U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,236,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
When a cat of mine doesn't eat, all options are on the table:

- any canned cat food (try adding water to make a sauce or slurry)
- any canned kitten food (higher protein and fat content)
- homemade chicken stock or bone broth (just meat/bones; no salt/onion/garlic)
- wheatgrass or oatgrass, or other veg they might like
- canned salmon, tuna, mackerel
- raw meat (chicken, turkey, beef, lamb)
- cooked meat (gently poach in water)
- raw or cooked liver (chicken or beef)
- baby food (meat only, or meat with squash/pumpkin are good)
- try toppings like BarleyCat or bonito flakes

Heating the food in the microwave for a few seconds makes it more aromatic and appetizing.
This! Excellent post. I usually resort to meat baby food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:35 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,293,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
whichever one she will eat, maybe get a can of both & see how she reacts. Eating something is better than eating nothing.
TY too, & yes she seems normal as had a good amount of RadCat chicken just a bit ago as her 2nd meal of day.

She usually eats one more time before going to bed all nite (til I awake at 3am & feed her 4am breakfast again).

It'll be around 4-5pm (her dinner tonite) & then she goes to bed at 6pm or so til 3am until she awakes w/ me.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:39 PM

44,893 posts, read 3,420,216 times
I am glad to read she is eating

Old 09-03-2019, 02:21 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,174,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This is the cat section. Cats should not be fed kibble, ever.

Purina is a corrupt multi billion dollar organization that does not care about pets and their low quality diets are often subject to recall..

However my response to the OP is, feed her whichever wet foods she will eat. Feed both Friskies and FF, (both Purina products) and feed other brands too if she will eat them, that way the risk is reduced if there is something wrong or missing from either one.

The Rad Cat you have must be getting close to it's expire date, and that may be why she is rejecting it. Not that there is anything wrong with it at all (as long as it is stil within date), but the flavor may be affected as it sits in the freezer for so long.

My last tub (turkey) has the expire date 1/24/2020. The cat who always ate RC turkey daily for years has been refusing it for some time. The other cat is eating it, two meals a week, but she did not get this flavor when I was using it all the time, so she possibly doesn't notice any difference, where as the other cat, who ate it for years, notices a difference, since she was used to it always being much fresher than that.

Maybe. I am only guessing of course.
Yes, Purina of course is not ideal and oh how I wish could be better, but they come in at a price point of 10 cents an ounce, which makes life for me and the dozens of cats I feed better. As of yet, I have not found a higher quality food at the same price point.

If I were to expand my feeding budget, it would just go towards feeding more cats, not higher quality food.

Purina and others like it, through their price point for many of their products, allow many, many cats (dogs also?) to get fed. While it is not the optimal diet, it is much better than the alternative for many cats.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am glad to read she is eating
TY, so very much am I too

Old 09-03-2019, 03:55 PM

6,359 posts, read 13,068,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, Purina of course is not ideal and oh how I wish could be better, but they come in at a price point of 10 cents an ounce, which makes life for me and the dozens of cats I feed better. As of yet, I have not found a higher quality food at the same price point.

If I were to expand my feeding budget, it would just go towards feeding more cats, not higher quality food.

Purina and others like it, through their price point for many of their products, allow many, many cats (dogs also?) to get fed. While it is not the optimal diet, it is much better than the alternative for many cats.

Yeah, I know. I just felt compelled to make that point that is is not high quality food. Some people think it is, for some reason. I have said, in this thread, to feed her either or both, or whatever other wet food or raw she will eat, while she recovers from her ordeals.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yeah, I know. I just felt compelled to make that point that is is not high quality food. Some people think it is, for some reason. I have said, in this thread, to feed her either or both, or whatever other wet food or raw she will eat, while she recovers from her ordeals.
she a finicky lil girl tho. It is really just fickle, as one min Radcat is ok the next it isn't. I think your point re shelf dates (all our in code yet) but it could be less appetizing if older.

Now Blackie, outside, could not care less about shelf dates/codes/flavors/brands/color of bowl/etc. as he gobbles everything but the dish! So, we got her inside being picky, as well she should be after going thru this &... now too her missing my g/f, i think, to point of over sleeping w/ a touch of depression despite my extra extra attention other than as she rests/sleeps.

This hopefully will sort out -- by Christmas, I hope, haha.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Just finished RadCat deer for her dinner.

ALL raw today -- a 1st in a wk!

Old 09-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Ty again all! Update today: ate her RadCat Deer -- for breakfast & lunch!

Old 09-04-2019, 03:31 PM

1,241 posts, read 681,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ty again all! Update today: ate her RadCat Deer -- for breakfast & lunch!
Woohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats