U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:58 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,293,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
There is no point in trying to "wait it out" and force her into eating something she doesn't want to eat. This is just too dangerous to do with cats. Feed her wet foods she will eat.

Later, when she's fully recovered from her surgery and all the stress, you can start working on improving her diet again. Right now, wet food or raw food, whatever kind she will eat, is what's best for her.

Haha, i know im getting so bullheaded I can see my nose in front of my face. can u say stress? Yeah, I know she'll eat almost any flavor of Friskies I offer when she smells "Chompers" (the feral)& his food served out back. So yep just give up for now, give her whatever she'll eat is best only way, I guess.

Tho til a few months ago I never broke every cardinal rule feeding cats I had since I learned re raw diets -- even w/ my feral boy.

Unreal, continues to be my saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,174,341 times
Feed her what ever she will eat.

All in all, any wet food is going to be better than even the best dry. While friskies of course is not desirable, it is not exactly abuse of a cat if they are fed it, and all in all, it does provide what they need to survive and thrive though of course not being the best quality for them.

In any medical issue, especially where eating is a concern, let them eat whatever, whether it is FF, friskies, etc.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Feed her what ever she will eat.

All in all, any wet food is going to be better than even the best dry. While friskies of course is not desirable, it is not exactly abuse of a cat if they are fed it, and all in all, it does provide what they need to survive and thrive though of course not being the best quality for them.

In any medical issue, especially where eating is a concern, let them eat whatever, whether it is FF, friskies, etc.
Can't rep you yet but... I appreciate the backup & advice. Will do.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,466,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This is the cat section. Cats should not be fed kibble, ever.
Yes. Hence me supporting vet's suggestion of feeding cheap canned food. Sorry if that was unclear.

When I was talking about kibble I was talking specifically about dogs.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:48 PM

No arguments!

Hey hate to say this but she's lovin' her Friskies as did the feral just now. he ate his 1/2 of the 13oz can out back & she ate the rest inside here. He's much bigger (maybe 12 plus lbs) & she's only 8lbs -- wet -- at most indoors here.

Anyway, yes the kibble is not good for cats as we cat ppl usually know (unless you're more well to do than I $-wise, as my sis, yet think kibble is fine *smh* as u can't convince some ppl) & for dogs I have no experience w/ kibble so can't comment.

But yes, she is eating Friskies junk but hey, least she's eating!

Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 PM

370 posts, read 303,202 times
If you want to fatten her up, mix in kitten food. High fats, nutritious. Never met a cat that didn't appreciate kitten food.

I use canned mackerel when they're finicky. They even tire of that.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:04 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,229 times
When a cat of mine doesn't eat, all options are on the table:

- any canned cat food (try adding water to make a sauce or slurry)
- any canned kitten food (higher protein and fat content)
- homemade chicken stock or bone broth (just meat/bones; no salt/onion/garlic)
- wheatgrass or oatgrass, or other veg they might like
- canned salmon, tuna, mackerel
- raw meat (chicken, turkey, beef, lamb)
- cooked meat (gently poach in water)
- raw or cooked liver (chicken or beef)
- baby food (meat only, or meat with squash/pumpkin are good)
- try toppings like BarleyCat or bonito flakes

Heating the food in the microwave for a few seconds makes it more aromatic and appetizing.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM

1,851 posts, read 519,118 times
My cat's vet has always told me the same thing - better to have them eat something than nothing. When my cat doesn't want to eat I offer him:

any canned cat food
any canned kitten food
canned tuna
baby food (chicken, beef - just the meat ones)

Old 09-03-2019, 10:26 AM

TY everyone as I get desperate as w/ g/f yet til unknown date in hospital & cat thru recent right eye removal surgery ( cat depressed w/out g/f's love on her) it is hard! She's out of pain (cat) so gave her RadCat deer this morn & ate it ok.

Just every meal has become a crap shoot as whether she'll eat or if I need asap an -- emergency change on the spot. This is harder than running a hospital staff of an emergency dept at a trauma center! I kid u not!

It was not like this bad a month ago prior to hell breaking loose w/ g/f going to emergency & cat going into emergency eye removal surgery. What is going on? Black cloud over me? if things come in 3's guess I'm next!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 AM

44,893 posts, read 3,420,216 times
whichever one she will eat, maybe get a can of both & see how she reacts. Eating something is better than eating nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats