Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 AM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Could he have lived with some smokers in his previous home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Could he have lived with some smokers in his previous home?
I believe he was homeless or feral (though he doesn't act feral).
But that's a definite possibility. He's well into maturity. I do love him. He sure hates earthquakes. We have them around the clock right now.

Last edited by hunterseat; 09-10-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 06:37 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Default Love them like it's their last day.

We just lost Smokey this morning. We woke up to hear her in respiratory distress, I won't go into the details but we're very traumatized right now. I signed onto the cat forum just to try and comfort myself. We had her 12 years and she had developed raspy coughing fits. She was also slowing down and was getting unusually needy which we gladly accommodated. She was just seen by the vet last month and although no X-Ray was done, we were told she was good for her age. We both knew it wasn't a good situation this morning and the vet came in to see her fairly quickly which we appreciated, did an chest X-Ray and showed us the what she felt was cancer, several ring like tumors in her lungs. There was no option but to put her to sleep as she was cyanotic and suffering. So now we're suffering and grieving, but know that we gave her a good home and loved her. Our surviving feline Ash is walking around aimlessly wondering where she is. Smokey was mostly attached to my spouse who is back in the study looking at scrap books and humming the song we used to sing to her, it's killing me. I'm not sure I would have wanted to know she had cancer because we would not have put her through any cancer treatment. We were able to say our good-byes and both held her while she went to sleep.

So the point of this post is to say love your babies each day like it's their last because you never know what's around the corner. We're older and have lost 5 dogs and 2 cats over the years and it's always traumatic, and many of them developed issues rather quickly so you just never know. I was honestly relieved when my mom passed from Alzheimers after years of suffering, and the same for my dad who passed after after an agonizing year of chemotherapy. Today I was not relieved, and part of me died, I cried like a baby and will likely do so again, as the capacity to love animals seems unlimited compared to loving humans for some reason, even human family members. I remember when my dad's hunting dog passed, my mom commented that he cried more for his dog than he did his own parents when the passed. I never saw him so crushed but learned later just what he was going through. People who have never loved a pet as their own family, have no concept of this but I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
We just lost Smokey this morning. We woke up to hear her in respiratory distress, I won't go into the details but we're very traumatized right now. I signed onto the cat forum just to try and comfort myself. We had her 12 years and she had developed raspy coughing fits. She was also slowing down and was getting unusually needy which we gladly accommodated. She was just seen by the vet last month and although no X-Ray was done, we were told she was good for her age. We both knew it wasn't a good situation this morning and the vet came in to see her fairly quickly which we appreciated, did an chest X-Ray and showed us the what she felt was cancer, several ring like tumors in her lungs. There was no option but to put her to sleep as she was cyanotic and suffering. So now we're suffering and grieving, but know that we gave her a good home and loved her. Our surviving feline Ash is walking around aimlessly wondering where she is. Smokey was mostly attached to my spouse who is back in the study looking at scrap books and humming the song we used to sing to her, it's killing me. I'm not sure I would have wanted to know she had cancer because we would not have put her through any cancer treatment. We were able to say our good-byes and both held her while she went to sleep.

So the point of this post is to say love your babies each day like it's their last because you never know what's around the corner. We're older and have lost 5 dogs and 2 cats over the years and it's always traumatic, and many of them developed issues rather quickly so you just never know. I was honestly relieved when my mom passed from Alzheimers after years of suffering, and the same for my dad who passed after after an agonizing year of chemotherapy. Today I was not relieved, and part of me died, I cried like a baby and will likely do so again, as the capacity to love animals seems unlimited compared to loving humans for some reason, even human family members. I remember when my dad's hunting dog passed, my mom commented that he cried more for his dog than he did his own parents when the passed. I never saw him so crushed but learned later just what he was going through. People who have never loved a pet as their own family, have no concept of this but I know many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yes, I'm sure most here do know, and we "get it". So very sorry for your loss, and believe me, I know what you're feeling now.

Going to go give my two girls a cuddle on Smokey's behalf.
Run free at the Bridge, little guy.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:50 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Oh no so sad to hear that judd!!

Hang in there, you know you did the best for this cat you could have and gave him a wonderful life.

He is running free in the Rainbow Bridge right now. *cries*

Old 09-15-2019, 07:14 AM

Judd2401... my heart hurts. I recently discovered my beloved dog of 13yrs, as he underwent surgery for fatty tumors, had cancer. I had to process that, make a decision and say goodbye all within a few minutes. Hard tho believe he's gone. But we know, when we adopt and give our hearts away to these furry family members, our hearts will be broken.

Hugs to your family.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Update on the Ju- kitty. Vet visit today. I apologize for forgetting but he was given an antibiotic shot that is most affective for lungs. That was last March (and again today). She wants him to have it annually.

I showed her a video of his coughing/wheezing fit. She said it's like an asthma wheeze and can sometimes be triggered. (Or can be random)

He got his butt cleaned. No fever. Bladder infection. A little blood in his urine. Normal stool.

A pill/day for a week. Fun!

Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Update on the Ju- kitty. Vet visit today. I apologize for forgetting but he was given an antibiotic shot that is most affective for lungs. That was last March (and again today). She wants him to have it annually.

I showed her a video of his coughing/wheezing fit. She said it's like an asthma wheeze and can sometimes be triggered. (Or can be random)

He got his butt cleaned. No fever. Bladder infection. A little blood in his urine. Normal stool.

Good for your KITTY!

Old 12-18-2019, 05:20 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
My Nimbus has asthma, and we have used albuterol inhalers for attacks, and daily Flovent for some time with him. You can order a spacer thing, the AeroKat spacer, from Amazon, it's similar to what they use for babies, you hold the mask part over their face and there's a little valve you can see moving when they breathe. Ten breaths for each puff of medicine. It helps but he still gets attacks now and then. Often when he's gotten carried away with the zoomy-friskits, dashing about the house and up and down the stairs like a maniac. I've gotten really good about knowing how much play is OK before I need to get him to rest, so he doesn't overexert himself.

Other than the asthma, he's a really fit cat, though!

Old 12-18-2019, 11:25 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Glad to hear he is on the mend!

I am somewhat confused - an antibiotic for asthma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats