basement. If it's dinnertime, I'll call her and she'll usually come (though often slinking up to eat and then disappearing again).
That's pretty much what I do too. Both Angel and Sheba get nervous when it thunders. Angel has a bunker in the closet under the staircase, and Sheba's go to place is under the bed. They usually hunker down there until a while after it stops, then they come out as if nothing happened. I try not to make a fuss over the storms, as Cat said, they pick up on that stress.

Btw- I usually know a storm is in the area before turning on the tv. My girls here them a good 30 minutes before I do and disappear.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:02 PM

21,093 posts, read 9,866,679 times
My dog developed a fear of thunderstorms later in life which I think he "learned" from the neighbors dog that used to stay with us, and he with them. The cats never really seemed to mind. However, my friends cats were scared and they gave them some meds they got from the vet. I assume a form of anti anxiety med. Kitty Xanax of some sort. I think it's normal for them to hide as they would in the wild, so don't think the meds are necessary. Unless she is displaying dangerous behavior, I'd let he be.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM

6,949 posts, read 3,804,246 times
We took in a stray/abandoned kitten who followed my daughter home. He would always run down in the basement or under a bed his entire life (16 years old) with T-storms. We let him do it. I suppose he never forgot his kittenhood being outside?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM

10,657 posts, read 3,222,555 times
We get massive thunder storms here in KC and they don't bother my cat at all. In fact, if it's not raining too hard she actually likes to go outside (in a sheltered spot of course) and watch the storm.

If it's a REALLY loud thunder clap she'll look up and maybe be a bit startled, but not that big a deal. Ordinary thunder, she doesn't react at all.

So I guess I have no advice.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 PM

6,365 posts, read 13,078,622 times
Thunder can usually be heard long before a storm gets close. How about giving Rescue Remedy (the pets version) a try when you hear it.

4 drops in a little bit of food or on a treat or two. Or rub it in her ears (the upright part) or along her lips.

My girls aren't bothered by the noise, though they can sometimes react to the change in barometric pressure, long before the storm comes, going a bit whackadoo. Once the storm arrives they tend to go to sleep.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 PM

4,764 posts, read 11,552,381 times
Recently, a storm hit while I was snoozing with Blaliko in the living room. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning struck right in front of the house - complete with a fireball. The noise and the sight jolted me awake with a few choice words. The cat was unfazed. She just hopped down as though nothing had happened. Seteria is similarly not affected by this kind of weather activity one bit.
Contrast that to the late great Weasie, who used to beg to be let into the basement as soon as inclement weather began and wouldn't be heard from for hours afterwards.
No advice here, beyond letting the cat hide where it will.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:17 AM

18,898 posts, read 11,900,367 times
Since we have thunderstorms almost every day here in Florida, our two at home have gotten pretty used to them and sleep through even the worst storms. However, Mama Kitty hides under the recliner in the shop office, I guess from all those years of being feral.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 AM

6,365 posts, read 13,078,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thunder can usually be heard long before a storm gets close. How about giving Rescue Remedy (the pets version) a try when you hear it.

4 drops in a little bit of food or on a treat or two. Or rub it in her ears (the upright part) or along her lips.

My girls aren't bothered by the noise, though they can sometimes react to the change in barometric pressure, long before the storm comes, going a bit whackadoo. Once the storm arrives they tend to go to sleep.
Typical cat..made a liar out of me last night. We had a string of violent storms come through. The 15 year old snoozed, the 9 year old sat at the sliding door and watched the show. She would go off about other business after it passed, but as soon as the next one came through she was back at the door watching.

My kitty who left me in January (cancer) was fascinated by thunderstorms all her life. I always wondered if it triggered some feeling/memory in her. The summer I rescued her we had one of those summers with thunderstorms every single afternoon. She was raising a family of four in a deserted barn at the time.

After being trapped and spayed and brought forever home with me, she seemed to have a real fascination with storms all her life. Was she remembering that summer in the barn...? Or just the feeling of it perhaps?

And as I am writing this I am realizing...the 9 year old I just mentioned? After the cancer kitty died, the 9 year old took over all her Jobs. Some, after a few trials, she discarded as unnecessary but a few she has carried on with diligence. It seems now that she has decided that Thunderstorm Watching is also worth carrying on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats