U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM

4,498 posts, read 7,328,923 times

Advertisements

The saga of White Dot begins on a cold and rainy Saturday night, March 9, 2019. I went outside and the poor guy was huddled against the house, cold and wet and pathetic and mewing. We'd been wanting to catch him for the catch-fix-release program. I patted him, I fetched a cage, and I grabbed him by the scruff of his wet little (actually thick and iron-like in its hardness) neck and with just a few scratches, we had him. He'd be warm and dry and fed, but caged.

At any rate, the fix-it shop had not been taking cats for two Mondays in a row due to cold weather. Monday the 11th they were taking kitties. It was a mob scene and if I knew then what I know now, I'd have waited a day to drop him off. But I didn't know then what I know now.

I picked him up on the 12th and took him home. It was a warm day for March, so after a while of calming down I opened his cage door. I expected him to bolt but he hissed and scurried under a car and off to a Secret Hideout somewhere among some boxes in the garage.

Now we have to go back in history to set the stage. White Dot is a stray, one of an apparent family group of five who started appearing maybe 21/2 years ago. Probably coming from the Cat Lady's house across the street.
At any rate, we've caught-fixed-released five now and only lack one or two males. The cats took quite some time to warm up to us even after we started feeding them, but eventually White Dot and the other alpha male, Taurus, got very friendly and learned to love to get patted and scrunched and they'd roll around at our feet. Too cute.

So...I brought White Dot home, opened his cage door and expected him to bolt for The Great Outdoors, and he went into hiding instead. I fed him and watered him and trained him to a litter box, starting out with dirt like he was used to and slowly transitioning to kitty litter which works much better.

But the sweet friendly loving White Dot was gone, instead there was a shell of the sweet kitty that, if I occasionally caught sight of him, he'd hiss at me. I talked with the fix-it joint and discovered they'd used Convenia as the antibiotic of choice, and after doing some research on Convenia concluded that that was the most likely culprit in WD's personality change. It could've been something else. There were 80 cats in that day for surgery, that in itself sounds traumatic.*At any rate, he had a 180 degree personality change.

Occasionally he'd let me talk to him for 30-60 seconds, then he'd had enough and would hiss and depart.*This went on through April and May and June. We were wondering if we had The Man Who Came To Dinner living in our garage.*
Occasional sightings, eye contact, talk to him, then he'd splitsville. But he was eating and drinking and pooping and peeing and since we'd started this mess we owed it to White Dot to care for him as long as rehab took. Basically White Dot is a very sweet boy, very affectionate.

FINALLY and out of the blue, on July 10--July 12 was his four months home-from-surgery anniversary--something happened. I heard a meowing, not like that of our insiders. I went out to the garage and WD approached me, cautiously but definitely. He was the old White Dot again, he let me pat and scrunch him and he'd roll around and act goofy and purr and just enjoy getting affection. This lasted about 15 minutes and then it was time for him to head to his lair again.

We'd been leaving the kitchen door to the garage cracked because although the garage is heated and cooled--heated is more effective than cooled, definitely--I wanted some cool house air to migrate out there to keep the temperature reasonable. I'm sure three of our insiders went out there form time to time, and maybe even River the Shy did too, but she's very stealth so it's hard to know what she's done.
So every morning and every evening I'd hear this meow meow, it was WD who wanted some scrunching. He came inside a few times, the two alpha females hissed at him and the other two girls ignored him. WD got patted and scrunched regularly and he became more bold and social. But he's a sweet boy so that's not surprising. I guess the in-Convenia finally wore off, or whatever trauma he experienced finally retreated and he was able to come out of his shell.
This continued until July 23 when I had the garage door open to take the trash out. I'd opened it many times before but WD never made a move. Today was different. The family group of Taurus, Pots, Curly, and TJ were hanging around after their breakfast, and a couple of them went into the garage when I opened the door.

