U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 02:50 PM

11,576 posts, read 8,814,754 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for him when he's having a coughing/ wheezing fit.

Those aren't that frequent but I feel like I could maybe thump gently to help loosen anything up?

That's what you do for kids. I'm a mom. The cat doesn't seem to mind.

He seems to yawn a lot, too.

My son's voice coach once said yawning (while singing) was his body's way of increasing oxygen.

Poor old chonk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 03:00 PM

16,732 posts, read 14,192,271 times
What disease? like the cat has been diagnosed by a vet? Being treated?

Generally, do not touch the cat, let them do what they need.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 PM

What would the treatment be? Breathing treatments? Asthma inhaler?

He has the lungs of a coal miner... Fully vetted.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 PM

8,697 posts, read 6,141,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What would the treatment be? Breathing treatments? Asthma inhaler?

He has the lungs of a coal miner... Fully vetted.
What did your vet say, if anything? I'm curious if one could give a cat inhaler or nebulizer treatments (and if it would do any good). Does he have congestive heart failure too, or just reduced lung function.

I realize I'm not a cat, but I suffer from COPD and use dry inhalers and daily nebulizer treatments (Albuterol), that basically keep me breathing and able to function. In my condition I don't have a lot of mucus build-up, but there is a little bit of that and the Nebulizer (vapor) treatments I take are supposed to help bring that up.

I don't know, I would hope there would be something therapeutic you could do for him.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:32 PM

10,705 posts, read 3,228,104 times
Sounds like asthma?

My cat has mild asthma. When she seems stuffy or maybe has a mild coughing spell I give her prednisone. If it's a severe attack I take her to the vet ASAP. Fortunately she often goes long periods between attacks. They seem worse in winter.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 PM

3,630 posts, read 1,545,820 times
My cat was just recently diagnosed with asthma and is on prednisolone, with a warning that an inhaler may be in her future. I think giving her a thump while she's trying to breathe at the same time as bringing up mucus would not be helpful.

Does your cat have an actual diagnosis?

Old 09-06-2019, 11:32 PM

I don't think there's really anything that can be done. He has other issues and he's not a young cat.

I'm afraid to grill the vet too much for fear she will tell me more than I want to hear.
She went over his xray with me. His lungs are black. She didn't call it lung disease but when I went back and asked for a copy of his records the tech looked at them and said "oh. I see he has lung disease."
Well he has other stuff, too. But we caught and treated his bladder infection so yay!

He has a thickening of some part of his digestive system which might explain the throwing up when he eats too much at once. And he has a perpetual scab/owie on his. ..um...bottom.
I don't know if it's mucus or not in his lungs. He did the cat arch stretch today - not common for him and ight caused him to cough. :/

Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 PM

I do really appreciate all the replies.i realize is not common. He's from the pound. Probably feral or homeless. No telling what his story is.
Great... sideways. Any help from mods is always appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Else Have a Cat with Lung Disease?-20190825_122415.jpg  

Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,240,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't think there's really anything that can be done. He has other issues and he's not a young cat.

I'm afraid to grill the vet too much for fear she will tell me more than I want to hear.
She went over his xray with me. His lungs are black. She didn't call it lung disease but when I went back and asked for a copy of his records the tech looked at them and said "oh. I see he has lung disease."
Well he has other stuff, too. But we caught and treated his bladder infection so yay!

He has a thickening of some part of his digestive system which might explain the throwing up when he eats too much at once. And he has a perpetual scab/owie on his. ..um...bottom.
I don't know if it's mucus or not in his lungs. He did the cat arch stretch today - not common for him and ight caused him to cough. :/
IMO you should take his X-rays and paperwork to another vet and get a second opinion. This is not a real diagnosis. Were you given any treatment options?

As for the digestive system, what kind of food are you feeding him? He may benefit greatly from a raw diet if he has IBS or other issues. That would likely help with his bum issue too.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
IMO you should take his X-rays and paperwork to another vet and get a second opinion. This is not a real diagnosis. Were you given any treatment options?

As for the digestive system, what kind of food are you feeding him? He may benefit greatly from a raw diet if he has IBS or other issues. That would likely help with his bum issue too.
She's the best in the valley. I love her.
To be fair, she called it something else. The tech said lung disease.

She stood me in front of the xray and explained everything. And his lungs are black. Not sure where he lived to breathe in so much pollution. This is where I got him.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Else Have a Cat with Lung Disease?-fb_img_1567867214843.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats