U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 174 times

Advertisements

Hi! I recently got my 2 5 month old Male kittens neutered, today in fact. The vet sent me home telling me to keep them separated in crates for 2 weeks, no playing, no running and definitely no licking. They had 0 anesthesia effects ..right out of the vet eating, wide awake, and ready to play. I've had kittens albeit 17 years ago and we just kept an eye on the wound. And kept them inside. Its not possible for me to keep them separated or to watch them 24/7 so they dont lick or run or play. I can stop excessive licking. But I dont know what to do. I dont want to do bad by my kitties. But at the same time, they are litter mates who had a real rough start in life. And cry when they cant see each other in the other room....we dont have different rooms to lock them up. And 1 crate. And 2 weeks? I feel like a bad pet owner now if I cant do it. I'm being a horrible mommy to my baby boys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 PM

718 posts, read 349,172 times
That sounds kind of absurd to me honestly but of course I am not a vet. Young male kittens should recover much faster than a more developed adult or a female. Can you lock them together in a small bathroom perhaps by day 2 or 3? At least they could not run long distances and not much to climb (get the shower curtain out of reach). Or at least provide some out of cage time a few times a day. . . Maybe not full normal activity as they might be too adventurous but geesh. . .

Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 AM

16,795 posts, read 10,711,499 times
when I get a feral kitten neutered and bring him home, I just open the cage and let him take care of himself. I do have a dish of food waiting but the priority seem s to be getting away from me.

They do just fine.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM

13,814 posts, read 18,366,452 times
Did I read that correctly - a 2 1/2 month old got neutered by a vet?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:58 AM

16,795 posts, read 10,711,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Did I read that correctly - a 2 1/2 month old got neutered by a vet?

no. That's two 5 month old kittens.

kinda did a double take on that one too.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:32 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
This sounds a bit extreme to me. We've had cats neutered and they come home and do fine. Yes, keep an eye out to make sure they aren't licking their genital area, but IMO you can let them be together. Maybe keep them in a small room for a day or two and see how they do.

I think they're going to be just fine.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 AM

16,731 posts, read 14,192,271 times
Just let them run around, they will be fine.

I am not a vet, just speaking from experience fixing dozens and dozens of cats and kittens, and not one time a vet ever suggesting such a thing.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 15,611,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carollynnreed View Post
Hi! I recently got my 2 5 month old Male kittens neutered, today in fact. The vet sent me home telling me to keep them separated in crates for 2 weeks, no playing, no running and definitely no licking. They had 0 anesthesia effects ..right out of the vet eating, wide awake, and ready to play. I've had kittens albeit 17 years ago and we just kept an eye on the wound. And kept them inside. Its not possible for me to keep them separated or to watch them 24/7 so they dont lick or run or play. I can stop excessive licking. But I dont know what to do. I dont want to do bad by my kitties. But at the same time, they are litter mates who had a real rough start in life. And cry when they cant see each other in the other room....we dont have different rooms to lock them up. And 1 crate. And 2 weeks? I feel like a bad pet owner now if I cant do it. I'm being a horrible mommy to my baby boys

Many of us have had kitties all our lives, 2 or 3 at a time, and they all get along just fine. Please do NOT segregate them in a room with you. Kittens need loving attention, they are littermates and already have a head start in 'bonding'; you say they cry when they don't see each other. There is you answer, plain and simple. Don't separate them .... give them extra love. That is what they need while 'recovering'.

While you're at it, get a vet who is not a 'scaredy cat' himself.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM

45,306 posts, read 3,436,349 times
When we did TNR, the vet would ask us to keep them inside for 24 hours & then let them go back into the wild. I find 2 weeks a very long time. Maybe just the first night. Call & ask for his reasons.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:00 PM

8,697 posts, read 6,141,772 times
Your vet is being overly cautious at best, if not just plain ignorant about cats. IMO there's no need to separate them, crate them, confine them, restrict them in any way. It's just not necessary. Males recover very quickly from neutering, and actually even female spaying doesn't affect require much after care either. Keep an eye of the incisions for any redness or anything that doesn't look right, but other than that just let them be kittens. They are most likely over it by now anyway.
I have raised and spayed-neutered somewhere around a dozen kittens in the past 30 years, and have never had any post-op problems. They'll be fine. The whole thing was probably harder on you than it was them.

Oh, and congratulations on your new owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or