Curly was the boldest, she's a very cute sweet little female (Pots is mom, Taurus we guess is dad, TJ is son and our insider Inky is the third kid, a daughter) and she went way inside under a car. White Dot came out to the door and then he went outside. Wow wow wow. A happy day, WD is feeling human or feline again! A sad and a happy day. White Dot was back where he wanted to be, we're not sure he'd have integrated well as the fifth (wheel) insider, and he went back to his life as he used to live it. Born Free! And sad because I'd lost my buddy, he wasn't around all the time to meow and get scrunched.
So White Dot disappeared, tasting his freedom I suppose. I worried about him because he hadn't shown up again, not even for dinner.*I took a walk over to the next block about 8 pm to see if he was hanging around over there. I got up at 5 the next morning and walked around the house but no sign of anyone. No surprise there I guess.

But at about 8:00 am, chow time, WD was there along with fellow alpha male Taurus, and Pots, TJ, Curly (aka PJ, Pots Junior--TJ is of course Taurus Junior).* Old times again.
This whole group has its genesis around April of 2017, when a pretty grey cat took up residence in our back yard. She just showed up one day, as cats will do, and she slept many long hours in the cool grass. We fed her I'm sure, I think. And she was pregnant. Surprise! Sometime in August we saw three goofy kittens playing on the ramp to the tool shed. Too cute, doing kitten stuff, hopping around and playing bop and chase and all that stuff.*White Dot was the first other cat to show after Pots (shortened from Cat With Spots Who Circles), because for the longest time she'd circle us in a most wary fashion.

She's still skittish today, she finally started rubbing on my wife's legs and then mine, and in the last few months she's gotten coy and done her skittering by at mealtime closer and more slowly. So I've gotten a few good pats in on her back, she so wants to be patted (I think) but her instincts keep her at arm's length.

And that, briefly, is the Saga of White Dot, catch-fix-release, in-Convenia, and another sweet kitty making his way through life.

*(I don't know where these asterisks are coming from, I didn't put them there.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,540,858 times
Other than the Convenia, I enjoyed reading that. We have strays here, too, and I feed them sometimes. The first few were passing through when we just arrived and our cat wasn't having it. But two lonely years later, she hollers out the window and sometimes a cat comes. I shooed away the first one with the eye infections (poor thing, and have guilt ever since). So now we have a yellow and white one that I see here and there, but no TNR anywhere. I leave food for the yellow guy now and then, but it could take forever to get near this one.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Other than the Convenia, I enjoyed reading that. We have strays here, too, and I feed them sometimes. The first few were passing through when we just arrived and our cat wasn't having it. But two lonely years later, she hollers out the window and sometimes a cat comes. I shooed away the first one with the eye infections (poor thing, and have guilt ever since). So now we have a yellow and white one that I see here and there, but no TNR anywhere. I leave food for the yellow guy now and then, but it could take forever to get near this one.
Persistence! This little pack wouldn't come near us for the longest time. The two females, mother and daughter--Pots and Curly (her tail curls up and to the left)--still stay at arm's length. Pots will scurry by us to get a pat in passing, as we're serving their plates, but that's as good as it gets.
Curly rolls around all goofy when I'm patting the two alpha males and they're rolling around on their backs (hopefully not clawing each other or me) as if to say "Me want that too!"

The males came around slowly, the two alphas Taurus and White Dot were the first and they're loving being patted and scratched now. Roll on their backs, chins and throats exposed to get scrunched, the whole nine yards. They both have separation anxiety (wife's diagnoses) but they're sweet kitties.

And some will never come around to that level.

Keep on keeping on! I always thought cats were pretty solitary critters until we met this crowd. Definitely a pride here, a pack of kitties.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 PM

16,786 posts, read 10,700,818 times
sounds so sweet. Pictures maybe?

Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 418,316 times
^Seconding pictures!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM

10,613 posts, read 3,209,885 times
The Saga of the White Dot sounds like the name of a Jefferson Airplane song.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 PM

I've never posted a pic here before. Where do I start?

He IS a very handsome boy!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:29 PM

10,613 posts, read 3,209,885 times
You can do an attachment if you do Post Reply. Not the Post Quick Reply, but the regular Post Reply with the blue button.

It's got a paper clip icon.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,540,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You can do an attachment if you do Post Reply. Not the Post Quick Reply, but the regular Post Reply with the blue button.

It's got a paper clip icon.
Then you upload from your computer and hope it doesn't tell you it's too big. You can reduce the pixels or crop the picture if it does - it'll tell you the acceptable size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or